The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2018, 12:41 AM   #61
Mephist
"TRF" Member

I polish my Rolex's myself. Just polished my old 2012 Datejust this weekend for the first time. Using Cape Cod polishing cloths. I only polish enough to remove all those small hairlines, but not enough to remove any dents. It may not be the same quality as Rolex Service Center, but it still looks much better then before the polish. Now when you shine a light on it, all those small scratches does not reflect the light, now it looks like a mirror reflecting the light, a dented mirror that is.
Old 13 August 2018, 12:43 AM   #62
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisoul View Post
wait till it’s due it’s service and send it in to rsc for the full works....i sent my 14060m into the rsc last year for full service and polish...it came back absolutely beautiful...even the ad who sent it into the rsc for me said it was stunning when it arrived back.
When it goes back in for its next service in 6/7 years i’ll do the same no probs......rsc do the job properly, i wouldn’t sent it anywhere else.

101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 12:48 AM   #63
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Really - why the hell would Rolex have done that?
It was a joke, because of the angle of your picture, the right lug looks thinner then the left lug. But obviously my joke failed Next time I will add a before and after the joke
Old 13 August 2018, 12:59 AM   #64
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
It was a joke, because of the angle of your picture, the right lug looks thinner then the left lug. But obviously my joke failed Next time I will add a before and after the joke
Sorry wasnt sure.

Lugs are similar sized - just the angle of the pic like you said
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:14 PM   #65
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
I bought a 15203 for my wife, decided to let a watch maker guy polish it. Never again. He totally stuffed it up. Worst of all he was a genuine nice guy who said used to work on Rolex. Made the brushed steel all shiny, could not believe it. So he "fixed" up the brushed steel and now basically ruined the look of the watch for a purist but my wife was happy, so I let it go.
I will never polish a watch again.

Sent from my HTC 2PXH3 using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 09:29 PM   #66
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I'm not a rich man and take me a lot of effort to buy my Sub, I stop thinking about keeping it on "mint condition" so I can sell it at a good price later, because whenever I saw me thinking in keeping it without a scratch for "resell price" , I felt like the Smeagoul of the Lord of the Rings, treasuring something materially petty. I told myself this is my watch and I using it to my liking and freely. if it's not in mint condition and I need to sell it maybe would not be pristine and I lost a few bucks but I'll have enjoyed it, and a baby my watch but is on my wrist 24/7. If you want to polish your watch do it!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 09:51 PM   #67
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetswisssteel View Post
I bought a 15203 for my wife, decided to let a watch maker guy polish it. Never again. He totally stuffed it up. Worst of all he was a genuine nice guy who said used to work on Rolex. Made the brushed steel all shiny, could not believe it. So he "fixed" up the brushed steel and now basically ruined the look of the watch for a purist but my wife was happy, so I let it go.
I will never polish a watch again.

Sent from my HTC 2PXH3 using Tapatalk
Watchmakers are not created equally, I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

That said, I'd like to show you that sometimes a full service with polishing isn't all that bad.
Here's a thread on one that I did: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=614888

I'm not fishing for compliments, just showing you that polishing isn't always bad. There are plenty of skilled watchmakers who can properly restore a watch, just gotta do the homework and check their work before sending it in
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:03 PM   #68
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I have had RSC polish my watch in the past and I’ve regretted it so I now choose to not polish...
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2018, 08:09 AM   #69
R!$
Banned

do you have pics?
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote