The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 November 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
mks4
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
IWC Aquatimer 3536-01 Ti Review

Hello there,

I recently picked up a near NOS IWC 3536-01 Aquatimer and thought I'd give a review. I tend to write lengthy ones, so bear with me...or don't!

About a month ago, I had the chance to head into Munich with some family and decided to visit Meertz after periodically checking their website. I was with my father, who also loves watches, and we unknowingly both had an interest in the 3536 that the shop had for sale. A wild coincidence as this shop had/has so many interesting and desirable pieces for sale. In the end, though, after visiting the shop 3 times over 2 days, it was me who decided to pull the trigger. I had told myself in the months before that I would only focus on Rolex, but the chance to buy something this iconic, IMO, at a price more reasonable than almost any Sub led me to crack open the wallet.

So what is this thing?

Well, the 3536-01 is an Aquatimer from IWC, part of the GST line, and is notable because of its titanium (Ti) construction, 2000m depth rating sans helium valve and the fact that it's one of the last pre-Richemont designs from the IWC. It was available from around 1998 to around 2004. Personally, I had loved this design from day 1 when I saw it in the case more than 10 years ago and when flipping through the wonderful hardback catalogs from IWC (I stupidly sold my old IWC and IWC-Porsche catalogs on eBay but that's another story). It's clean, has an almost-military look and exudes the same 90's Teutonic style that makes most of the old IWC-Porsche watches so collectible. In fact, this thing looks as if "Porsche Design" would not be out of place on the dial. It was also available in steel with black dial and polished center links and in a very rare steel with white face.

The watch I bought was originally sold in 2001 in Germany and was later sold to Meertz as part of a 48(!!!) watch private collection. The condition on this baby is almost NOS with a couple light scratches to the bracelet and a little nick in the top of the bezel.

The review:

The dial:

The dial on the Aquatimer is a very basic black and white design with great legibility. Everything other than the chevron-style 12:00 and the pointed ends of the hour and minute hands is rectangular or linear. The dial finish is matte and the writing is simple in caps and not overwrought in the least. Date window blends with the dial and is without surrounding. The date disc itself is a dial-matching black with white writing. The only negatives I see are the fact that the date can be a bit tough to read due to its smaller size and the gorgeous, needle-like sweep seconds hand can almost "disappear" against the minutes hand or against the hour markers. Also, there is no AR and glare can crop up...not a deal-breaker to me.

As some may notice in my picture, the lume looks funky on the dial because the 12:00 (and the bezel pip, but more on that later) looks different than the rest of the dial. Well, as noted on the dial, this is a T Swiss T version and IWC decided to use Tritium for the 12:00 and pip while using luminova for the other areas. So, we have aging at different rates. It should be noted that if the watch were sent to IWC and the dial were changed, an all luminova, or possibly Superluminova, dial would be used. I don't see quite the comments on value related to dials on IWC's, but I have to believe that like on a Rolex, originality is key. It should also be noted that the T Swiss T dials were only used for the earlier part of the production run so there is variation within the OEM run. Lastly, lumination on this piece has largely gone, but reports seem to state that it was never a world-class shiner versus such stalwarts as the Seiko Monster or the Omegas.

The Bezel:

Here's an interesting, and judging by reviews on other sites, a controversial piece of this watch. The bezel on the 3536 must be pushed in towards the wrist in order to turn. It's unidirectional with 60 clicks per rotation. Also, unlike the rest of the watch, it's made of stainless. The bezel is knurled all the way around except for an area that juts out around the 12:00 bezel pip. The area that just is a ding collector but adds a little character to the otherwise stark appearance. The double row knurling around the rest of the bezel looks fantastic and solid. Numbers on the bezel are raised and surrounded by a sunken black-colored area. It's a serious look with nice readability. Here again, the pip on this version is tritium and has aged nicely. Replacement bezels use luminova. The controversial part of this bezel relates to the fact that it must be pushed in to use. This spring-loaded design (picture below showing it depressed) inherently creates a gap between the bezel and the case where dirt and debris may become lodged. Fear not as the bezel is supposedly easily removed with a tiny screwdriver and screws seen just below the bezel. Sadly, mine is missing the toolkit, but it's only a screwdriver. Also, I don't see myself wearing this every day as there are too many other pieces that need wrist time! One concern is that if the watch is worn daily and becomes dirty underneath the bezel, it needs to be cleaned or the dirt can create wear and, later, slop in the ratcheting system. Frankly, I love this bezel and it feels so tight and precise in its movements...very deliberate one might say which is a good thing for safety.

The case:

The case, and the rest of the watch not already described, is comprised of Ti. IWC really pioneered the use of Ti (yes, I know there were others before...Seiko, etc) in its Porsche Design watches. On the 3536, there was apparently a lot of work/research done that concentrated on the matte finish of the Ti, the hardness and overall quality of the construction. I have read rumors that, in the end, this watch was a money loser for Ti due to the money spent and the high rejection rate. Not sure on this but the result is fantastic. The case is a very simple design with nice lugs that show a little character on the sides with indentations. Lugs are also thru-hole but not in the way one would think...more on that later. Case back has a great submarine motif and is finished flawlessly. Crown is unguarded, screw-down type and comes with the old-school fish symbol. Beware as IWC replaces these with the newer style insignia crowns if serviced.

The bracelet and clasp:

Now we get to something is an overall marvel and triumph but does have a few flaws. First, the entire bracelet has the matte finish, unlike its SS brother with polished links. This look is great and screams "tool watch"!! When looking on the side of the watch, every link has thru-holes. Odd, right? Well, flip the bracelet over and the underside is where the watch becomes an engineer's dream. Each center link has a small circle inside. This circle is basically a button, that can be pushed with the provided metal pointer or even a small wooden skewer, and it pushes out the link pins for simple removal. It's amazing, one might say ingenious, and works very quickly. The negative is that if the watch is worn often, funk can get into the spring mechanism of the buttons and can make life difficult. Regarding adjustability, it is nice that every link can be removed independently, but there is no microadjustability on the bracelet or clasp. When talking about the clasp, it is a simple folding clasp with button-actuated opening. It's slim, unobtrusive and very well-made (all in Ti) but there is no wetsuit extension. I question the durability of the button actuator and the rivet that the closure clicks onto, but have not read of too many complaints. It's an elegant solution, but seems a bit weak versus, say, a fliplock that gives you more peace of mind. I've not inadvertently popped the clasp open but it is a concern. Potential buyers should note that either a velcro or rubber strap may be ordered (not cheaply) from IWC that provide quicker adjustment for dives, etc. These come with end links that click into the lugs. Strap nuts would likely be disappointed in this watch as fitting straps like NATO's or Zulus would be tough or odd due to the the use of non normal link pins.

As far as comfort, this watch and its bracelet are ridiculous. It is so light and so unobtrusive that I fell asleep with it on the other night; that would never happen with my Sub. I'd easily say that, other than something like a G-shock, it's the most comfortable watch I've tried.

Movement:

This is the IWC 37524 which is based on the ETA 2892. So, while it's not an in-house piece, it has been highly, highly modified. In fact, most critical components have been replaced by IWC. Also, it hacks. I don't time test my watches but haven't seen issues thus far.

Wrap-up:

I like to buy what I feel are iconic watches. To me the 3536 falls on that list. It stems from a time when watchmakers were experimenting with "space age" materials and really made some crafty things. From an IWC perspective, it represents a piece from their halcyon days before things become a whole lot flashier...not that I don't like some things that they do now, but they were very under-the-radar a short 10-15 years ago. In reading about these watches online, they garner a lot of respect and WIS almost universally adore them. It stands on its own as a serious watch that deserves consideration. Alternatively, if you're hellbent on another dive watch, but have too many Subs or SD's, or don't want to fork out the money for a Rolex, look this way as well. The 3536 is unique, low-key, extremely capable and is seemingly holding or slowly growing its market value. I'm always blown away that something so simple, elegant, and light is rated to 2000m; it's a true engineering solution which should appeal to watch nerds all around. I'd also never owned a Ti watch but this one is giving me a very positive impression. I wore it for 3 weeks straight and traveled overseas the whole time and could find nary a new scratch...even on the underside of the bracelet. That bodes well...Pelagos in my future?

Thanks for reading and forgive the amateur pics!

Mike

P.S. One comment on Meertz as the opinion seems widely divided here on the forum. I had a good, efficient experience. Not a whole lot of sense of humor in there, but they knew their stuff pretty well. Of course, I depend on myself to know the market first and foremost. I did note that over my 3 visits, the place was ALWAYS busy which was interesting and nice to see such interest in vintage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3824.jpg (56.2 KB, 2157 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3821.jpg (57.4 KB, 2121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3825.jpg (60.5 KB, 2117 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3828.jpg (37.8 KB, 2111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3830.jpg (50.8 KB, 2112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3831.jpg (53.0 KB, 2098 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3826.jpg (48.9 KB, 2090 views)
Heuer (Tag): Temporada/Super Pro/F1
Seiko: 6159/6105/6117/6138/6139/6309/69799
mks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Great review. Love this model, too. Makes me want to get my AT back from my dad whom I "loaned" it to over a year ago!
Old 22 November 2012, 10:47 PM   #3
mks4
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that it's a 42mm diameter case.
Old 1 February 2013, 10:13 PM   #4
oymd
"TRF" Member

beautiful...congrats..
oymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Great review Mike of one of the best divers made. I owned the 3536 for a few years. As a tool watch guy, this mighty diver from IWC is in a word brilliant. Light... easy to read, and the perfect size at 42mm. A true classic!

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Interesting and thorough review - thanks!
Old 12 May 2013, 12:25 AM   #7
mks4
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys...I am still loving it. Sure wish it had micro adjustment though...perhaps Summer will make it a little tighter.

I just picked up a complete Mark XII and will publish reviews and pics soon!

Mike
Old 6 June 2013, 01:53 PM   #8
psv
"TRF" Member

Just found this review. Classic watch, gotta love IWC pre-Richemont designs.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 02:25 PM   #9
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Just found this review. Classic watch, gotta love IWC pre-Richemont designs.
I'll second the pre-Richemont era.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 09:50 PM   #10
viviavis
Banned

sorry i don't know about it.
viviavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 03:49 AM   #11
CSM
"TRF" Member

Watch: ap,rolex,pam,jlc
IWC Aquatimer 3536-01 Ti Review

nice review, it's really a nice watch! i got mine few years ago , and this is a keeper for sure....and of course, mine says hello!

regards
CSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2017, 02:25 AM   #12
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice IWC!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 09:35 AM   #13
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
The tool kit doesn't have a screwdriver in it. It has two bronze punches that are used to add or remove links for the bracelet or change the bracelet. It is usually housed under the insert in the inner box that holds the watch. Pull that out and look underneath and you may find it. There is a small elastic band and it holds them in place. These punches work in tandem....one to push down on the small dot on the bracelet or endlink and the other to simultaneously push out the pin. It's quick and efficient system.

Pushing down on the bezel to turn it is not a big deal. I might point out that in the late 60's and early 70's rolexes had a large flat spring under their bezels that required the same push to turn. Also, I wore mine continuously in Colorado and never got even a spec of dust under the bezel in that slot/crack area.

While I like the bracelet just fine, I prefer the IWC Velcro strap available for this watch with titanium endlinks. It's a bit expensive but it is very comfortable and adds to the overall lack of weight of this watch. This watch was available originally in three versions.
First was stainless steel with black face, second stainless with white face, and last the Titanium version with black face. The first ones had Tritium makers and hands and then sometime after introduction IWC decided to do luminova. Mine is a late one and while I am not sure when it was made, it still keeps excellent time at +5 seconds a day and has never been serviced. Like the author mine has no rubs or scratches on it at all. I've owned it for 10 years and someone probably had it for 10 before that. Titanium comes in different degrees of hardness and to avoid scratches and rubs the IWC must be very hard indeed.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 08:32 AM   #14
gr8sw
"TRF" Member

Watch: '82 & '84 5513
excellent review, Mike

I recently found a gently-used SS model and love it to pieces
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3536.jpg (229.2 KB, 677 views)
gr8sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 09:52 AM   #15
spndx
Banned

Watch: AP/Rolex
Nice IWC post.
spndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 12:21 AM   #16
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
love the 3536-01, still have it. perfect tool watch and doesn't scream bling like a rolex :)
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 10:28 PM   #17
chillsands
"TRF" Member

I am seriously contemplating on getting this watch. Haven't found a dealer that carries to go try it on. I have 6 and half inch wrist, in y'all opinion would it be too big for me?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
chillsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:07 AM   #18
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsands View Post
I am seriously contemplating on getting this watch. Haven't found a dealer that carries to go try it on. I have 6 and half inch wrist, in y'all opinion would it be too big for me?

This model was made between 1998 - 2004, it is not available at a dealer, but you can find one if you keep your eyes open, between $3-4K depending on conditions.

The Ti model is very light, also can be worn on an OEM rubber, which should fit on your wrist. It is not a small or thin watch by measurement, but it wears well due to short and angled lugs.

LOVE mine, miss it as it is in New York for service as the moment.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 11:22 PM   #19
chillsands
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
This model was made between 1998 - 2004, it is not available at a dealer, but you can find one if you keep your eyes open, between $3-4K depending on conditions.

The Ti model is very light, also can be worn on an OEM rubber, which should fit on your wrist. It is not a small or thin watch by measurement, but it wears well due to short and angled lugs.

LOVE mine, miss it as it is in New York for service as the moment.
Thank you PSV for your insight about how it wears. I do prefer this watch over a submariner by far. I would love to just try it on before pulling the trigger.

chillsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 09:36 AM   #20
viczave
Banned

That’s a beautiful piece! Had one few years back.
viczave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 11:20 AM   #21
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Older GMTs & Subs
They are beautiful watches .. I was fortunate to get the white dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4842.JPG (39.9 KB, 490 views)
Jinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:05 AM   #22
sales1
Banned

Great review.
sales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:30 PM   #23
ts3
"TRF" Member

Beautiful piece!

Sold a GST Chrono last year but the Ti itch is back and I am looking for a 3536. Will likely be a long one as I want box & papers and a late piece w superluminova.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote