The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 September 2018, 05:02 AM   #1
Nad
"TRF" Member

Winding tool update > > >

So I was able to return the winding tool for a full refund, just cost me the price of shipping it back. PHEW!!!!!

Fast forward, you gotta love it when a Fed Ex package showed up at your door:

Very happy to find something special inside...................

Hmmmmmm????????????????

Yayyyyyyyyyy

Still haven't tried it yet but will let you know how it works.

Thank you AP!!!!!!!!
Old 6 September 2018, 05:38 AM   #2
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Looks super nice, would definitely use this one over the last one you showed us!
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:00 AM   #3
Nad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Looks super nice, would definitely use this one over the last one you showed us!
Old 6 September 2018, 07:06 AM   #4
walds11
"TRF" Member

Yay Nad! It must be nice to have connections :)
Old 20 November 2018, 05:47 AM   #5
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex

Just tried out this tool on my Jumbo. Huge difference—It should be provided to new Jumbo buyers by default!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Brilliant - some actions shots would be cool too

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 02:25 PM   #7
Mills_
"TRF" Member

Where do you get this from?

I bought a Jumbo from one of the better-known sellers on this forum and when I asked about this tool, he followed up and none of the ADs he asked even knew it existed.

I want one!
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:18 AM   #8
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Well, I may get around to it, but I'm not terribly inclined. An "action shot" would just be the tool on the crown. If anything, I'd want to dig out my wife's tripod and video the difference between setting the watch using my fingers vs using the tool.

Comes with 4 tips for various AP crown sizes. Yellow fits the Jumbo, my only AP.
Old 24 November 2018, 08:38 AM   #9
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Someone asked me via PM for the reference number. I do not see any reference number on the tool or the case. I received no packaging or packing slip, just a padded envelope in a fedex shipping envelope from the boutique.
Old 24 November 2018, 10:23 AM   #10
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

This tool could be very cool. I could not imagine having to manually set the jumbo date 15 days without the quickset. And I don't care about the 15-45 trick, still a PITA. This make it much easier??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 09:06 PM   #11
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad View Post

Thank you AP!!!!!!!!
Well I've harassed my local Boutique folks in SG (where I got the 15202 from, btw), and they flat out deny these are offered for sale or as gifts to the public. I showed them photos etc - they either play dumb or there is a catch to getting one. Did you go to Geneva HQs to request it? I'd love to get a hold of one, just don't seem to be able to get anywhere with the people I am dealing with in Asia. Ahy advise (either public or via a PM) would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
korneevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 01:30 AM   #12
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
Well I've harassed my local Boutique folks in SG (where I got the 15202 from, btw), and they flat out deny these are offered for sale or as gifts to the public. I showed them photos etc - they either play dumb or there is a catch to getting one. Did you go to Geneva HQs to request it? I'd love to get a hold of one, just don't seem to be able to get anywhere with the people I am dealing with in Asia. Ahy advise (either public or via a PM) would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
My advice:
I think you have to avoid harrassing them. :-)

It's tricky, because we all want stuff, but I found a subtle approach to be the best. It worked out for me in getting some items from the Boutique while I waited for my Jumbo, and in getting the winding tool recently.

I didn't get the nice leather cube travel case I hoped for, just the green golf club head one. But I don't think it would have gone over well if I showed them pictures from the internet and harassed them about it.
Old 25 November 2018, 02:32 AM   #13
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
My advice:
I think you have to avoid harrassing them. :-) .
I think you'd need to understand this was meant to be sarcasm, may be not much transferable over the web...but I asked them twice, once when I bought the watch (they denied that tool ever existed but promised to check with Geneva), second time when I was invited for cocktails next door @ Blancpain, so I come around to say hi and reminder them about the tool, showing how it looked like as they again said noone in Geneva knew about such a tool. This is as far from "harassment" as it goes but it does wind me up a little that they'd just flatly deny things that are pretty much common knowledge, with the info so widely and freely available on the internet...just strange.
Old 27 November 2018, 01:38 PM   #14
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
My AD could not source this tool for me. Saw it on eBay briefly... Now it is gone. I was able to score a wallet though ;-)
Old 27 November 2018, 06:33 PM   #15
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any AP AD should be able to get one direct from AP. List price is £250.00 in UK less whatever discount you can negotiate on it.
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 08:17 PM   #16
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkythebulldog View Post
Any AP AD should be able to get one direct from AP. List price is £250.00 in UK less whatever discount you can negotiate on it.

The AP-owned boutique can’t/don’t want to/does not know how to (pick one) get this directly from AP. Forget about ADs. Well at least in Singapore, that is.
Old 27 November 2018, 10:16 PM   #17
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The AP-owned boutique can’t/don’t want to/does not know how to (pick one) get this directly from AP. Forget about ADs. Well at least in Singapore, that is.
Get one from a UK AD and have them ship it over. Mike at Owen and Robinson in Leeds got me mine.
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 10:29 PM   #18
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Why forget about ADs in Singapore? There are many, and you are getting nowhere with the MBS Boutique.
Old 28 November 2018, 12:08 AM   #19
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I ordered mine from APSC in Florida, list price is $150 USD
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 10:40 AM   #20
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why forget about ADs in Singapore? There are many, and you are getting nowhere with the MBS Boutique.

Well mainly because I never bought anything from ADs, so would they want to help me? Although it does not costs anything to ask - thanks for the suggestion, I’ll try a few ADs this week end
Old 28 November 2018, 12:07 PM   #21
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well mainly because I never bought anything from ADs, so would they want to help me? Although it does not costs anything to ask - thanks for the suggestion, I’ll try a few ADs this week end
Well, it couldn't hurt. I checked out a couple AP ADs when I was last in Singapore in March. Don't remember the names, but one in Takashimaya Ngee Ann City (Sincere, maybe), and another right across the street at Paragon (The Hour Glass?). They didn't have as many APs to see as the Boutiques, but they seemed friendly, and the one in Paragon did have the RO Chrono IP LE in the window.
Old 29 November 2018, 05:37 AM   #22
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I may get around to it, but I'm not terribly inclined. An "action shot" would just be the tool on the crown. If anything, I'd want to dig out my wife's tripod and video the difference between setting the watch using my fingers vs using the tool.

Comes with 4 tips for various AP crown sizes. Yellow fits the Jumbo, my only AP.
Actually, if you want to see a quick video of this* tool in action, check out the service video in the middle of this page:

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/se...nance-service/

Just after the 4:00 mark, you'll see the technician set the watch for the customer, using an AP winding tool. If you've ever set the Jumbo before, you'll see how the tool would ease the process.

*It is not the same tool that I received, but it is effectively the same. But mine is exactly the same as the one Nad posted at the beginning of this thread.
Old 29 November 2018, 09:31 AM   #23
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually, if you want to see a quick video of this* tool in action, check out the service video in the middle of this page:

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/se...nance-service/

Just after the 4:00 mark, you'll see the technician set the watch for the customer, using an AP winding tool. If you've ever set the Jumbo before, you'll see how the tool would ease the process.

*It is not the same tool that I received, but it is effectively the same. But mine is exactly the same as the one Nad posted at the beginning of this thread.

Great video - have not seen that one before. The little tool is rather neat.

A general question: can you ever wind the crown too fast ? I think I read once that too much speed could wear out teeth on cogs etc.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 29 November 2018, 07:44 PM   #24
korneevy
"TRF" Member

OK a quick update - the trick was to write to GVA office and request it from them directly, and viola, barely 24 hours later I've got a confirmation from my local SG boutique that an order has been placed for the tool and it would be delivered shortly. Hope the wait will be shorted than the 15202 wait list:) and will post the photos once I received it.
Old 29 November 2018, 09:17 PM   #25
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great video - have not seen that one before. The little tool is rather neat.

A general question: can you ever wind the crown too fast ? I think I read once that too much speed could wear out teeth on cogs etc.

Well, I wouldn’t attach the winding tool to a powered drill...
Old 29 November 2018, 09:20 PM   #26
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I wouldn’t attach the winding tool to a powered drill...

Haha no - but question is meant within normal, reasonable, rotational speeds one may achieve by hand :)

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 29 November 2018, 09:28 PM   #27
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha no - but question is meant within normal, reasonable, rotational speeds one may achieve by hand :)

I was about to say something along the lines of “well trained hand” and ways to achieve the said level of proficiency to compete with an electric drill, but I’ve let it pass haha
Old 4 December 2018, 05:54 PM   #28
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK a quick update - the trick was to write to GVA office and request it from them directly, and viola, barely 24 hours later I've got a confirmation from my local SG boutique that an order has been placed for the tool and it would be delivered shortly. Hope the wait will be shorted than the 15202 wait list:) and will post the photos once I received it.
I emailed Asia office early this morning and I have got feedback from my boutique in the afternoon. Apparently my email works so my local boutique got contacted by their superiors.
Funny thing is I contacted my local boutique first and asking for help then received same feedback as you mentioned previously. So I am a bit confused now, why do we have to write an email to AP in order to fulfill a reasonable need instead of just letting boutiques help us out. AP needs to work on their customer services.
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 08:53 PM   #29
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appa666 View Post
I emailed Asia office early this morning and I have got feedback from my boutique in the afternoon. Apparently my email works so my local boutique got contacted by their superiors.

Funny thing is I contacted my local boutique first and asking for help then received same feedback as you mentioned previously. So I am a bit confused now, why do we have to write an email to AP in order to fulfill a reasonable need instead of just letting boutiques help us out. AP needs to work on their customer services.

Well what do ya know... I got a call from the boutique last night staying they have my tool on hand so can be collected anytime. 2 months of beating around the bush vs 3 days after writing to Geneva. I know how I’ll handle my next issue with AP now;)
Old 6 December 2018, 10:24 PM   #30
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Wow! I never knew this tool existed! As has been said, the Jumbo should come with one.