The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2018, 01:42 AM   #31
wfreed22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Please explain why?
Because of the popularity of the SD43 which I would attribute 50+% to the red text. Why wouldn't Rolex want to release a watch that would sell well?

Also I'm not saying this would happen tomorrow so the SD43 would still have it's time in the spotlight but I wouldn't say never...
wfreed22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 01:48 AM   #32
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
my shopping list,,,

slimmer lugs, lug holes, no crown guards, bevelled case, aluminium bezel insert, red triangle , true gilt dial, and plexi instead of sapphire, 10mm crown.

Then just sell them freely to whoever wants to buy them, regardless of what other watches they have bought or the numbers of followers they have on instagram.

that would be a start.
You've pretty much described a Tudor Black Bay (plexi and crown aside)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 01:50 AM   #33
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
I was going to say the same thing, you beat me to it!

As a side note, Rolex transferred everything to ‘no lug holes’. I honestly never see them going back from this. Unless, they released some ‘heritage’ model in the future.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 01:57 AM   #34
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Red sub is not happening, get real
This. The Sub does need an update but then again it's only really us enthusiasts that care. They sell more than they stock with the thing.

Give it classic proportions again. If it needs to be bigger, then just make the thing bigger rather than turning the case into a square hunk of steel. A 41mm Sub, classic lugs with the updated movement would be perfection.

They don't need to sell their bread and butter with a red line.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 02:11 AM   #35
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
This. The Sub does need an update but then again it's only really us enthusiasts that care. They sell more than they stock with the thing.

Give it classic proportions again. If it needs to be bigger, then just make the thing bigger rather than turning the case into a square hunk of steel. A 41mm Sub, classic lugs with the updated movement would be perfection.

Honestly, I’d be cool with no increase in size. Just shave the case a bit, add the movement. No real major redesign needed or production facility overhauls. Easy breezy
Old 8 June 2018, 02:21 AM   #36
storm66
"TRF" Member

Plenty of room for two....
Red text Sub to run alongside the Red text SD...
If they hadn’t put the cyclops on the SD!..... what were they thinking
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 03:12 AM   #37
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Honestly, I’d be cool with no increase in size. Just shave the case a bit, add the movement. No real major redesign needed or production facility overhauls. Easy breezy
I could live with 40mm as well but a lot people want bigger watches. They could still say it is 40mm lol..like they have with other models that are actually 39mm.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 03:57 AM   #38
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVal07 View Post
Could not agree more. It looks out of place on the SD and was an unnecessary “enhancement” to the SD43. Minus the cyclops, it would have truly been a perfectly logical change to the lineup. That said, lots of folks on here love it, so you buy what you love.

I can’t see the intro of red text on the Sub. Feels gimmicky to me without an anniversary model being introduced as the sole reason.
When you get to my age you're gonna be happy as well with the enhancement
Old 8 June 2018, 07:30 PM   #39
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post

Quote:
I doubt that Rolex would simply shave the lugs and add a new movement. The reason? It could be seen as a regressive step back to the style of the 4 & 5 digit subs.

Yes, you could say that Rolex did that with the SD43 by bringing back the red line of text and the slim lugged case proportions, however, they made it bigger and added the cyclops as differentiators.

Old 8 June 2018, 07:32 PM   #40
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i have a 58 on order
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 07:46 PM   #41
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I doubt that Rolex would simply shave the lugs and add a new movement. The reason? It could be seen as a regressive step back to the style of the 4 & 5 digit subs.

Yes, you could say that Rolex did that with the SD43 by bringing back the red line of text and the slim lugged case proportions, however, they made it bigger and added the cyclops as differentiators.
But they just did this (albeit slight) to the GMT. I’d definitely like to see more than that knocked off.
Old 8 June 2018, 08:01 PM   #42
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But they just did this (albeit slight) to the GMT. I’d definitely like to see more than that knocked off.
Don't forget the small matters of a jubilee bracelet and a pepsi bezel (neither of which would work on the sub)

Old 8 June 2018, 08:09 PM   #43
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I think it very well may happen at some point. It’s the “near future” part I doubt.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 08:33 PM   #44
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I doubt that Rolex would simply shave the lugs and add a new movement.
That's exactly what they did with the DSSD and most seem to love it. All Rolex would need to do on the Sub is throw on a wider bracelet with wider endlinks, cut the area between the lugs accordingly (which would make them slightly narrower) and throw in a 32xx. You'd have your slight update that would matter significantly with only small changes.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 08:45 PM   #45
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Don't forget the small matters of a jubilee bracelet and a pepsi bezel (neither of which would work on the sub)
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 08:47 PM   #46
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
That's exactly what they did with the DSSD and most seem to love it. All Rolex would need to do on the Sub is throw on a wider bracelet with wider endlinks, cut the area between the lugs accordingly (which would make them slightly narrower) and throw in a 32xx. You'd have your slight update that would matter significantly with only small changes.
Not quite with the Deepsea. Rolex didn't *just* reprofile the lugs and add a new movement, they changed the bracelet and clasp to wider versions and changed the ring lock text

My point was I doubt Rolex wouldn't simply shave the Sub's lugs and add the new movement. There would have to be more (such as the wider bracelet and clasp as you've suggested) Although having posted renders of just that on here, a 2 mm wider bracelet doesn't have the "right" proportions with a 40mm case and you'd still have a "square" sub.

Old 8 June 2018, 09:05 PM   #47
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My point was I doubt Rolex wouldn't simply shave the Sub's lugs and add the new movement. There would have to be more (such as the wider bracelet and clasp as you've suggested) Although having posted renders of just that on here, a 2 mm wider bracelet doesn't have the "right" proportions with a 40mm case and you'd still have a "square" sub.
The "square" look comes from how the tips of the lugs are shaped. They could change this without having to change the resulting width of the lugs from a 21~22mm endlink and matching bracelet. That's part of why the new DSSD and SD43 lugs look narrower.

There wouldn't have to be more. There might be more but there wouldnt have to be. After all, we're just speculating here.
Old 8 June 2018, 09:06 PM   #48
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not quite with the Deepsea. Rolex didn't *just* reprofile the lugs and add a new movement, they changed the bracelet and clasp to wider versions and changed the ring lock text

WHY ARE YOU SO SELFISH?!

YOU HAVE YOUR PERFECTLY PROPORTIONED SD43 AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PERFECTLY PROPORTIONED LITTLE BROTHER. CAN WE NOT HAVE A LITTLE LOVE TOO?!?!!!

But actually not kidding, I want to see that. What would be even better, is for them to re-release a 40mm SD. But I think it’s too early to start asking Santa for presents.
Old 8 June 2018, 09:07 PM   #49
2024 Pledge Member

Old 8 June 2018, 09:14 PM   #50
Lz4000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfreed22 View Post
Which makes me question why they put a cyclops on the new SD, could of had two unique watches and two different markets. Feels like they made a SD for sub fans.
Only reason is that they finally managed to glue that piece on the glass, withstanding 4000ft. Will happen to the Dipsy as well in a few years I guess.

To differentiate from the sub. They put red line and 43mm case
Lz4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 09:24 PM   #51
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfreed22 View Post
Because of the popularity of the SD43 which I would attribute 50+% to the red text. Why wouldn't Rolex want to release a watch that would sell well?

Also I'm not saying this would happen tomorrow so the SD43 would still have it's time in the spotlight but I wouldn't say never...
The current one does not sell well?

Where does your 50% statistic come from?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 09:32 PM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Not red but could it be orange? PP just put this into the Aquanaut to everyone's great surprise, and Rolex will naturally be watching that development and reception closely. AP already have that colour so it would be in good "aristocratic" company. More likely in another model though.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 09:34 PM   #53
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WHY ARE YOU SO SELFISH?!

YOU HAVE YOUR PERFECTLY PROPORTIONED SD43 AND I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PERFECTLY PROPORTIONED LITTLE BROTHER. CAN WE NOT HAVE A LITTLE LOVE TOO?!?!!!

But actually not kidding, I want to see that. What would be even better, is for them to re-release a 40mm SD. But I think it’s too early to start asking Santa for presents.

I'd love to see one too. The subs deserve to be beautiful again

Old 8 June 2018, 09:39 PM   #54
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz4000 View Post
Only reason is that they finally managed to glue that piece on the glass, withstanding 4000ft. Will happen to the Dipsy as well in a few years I guess.

To differentiate from the sub. They put red line and 43mm case

The SD43 marks the 50th anniversary of the sea dweller. The SD43 looks back to the original single Red Sea dweller which was the first sea dweller. When Rolex created the original single red SD the intention was to have a cyclops incorporated into the plexi glass. However, the glass could not survive depth testing with the cyclops so Rolex abandoned the cyclops for the sea dweller. The sd43 marks the fact that Rolex has now developed the technology to make the cyclops viable at sea dweller depths.

There is nothing inconsistent about the cyclops and the sea dweller.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 10:52 PM   #55
Alpino
"TRF" Member

If 126610 size have all chance to stay at 40mm (like the new Gmt2) when made available, the difference with SD43 could be the glidelock clasp.

Rolex seems to work on a new version, hybrid of actual glidelock and easylink :

Alpino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:53 PM   #56
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Red sub is not happening, get real
I remember a lot of people also saying that there is no way Rolex would make a SS Daytona with ceramic bezel. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:05 AM   #57
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Why don't they release a SS Smurf??
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:07 AM   #58
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBateman View Post
Why don't they release a SS Smurf??
They probably will. On a jubilee bracelet, and change the smurf dial to black. You know, to differentiate it so the WG smurf owners aren’t mad.
Old 9 June 2018, 02:01 AM   #59
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Quote:
They probably will. On a jubilee bracelet, and change the smurf dial to black. You know, to differentiate it so the WG smurf owners aren’t mad.
Wow that sounds beautiful. Put me on the list!
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 03:57 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBateman View Post
Wow that sounds beautiful. Put me on the list!
Done, you are already 7th at your local AD.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote