The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2018, 02:19 AM   #1
rnordby
"TRF" Member

How much do you have to spend at an AD to get a "hot Watch"

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and really enjoying reading everyone's comments. I have a question.

I have spent $31K at my local AD in under 2 years and I want to purchase a Daytona or the new SS GMT 2 Jubilee Pepsi. I am being told that I should get one of the watches within a year from this AD. Is this reasonable?

Does $30K spent with an AD on Rolex watches move you up towards the top of the AD list or am I still another small fish? I would like to have one of the watches earlier than a year and I refuse to buy grey market watches because I want the warranty.

Can anyone provide me with any help here? I just purchased a DJ41 Fluted Silver Dial Jubilee last week for about $10K. Will this help me get one of the watches that I also really want (i.e. Daytona or Pepsi GMT Jubilee) or not move me up any faster?

Thank you in advance,

Rolex Novice
rnordby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:25 AM   #2
peticks
"TRF" Member

It will greatly differ from AD to AD. Asking them upfront will be the most accurate answer you can get. They can also give you an idea how many people are in line.

In the meantime, enjoy what you have!
peticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:36 AM   #3
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Any purchase history with your AD is better than zero and will help you move up the list. The amount needed I suspect all depends on the location of your AD. An AD in a large city may require more purchase history then one in a less populated area. However, the lists are hypothetical as someone with deeper pockets could walk into the AD and make a larger purchase than you and be pushed up the list in front of you or offered a high demand SS watch on the spot.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:40 AM   #4
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I’d say, keep a good relationship with them. Check in every once in a while. I got my Daytona this year and by no means have I spent that much money with mine. But I’d check in, say hi, and even bring my sales guy coffee. I’d say I had established more of a friend ship with my guy and the people in the store. I got to know the store employees, store manager, and the district manager. Just because I checked in with them all the time. The store employees told me there are people that have spent by far more money in that store but they genuinely wanted me to get the next Daytona since I was just a nice person and the others are all about money and just being cocky arrogant people. I thought that was awesome! Then, they had a Daytona come in, in May and I was the first to get the call. I’m telling you the relationship establishment goes a long way!!!! It’s funny, they kind of even offered me a part time job there. They found out I began working as a Hobby job across the street from them at a local competitor. By no means do we have Rolex but they know I have a full time career and was surprised I went into the watch business just for a hobby haha...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:40 AM   #5
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Yes, it varies with AD. No hard and fast rules.

My rough guess is these are the factors :

1) Your past spending with them
2) Your "potential' spending with them
3) The AD's pool of clients. Big prominent ADs in big cities will have lots of big clients, which mean more "competition" for the hot watch
4) How much your Sales Rep vouch for you

Above also depend on the AD being convinced you are not a flipper / Opportunistic buyer.
Old 15 July 2018, 02:44 AM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600

I was talking with one of the ADs in my area and he told me $250k to get a SS Daytona on the spot. Craziness, I know.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 02:50 AM   #7
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
I was talking with one of the ADs in my area and he told me $250k to get a SS Daytona on the spot. Craziness, I know.

250k?!?!?! Wow I’d be out! And yet I got one. People, go build a relationship with my guy Tony at Devon’s in Roseville CA and tell him your friends with Jeff. I’m just amazed at some of the AD rules. D and L in Walnut Creek wants you to sign a contract with them saying that if you sell it, they get first rights back to buy it. And you have to be a high HIGH roller with them. Just crazy what some of these guys do........ it should be the same across the board in my opinion......

Old 15 July 2018, 02:53 AM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post
250k?!?!?! Wow I’d be out! And yet I got one. People, go build a relationship with my guy Tony at Devon’s in Roseville CA and tell him your friends with Jeff. I’m just amazed at some of the AD rules. D and L in Walnut Creek wants you to sign a contract with them saying that if you sell it, they get first rights back to buy it. And you have to be a high HIGH roller with them. Just crazy what some of these guys do........ it should be the same across the board in my opinion......

Actually, for those that can afford to spend 1/4 million on watches regularly, I don't think most of them can be bothered with Daytonas. They will be into stuff like AP Tourbillons, PP Grand Complications, Richard Mille or one of those ultra expensive independents.
Old 15 July 2018, 02:57 AM   #9
rsnissan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV & Ω
31K?! You should have just bought one at a grey dealer to start with if that was your main aim. Buying from
an AD has nothing to do with warranty. If you wanted the other watches anyway they fair enough,

rsnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:18 AM   #10
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Varies significantly. Personally if I spent 30k in two years at an AD, I'd expect some kind of preferential treatment. I realize we have members here who spend far more than that in under a year.

I am of the opinion that having to spend any sort of amount to be considered to buy a luxury item is absurd. That said, I don't blame an AD for prioritizing one customer over another based off a relationship. My AD has told me that once you purchase any watch from them, they are willing to put you on a list. I have also been told by them that lists can be long but many times they move down them quickly as people do not follow up once they are called. This AD would also let you purchase anything in the window or not reserved if you have the cash. I think that's a fair policy.

I've told this story multiple times in other threads. It was only a year or so ago that I woke up one morning, saw a picture of a 116610LV, was motivated to finally purchase it, called my local AD on the phone (who I never purchased a watch from previously), asked if they had it in stock, they did, I drove over, and bought it. Mind you, they had a BLNR in the display with a multitude of other sport models, and a stainless Daytona in the back that someone was coming to pick up. How far we have fallen...
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:19 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnordby View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and really enjoying reading everyone's comments. I have a question.

I have spent $31K at my local AD in under 2 years and I want to purchase a Daytona or the new SS GMT 2 Jubilee Pepsi. I am being told that I should get one of the watches within a year from this AD. Is this reasonable?

Does $30K spent with an AD on Rolex watches move you up towards the top of the AD list or am I still another small fish? I would like to have one of the watches earlier than a year and I refuse to buy grey market watches because I want the warranty.

Can anyone provide me with any help here? I just purchased a DJ41 Fluted Silver Dial Jubilee last week for about $10K. Will this help me get one of the watches that I also really want (i.e. Daytona or Pepsi GMT Jubilee) or not move me up any faster?

Thank you in advance,

Rolex Novice
the buy a rolex for a rolex strategy may have run its course.

(no thanks to this place )
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:22 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Grey watches from TS come with the same Rolex warranty so no difference, rather now from ADs many are withholding the warranty card, altho it still is applicable.

If you are in a big City then £50-100K will start to really mean something, in smaller towns you may have more influence, but generally the really hot models are already allocated for years in advance now.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:44 AM   #13
Trog
Banned

My AD forgets my name the second I walk out the door. The only way I've managed to pick-up a "hot" watch is to tie-buy with a piece of dreck.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 03:55 AM   #14
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I think you should talk to your AD to see how thing works at that AD, if they only sell a SS Daytona with a PM then I would bail out asap but if they're into building relationship for a rare piece then go ahead, also be friendly with one or two salepersons
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:02 AM   #15
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know how these so called “lists” work? Do they actually go to their office and pull out a pad and actually write you name down and put what you want or how much you’ve spent? I’m soooo curious where or how they make these lists. Or do they put you in a computer system get a Daytona in and go to that computer and look and go......hmmm who’s next? I also wonder if they are truly fair. Like if I’m number 7, and I’m next up will they call me or skip me because they like number 8 better....

Old 15 July 2018, 04:03 AM   #16
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I didn’t spend anywhere near the amounts often mentioned in these types of threads, i.e., $100k, $250k, etc., but my AD worked to get me the DaytonaC. Check in every few weeks, stop by and resist the urge to loose your cool, and I’m sure you’ll get yours.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:09 AM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Actually, for those that can afford to spend 1/4 million on watches regularly, I don't think most of them can be bothered with Daytonas. They will be into stuff like AP Tourbillons, PP Grand Complications, Richard Mille or one of those ultra expensive independents.
Ben my friend you’d be surprised almost all of them want and have Daytona in their collections.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:09 AM   #18
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

They could be buying non Rolex watches though, the AD I was talking to sells other high end watches and jewelry/diamonds. Maybe you buy a few items of jewelry a year, he didn’t say it needed to be at the same time or even within the year...it wasn’t me so I didn’t focus on it at the time, outside of being a little shocked
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:19 AM   #19
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
The AD in Windsor basically told me to buy any 3 less desirable pieces and it would go a long way towards getting a hot piece. Watches of Switzerland said Daytona’s are reserved for high rollers but wouldn’t elaborate on what a high roller is. So who knows. I say avoid big city AD’s and build a relationship. All my hot pieces have been sourced that way. I’ve never bought to gain favour

TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:35 AM   #20
onethirtypanda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does anyone know how these so called “lists” work? Do they actually go to their office and pull out a pad and actually write you name down and put what you want or how much you’ve spent? I’m soooo curious where or how they make these lists. Or do they put you in a computer system get a Daytona in and go to that computer and look and go......hmmm who’s next? I also wonder if they are truly fair. Like if I’m number 7, and I’m next up will they call me or skip me because they like number 8 better....

I'm sure it depends how each AD wants to handle it. I've been to ADs where I talk to them and they say ,"it's a long list, I'll put your name down" but you know they really don't. I also have a friend who went to the AD a few months ago and asked about Daytona and saw an actual sheet with names and phone numbers with only the first few names crossed off. I think he was in the 50-60s at that point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
onethirtypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:39 AM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

do they like you? IMO spend and the actual relationship are pretty equally important. There are some real tools at my AD who spend far more than me but i tend to get watches before most of them.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:44 AM   #22
remrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
It depends on the AD and how you interact with them as well. I don’t think it’s just purely how much you spend. In a span of 4 months and less than $30k I was able to get a SS white Daytona from my AD.
remrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 04:52 AM   #23
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
It is all about your relationship with the people at the AD. If you have a great relationship, you will eventually get what you want. It helps to buy stuff from them and continue to be a regular customer.

Old 15 July 2018, 04:59 AM   #24
mrblue
"TRF" Member

It's ridiculous to spend time kissing up to a salesman to get the privilege of buying an expensive watch. Who has the time or the desire?
mrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:03 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblue View Post
It's ridiculous to spend time kissing up to a salesman to get the privilege of buying an expensive watch. Who has the time or the desire?

With that approach you won’t get on the list anyway.

You have to make an effort and if you are a WIS it’s like a candy store and good AD’s love to talk watches so it’s supposed to be fun. All the while they are seeing that you are an enthusiast so no kissing up required.

You have to differentiate yourself from everyone else but you have to do that in life with anything
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:05 AM   #26
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:

At a couple Rolex AD’s I have relationships with, the lists for “hot” watches are almost non existent because there’s always a vip who wants one, or a person willing to bundle a purchase for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Ben my friend you’d be surprised almost all of them want and have Daytona in their collections.
I absolutely agree! I, unfortunately, have to compete with a lot of big time whales at my AD who spends hundreds of thousands yearly on watches and jewelry and almost all of them want the SS Daytona’s and SkyD’s etc
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:10 AM   #27
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Establishing a good relationship with an AD is the most important thing. If they actually like you, eventually you will get what you want.
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:11 AM   #28
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
My AD forgets my name the second I walk out the door.
Mine did too. I found a new AD. I’ve spent a bit of money with, but prior to that they took me seriously, treated me well. Now they have a customer for life, they know it and I bypassed “the list”for an SD43 and pulled pole position on the BLRO. It’s all about the relationship not the money spent (imho).

E-
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:17 AM   #29
Pol1
"TRF" Member

To put you on a list here in Belgium you have to pay an advance. At this moment lists are closed for Daytona. Being a good customer is important as well.
Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:26 AM   #30
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Above all else, they just have to like and trust you.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote