The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2020, 02:56 AM   #1261
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
2019 might be the best one so far.

I haven’t been able to snag a bottle yet.
Strong cherry notes for me. I had never had BB before only 1920 and greatly preferred BB but I am no expert.
Old 18 January 2020, 10:26 AM   #1262
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
The Whisky Thread

This week’s picks...
I’m beginning to appreciate
barrel proof juice
Little Book Chapter 3
Stagg Jr batch 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 04:01 PM   #1263
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
That’s funny. Those 2 are my exact haul from this past weekend as well. Both taste fantastic. Enjoy!!

Also picked up a Redbreast 12 as per The Dak. Thanks Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMtimes5 View Post
This week’s picks...
barrel proof juice
Little Book Chapter 3
Stagg Jr batch 13

Old 18 January 2020, 11:02 PM   #1264
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I recently procured a bottle of Weller's Full Proof. Secondary market prices around $500 USD. I could be convinced to part ways with this unopened bottle.
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 11:42 PM   #1265
Scottyg927
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbart View Post
I recently procured a bottle of Weller's Full Proof. Secondary market prices around $500 USD. I could be convinced to part ways with this unopened bottle.
I’d say secondary for wfp is around $300 from what I’ve seen...$500 maybe when it first came out.
Scottyg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:09 AM   #1266
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyg927 View Post
I’d say secondary for wfp is around $300 from what I’ve seen...$500 maybe when it first came out.

Even that isn't terrible. I just did a perfunctory search at the likes of drizly and flaviar.
Old 19 January 2020, 01:41 AM   #1267
thedak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This week’s picks...

Stagg Jr batch 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodie9 View Post

Also picked up a Redbreast 12 as per The Dak. Thanks Matt.
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:56 AM   #1268
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbart View Post
Even that isn't terrible. I just did a perfunctory search at the likes of drizly and flaviar.

I have seen several change hands around 250-275 many of those store picks.
Old 19 January 2020, 07:17 AM   #1269
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

This weeks deliveries!!!

dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 07:23 AM   #1270
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I have seen several change hands around 250-275 many of those store picks.
For that, I think I'll try to pick up a second one. Have my cake, and eat it too.
Old 19 January 2020, 07:48 AM   #1271
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Sucks that Nikka is discontinuing US service prices have jumped... Ugh, sound familiar???
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 08:10 AM   #1272
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Cracked a 2019 OFBB earlier and damn it was delicious. Going to have to grab a few more.
"... a few more." Wow, you must have a great hook up. My shop got 1 bottle. Yes, 1 bottle in 2019, and one last year, but it broke in transit and wasn't replaced. (I think all of N. Nevada got a case of 3...) They sell a lot of OF but I don't think the allocation for OFBB is based on OF sales, at least not in Nevada. I would love just ONE bottle, let alone multiples. The only shot I have is to go secondary, which seems absurd to me right now...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 08:17 AM   #1273
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
"... a few more." Wow, you must have a great hook up. My shop got 1 bottle. Yes, 1 bottle in 2019, and one last year, but it broke in transit and wasn't replaced. (I think all of N. Nevada got a case of 3...) They sell a lot of OF but I don't think the allocation for OFBB is based on OF sales, at least not in Nevada. I would love just ONE bottle, let alone multiples. The only shot I have is to go secondary, which seems absurd to me right now...

My liquor store, which is massive, told me they didn’t get any which I don’t believe.

Don’t let me mislead you I paid 400 a bottle lol
Old 21 January 2020, 08:59 AM   #1274
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
My liquor store, which is massive, told me they didn’t get any which I don’t believe.

That's not the worst I've heard! And honestly, I am willing to pay good money for really good booze, even above MSRP, if I think it's worth it. It's when I pay above secondary and then dislike it that I have a problem on my hands ***COUGH... Old Fitz 11... COUGH***

Picked up the Kentucky Owl Batch 9 right before I left on deployment earlier this month, cracked it open and that was my last pour. Paid $279 for it, and it was worth every penny. Nose was great, coated the tongue well, and the finish went on forever. Had a friend pick up the KO Rye Batch 3 for me, but it'll be almost a year before I can crack it. That completes my KO Rye vertical with fresh bottles to dive into when I get home, so I'll probably do a tasting.

Picked up an Elijah Craig 18 Year at retail before I left, and a few other good bottles that are waiting at home for me...
Old 21 January 2020, 09:00 AM   #1275
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
This weeks deliveries!!!

Dang, that's a good score. That OKI has been non-existent for several years. I've looked around online trying to score one, with no luck.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:03 AM   #1276
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Found this while out shopping, couldn’t resist taking it home.

1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:03 AM   #1277
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
This week’s picks...
barrel proof juice
Little Book Chapter 3
Stagg Jr batch 13

I have two of the LB Chapter 3, and also happened to complete the Chapters 1-3 all in one swing. My guy at my shop happened to have a Chapter 1 sitting in the back, one last bottle of Chapter 2 on the shelf, and got the 3 in just for me. I also snagged the latest batch of Stagg Jr, which got rave reviews from pretty much everyone who's tried it.

Didn't get to open any, but I'm sure to crack them immediately when I get home later this year.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:05 AM   #1278
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Zach1 View Post
Found this while out shopping, couldn’t resist taking it home.

Nice! that's been sitting around for a while, I'm surprised it made it through the year! I got the C919 batch, it's phenomenal. I've heard the A119 was even better
Old 21 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #1279
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's not the worst I've heard! And honestly, I am willing to pay good money for really good booze, even above MSRP, if I think it's worth it. It's when I pay above secondary and then dislike it that I have a problem on my hands ***COUGH... Old Fitz 11... COUGH***

Picked up the Kentucky Owl Batch 9 right before I left on deployment earlier this month, cracked it open and that was my last pour. Paid $279 for it, and it was worth every penny. Nose was great, coated the tongue well, and the finish went on forever. Had a friend pick up the KO Rye Batch 3 for me, but it'll be almost a year before I can crack it. That completes my KO Rye vertical with fresh bottles to dive into when I get home, so I'll probably do a tasting.

Picked up an Elijah Craig 18 Year at retail before I left, and a few other good bottles that are waiting at home for me...

I respect you for playing by the rules. I tend to get excited by online trading groups (cough TRF) and cant help myself to try stuff.

I bought a willet 10 year rye recently and honestly I prefer the 4 year. When it come to liquor or food etc you never know if you’ll like what the experts say is good.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:25 AM   #1280
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:

Are you referring to Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond? I just bought a bottle a few months ago for about $60. When you say OFBB, just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:25 AM   #1281
Clinton Ave
Banned

^He's referring to the OF Birthday Bourbon, not BIB.
Clinton Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:41 AM   #1282
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Ave View Post
Thanks!! Haven't heard of that one.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:59 AM   #1283
jsavoie88
"TRF" Member

Anyone have any experience with Kentucky Owl Confiscates? Picked up a bottle, but haven’t cracked it yet.
jsavoie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #1284
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavoie88 View Post
Anyone have any experience with Kentucky Owl Confiscates? Picked up a bottle, but haven’t cracked it yet.
Confiscated. Yeah, I like it, and picked up a second bottle to have in reserve. I let a group of my buddies try it and they all loved it. Looking at it for what it is, being a sub-100 proof, presumably large batch bourbon, I don't have any issues with it, so long as I can get it for around $100. The KO name has exploded recently and it's no longer the "boutique" bourbon it used to be, so people start to rag on it without trying the juice inside. It's still a quality bourbon, in my opinion.
Old 22 January 2020, 12:42 AM   #1285
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
I respect you for playing by the rules. I tend to get excited by online trading groups (cough TRF) and cant help myself to try stuff.

I bought a willet 10 year rye recently and honestly I prefer the 4 year. When it come to liquor or food etc you never know if you’ll like what the experts say is good.
Honestly, I have no real option than to play by the rules! My area gets very little allocated booze, and if they do, it goes to shops that mark it up 1000%. I'm not willing to do those deals, on principle alone. Also, most states don't ship alcohol to Nevada, so I can't even find stuff online and ship it, except for a very few online stores, most of which are selling at high-secondary (or even more). Tack on shipping, and it's a terrible deal. I usually just go buy a bottle of something I know I'll like instead, like Baker's 107, OF 1910/1920, or whichever new Bookers is out. We aren't far from Truckee, CA, which is basically the same, with high prices (it's a ritzy mountain town, akin to Boulder, CO). Kind of like building a relationship with an AD, I prefer to spend my money at one store where the manager knows me and will try to take care of me as best as he can given his resources. He just offered me a Whistlepig 18 at retail but I passed it up because I gave up on WP a few years ago. But he also offered me an Elijah Craid 18 a few weeks before I deployed, and basically drops a Blaton's in my lap any time I'm in there.

I honestly haven't been impressed with much of the Willett Rye I've had, either. Everyone "loves" it, maybe because of the hype. Or more likely because everyone's palette is different.
Old 22 January 2020, 01:38 AM   #1286
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Correct thanks
Old 22 January 2020, 03:17 AM   #1287
Clinton Ave
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsavoie88 View Post
i had a few more pours over the weekend. I'm really starting to like it. It's good enough that I also went and picked up a reserve bottle. $125 is steep so I won't go for a third anytime soon, but I really like it.
Clinton Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #1288
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dang, that's a good score. That OKI has been non-existent for several years. I've looked around online trying to score one, with no luck.
It’s very tough to find, and when I do find it for a decent price I tend to snag them. The blaum is the same quality MGP greatness!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #1289
ashbaug2
Banned

My guy sent me this picture today. It’s mine! I’ve been asking and asking, and somehow one slipped through the distributor’s fingers and found it’s way to my shop. It’s not MSRP, but it’s not even CLOSE to secondary.

Can honestly say I’m over the moon about this one. Can’t wait to crack it later this year when I get home (currently deployed)...

Old 22 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #1290
jsavoie88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Confiscated. Yeah, I like it, and picked up a second bottle to have in reserve. I let a group of my buddies try it and they all loved it. Looking at it for what it is, being a sub-100 proof, presumably large batch bourbon, I don't have any issues with it, so long as I can get it for around $100. The KO name has exploded recently and it's no longer the "boutique" bourbon it used to be, so people start to rag on it without trying the juice inside. It's still a quality bourbon, in my opinion.

Quote:
i had a few more pours over the weekend. I'm really starting to like it. It's good enough that I also went and picked up a reserve bottle. $125 is steep so I won't go for a third anytime soon, but I really like it.

Thanks for the responses. Awesome to hear y’all enjoyed it! Looking forward to trying it. Cheers!
jsavoie88 is offline   Reply With Quote