The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2018, 03:33 AM   #61
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
The black is a beauty. Just getting overshadowed by the big name of James Cameron.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:17 AM   #62
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastrolex View Post
You must see the JC in person to understand
Fully agree.

Don’t know who took this picture. It comes as close as any picture I’ve seen towards evoking the unique presentation and presence of the 126660 Blue (As seemingly always in photographs though of this watch, the blue hue is just a tad more than actual except in very direct lighting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasChCh View Post
I have now owned my Black dial 126660 for three days! Currently I am on holiday in Fiji and have been swimming and diving with it every day. The watch is everything I hoped it would be, but is actually far more comfortable than ever I thought it would be. I predict this will be my daily from now on as its just ridiculously comfortable.
I’ve had my 126660 for two weeks today. It was bought as a weekender. But like you, I discovered it is so comfortable and it will be and is my daily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3F2C2E8E-2BDB-4CE5-9FAC-8ABF6019CDE9.jpeg (80.0 KB, 397 views)
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:43 AM   #63
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Hi, time to make my first post!!

I have now owned my Black dial 126660 for three days! Currently I am on holiday in Fiji and have been swimming and diving with it every day.

The watch is everything I hoped it would be, but is actually far more comfortable than ever I thought possible. I predict this will be my daily from now on as its just ridiculously comfortable.

Why the Black? I was unexpectedly offered the chance to get it by my AD. It was earmarked for someone a little further up the food chain than me but he felt it was too big for him. But for me it fits perfectly! I have bought a few watches from this AD but was not expecting to get this call for a few months as we don't get a lot of Deep Sea's arriving into New Zealand, I possibly have the first 126660 in my country.

On the whole, I would have gone with the black over the D-Blue anyway, although it would be a tough decision. Luckily one I didn't have to make.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 08:24 AM   #64
psv
"TRF" Member

A couple of points:

- JC is a true explorer. He went down in the sub himself, no gimmicks.

- Yes, I have seen the D-blue in person many times, a colleague had one, several friends have it. Still not sold on the concept of a gradient dial... Love the Kawasaki green coloring though :-)

- I still think I'm aiming for the black dial new version of the DSSD - somewhat idiotic as I have 5 other black-dial Rolex watches (along with a white dial one), but I know I would sour on the gradient dial over time (again, just me...)

And thanks for all the input, amigos! Go dome or go home!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 02:28 PM   #65
blackout
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN & LV
Love the Black better
blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 02:31 PM   #66
blackout
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LN & LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasChCh View Post
Hi, time to make my first post!!

I have now owned my Black dial 126660 for three days! Currently I am on holiday in Fiji and have been swimming and diving with it every day.

The watch is everything I hoped it would be, but is actually far more comfortable than ever I thought possible. I predict this will be my daily from now on as its just ridiculously comfortable.

Why the Black? I was unexpectedly offered the chance to get it by my AD. It was earmarked for someone a little further up the food chain than me but he felt it was too big for him. But for me it fits perfectly! I have bought a few watches from this AD but was not expecting to get this call for a few months as we don't get a lot of Deep Sea's arriving into New Zealand, I possibly have the first 126660 in my country.

On the whole, I would have gone with the black over the D-Blue anyway, although it would be a tough decision. Luckily one I didn't have to make.

Welcome to TRF! Congrats on your DSSD and enjoy!
blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 02:43 PM   #67
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
A couple of points:

- JC is a true explorer. He went down in the sub himself, no gimmicks.

- Yes, I have seen the D-blue in person many times, a colleague had one, several friends have it. Still not sold on the concept of a gradient dial... Love the Kawasaki green coloring though :-)

- I still think I'm aiming for the black dial new version of the DSSD - somewhat idiotic as I have 5 other black-dial Rolex watches (along with a white dial one), but I know I would sour on the gradient dial over time (again, just me...)

And thanks for all the input, amigos! Go dome or go home!
He went down wearing a black dssd. The blue thing is completely fabricated nonsense.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 08:59 PM   #68
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
He went down wearing a black dssd. The blue thing is completely fabricated nonsense.
First off the Blue Deepsea didn't even exist then, but don't let that fact get in the way of a perfect immature baseless ramble. How could he wear something that didn't even exist.
I wonder about some here, it's like they come into a thread to specifically say the most vulgar insult about a watch. God forbid some of you guys go into the other sub forums.
It's okay to not like something but then there's a way to say it with tact. Plenty of watches I don't like, no reason to go around spewing things out about it and only say something nice about those who have the exact watch I own.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 09:01 PM   #69
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
First off the Blue Deepsea didn't even exist then, but don't let that fact get in the way of a perfect immature baseless ramble. How could he wear something that didn't even exist.
I wonder about some here, it's like they come into a thread to specifically say the most vulgar insult about a watch. God forbid some of you guys go into the other sub forums.
It's okay to not like something but then there's a way to say it with tact. Plenty of watches I don't like, no reason to go around spewing things out about it and only say something nice about those who have the exact watch I own.
the other thing is it commemorates the dive, not the person. If some guy named steve jones did that dive no one would call it the steve jones watch, but James Cameron is famous already.

I like the watch all the same though but i dont like the name attachment for whatever reason. He wears the D blue almost exclusively though. Ive watched two documentaries with him recently and he had it on in both (one on atlantis and one on the titanic)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 09:14 PM   #70
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the other thing is it commemorates the dive, not the person. If some guy named steve jones did that dive no one would call it the steve jones watch, but James Cameron is famous already.
Great point, because it is all about the dive. Not only that, Rolex used the opportunity to test the Deepsea Challenge. There aren't many opportunities to take advantage of going that deep, it's not like there's a shuttle going down everyday. I find the whole thing impressive, the extreme test of engineering and design, and JC already wore and was loyal to Rolex before this wearing his Sub.
It's only the second time someone's been down there. For Rolex, it was just a great opportunity to test and evaluate, which ultimately they capitalized on.
Old 19 August 2018, 09:30 PM   #71
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great point, because it is all about the dive. Not only that, Rolex used the opportunity to test the Deepsea Challenge. There aren't many opportunities to take advantage of going that deep, it's not like there's a shuttle going down everyday. I find the whole thing impressive, the extreme test of engineering and design, and JC already wore and was loyal to Rolex before this wearing his Sub.
It's only the second time someone's been down there. For Rolex, it was just a great opportunity to test and evaluate, which ultimately they capitalized on.
thats my issue as its an impressive dive no matter who did it. Tying it to a name makes it about him and a lot of people forget about the actual deepsea challenge altogether.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 01:26 AM   #72
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
One thing's for sure, whichever one you go with, you picked the right one.

They're BOTH amazing timepieces.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 01:54 AM   #73
Pacc12
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
the D-blue is quite unique but very difficult to come by.
Pacc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 01:59 AM   #74
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I personally like the black one better. I see the JC appeal and the coolness of the dial, but I think the "Deep Sea" lettering in green is cool at first, but may get tiresome in time. It's like getting a car interior in Garnet Red...very cool day one...but gets old fast. Basic black is always safer for me.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:01 AM   #75
SDDS
"TRF" Member

I still love my mk1 dial edition , the crown is really unique on the dial :):):)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:14 AM   #76
psv
"TRF" Member

The D-Blue is a commemorative edition for the dive/expedition, not the only the person (James Cameron).

Having said that, I think it was a stroke of marketing genius. I heard (always impossible to confirm with anything Rolex) that they were sitting on a mountain of Deepsea cases as it is not a watch that was selling tons given its size/weight. They developed the beautiful gradient dial, et voila, year-long waits on the Deepsea! :-)

And, of course, everyone is right to point out that there is no wrong solution here - whatever makes your heart sing, that is what you go with!

Cheers friends!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 11:42 AM   #77
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
It's amazing how original post was forgotten and battle between Black vs. D-Blue bagan.
Each watch owner defends they version of the watch. The matter of the truth is that most of the Black owners would rather get D-Blue just because the very marketing aspect of it overshadowing the reason why they love watch in the first place. Relax guys and enjoy your own watches.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 12:33 PM   #78
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
Nothing wrong with the blue, but to me, any sports watch should be black and steel...it’s just me.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:02 PM   #79
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I own one too. Doesn’t change the fact that the story attached to the watch is nonsense. Hell, my dealer gave me a book with mine that goes out of its way to tell the story, and doesn’t go out of its way to let you know it has nothing to do with the deep blue.

Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 01:10 PM   #80
Juclaq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
Both the black and blue looks great. I like them both but i prefer the blue.

For me, frankly it is because the blue has the “potential” to be more unique and more valuable.
Juclaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 04:12 PM   #81
17noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have the black version, more value for the relatively lower price. Never really liked the lime green text on the D-Blue.
17noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 04:28 PM   #82
maton12
"TRF" Member

DBlue only Rolex gradient dial ever produced and love it being a gloss dial as well

I think about swapping for a YMII but the alpha diving watch just a bit too hard to let go

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 10:34 PM   #83
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I own one too.
Can't deny that's a great picture and even better set.
Old 29 August 2018, 07:43 AM   #84
R!$
Banned

because everyone always asks why you didnt get the james cameron
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2018, 07:56 AM   #85
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Had them both. They’re both exceptional pieces but the blue dial is quite unique. Doesn’t take anything away from the black but i only wanted to keep one and blue won
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:04 AM   #86
Albertatyke
"TRF" Member

I'm coming late to the party, I collect possibly one of the last new 116660 black dials from a AD on Saturday.
Albertatyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:13 AM   #87
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertatyke View Post
I'm coming late to the party, I collect possibly one of the last new 116660 black dials from a AD on Saturday.
need a wrist shot after you pick that beauty up!
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:26 AM   #88
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Both nice in different ways. I was lucky enough to hold both the matte black (it really is a beautiful dial) and blue (also very cool with the gloss) 126660's in my hand to make a decision. The blue won simply because I have a black sub already so the blue gradient is a little different. They're the same watch so cant go wrong either way. The more I wear my D-Sea the more I love it
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 06:39 AM   #89
Albertatyke
"TRF" Member

I've got to be honest, I'm a little nervous as I haven't actually seen one in person, also because of the lack of SS watches in AD, its wasn't my first choice watch.. that was SD43.
Albertatyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 07:16 AM   #90
Finfin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
I like my black dial 126660 just fine. It perfectly suits my style.

That said, given the minimal price differential between the black dial and the D-Blue, it would be difficult for most to choose the black dial over the D-Blue given the D-Blue's certain higher resell value.

D-blue=more desired=harder to find=better resell value= black dial DEEPSEA being invisible to the point that some in the wider Rolex community refer to the deepsea as the "JC"; as if they aren't even aware that the deepsea comes in two dial colors. The deepsea in any dial is an engineering wonder.
Finfin is offline   Reply With Quote