The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2018, 03:38 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I told them before Brexit, buy as many steel sports Rolex as you can lay your hands on. The ones who followed my advice are now rich and retired.
to be fair they were not readily available before hand... then the currency tanked and they raised the prices in November (5 months later) and today the pound has recovered a bit. So basically prices relative to USD are at about the same point now as just before the vote/currency fall.

Its still less though, as im based in USD and paid $1000 below US retail (including sales tax) for my SS BLRO in London and that is without getting a VAT return. Hypothetically with a VAT return it is about $2500 cheaper. So, the prices are still not balanced now nor were they two years ago.

US pricing plus an average 8.25% sales tax is $10K which is what i would have paid in Houston at an AD. UK pricing in USD with tax included is $9k. That is just an example, but its true across the board for all models.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 03:45 PM   #32
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
£8500 is on the lower end BNIB....I’ve seen way over £9k.

I paid under £6k for mine but they are extremely strong.
I could be wrong (and most likely will be) but people paying that sort of money will be into a loser eventually. Whilst the new 6 digit model Rolexes look great I’m not sure they will have the same nostalgia and desire in the future as the 4 and 5 digits do. 5 digit GMTs seem to be getting very very strong.

But I guess the guys paying 50% over retail (or 300% for the BLRO) don’t really care about this kinda thing.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 06:23 PM   #33
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I could be wrong (and most likely will be) but people paying that sort of money will be into a loser eventually. Whilst the new 6 digit model Rolexes look great I’m not sure they will have the same nostalgia and desire in the future as the 4 and 5 digits do. 5 digit GMTs seem to be getting very very strong.

But I guess the guys paying 50% over retail (or 300% for the BLRO) don’t really care about this kinda thing.
If you buy to wear, future value is irrelevant.

If you buy at a premium today, say £9k and intend to wear but get bored/fancy a change after 10 years, maybe you get to sell the watch at £8k (obviously a total guess) then it’s cost you £100 per annum plus the cost of inflation to enjoy a great watch for a decade, which I’d say is excellent value.

It’s only if you buy purely with the intention of making money that you’d be a loser, in which case frankly I think schadenfreude would nicely cover my reaction. Of course, expecting to make money on a new, mass-produced watch whilst paying a huge premium in the first place would represent the height of optimism.*

*Substitute with rude word of your choice.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 12:40 PM   #34
Sk224
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Dulwich View Post
I know an AD in London that has one right now. PM me and I’ll give you the details. You may just end up becoming the proud owner of a BLNR sooner than you expected.

PM me please!
Sk224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 04:36 PM   #35
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk224 View Post
PM me please!
Don’t think it’ll be that simple lol

Surely if an AD does have one they’ll be ultra selective who they sell it to? (Assuming it’s at RRP)

These watches are very hard to get in the UK and most will only sell to VIP clients who are local and known to them. They also only want to sell to those who they are certain won’t flip.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:15 PM   #36
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

It's incredibly difficult to source one from an AD. It's lowish pricing coupled with its low distribution makes it nigh on impossible to find readily available. You'll need to be a VIP or big spender to obtain one.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:20 PM   #37
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Before the Brexit vote and when the GBP was quite strong vs the USD and other major currencies, SS pieces were relatively easy to obtain in the UK because they were relatively expensive compared to continental Europe (especially for international visitors). However when the GBP weakened post-Brexit vote, all the international visitors swept in for a bargain. However with several price increases and ADs limiting wait lists to local customers only, I would imagine there will be more opportunities for local London residents. But ehat likely happened is that flippers have all swarmed in recently wanting to make a quick buck, making it still difficult for regular watch enthusiasts from getting these watches.

Yeah let’s blame Brexit. I can guess how you voted.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 12:38 AM   #38
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Easy to get, just not from AD. If you really want it, simply pay a bit more, you have the money, and enjoy life.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 02:18 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I told them before Brexit, buy as many steel sports Rolex as you can lay your hands on. The ones who followed my advice are now rich and retired.
You didn't know Brexit was gonna happen, odds were very much against.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2018, 09:56 AM   #40
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/in...ue&sortorder=1
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710blnr , united kingdom