The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2018, 09:39 PM   #61
Why1504
"TRF" Member

IMO it is equally important to develop a friendship with the AD. When I decided to get the Pepsi I asked my sales person what I needed to buy to get up on the list (I was ready to buy another PM watch). She said give me a $4,000 deposit. I am now 6th. This AD serves several famous people.
Old 15 July 2018, 09:58 PM   #62
davidrcpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I spent 61k on three watches including 2 PM watches this year from the same ad. I have been on the waiting list to purchase the ss Daytona for seven months. I recently got the call advising that the Daytona was available for purchase if I agreed to also purchase a platona at the same time. The sales representative said it was the owners decision to bundle the watch with another new pm purchase. My relationship and previous purchases from the ad made me the first client the ad called after the ad received the ss Daytona. Nevertheless I still had to purchase the ss Daytona with the platona. I liked this ad a lot however I was disappointed with their bundle request. I congratulate those of you who have been able to acquire an ss Daytona at msrp from an ad without strings attached.
davidrcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 11:23 PM   #63
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
I don't think it is important to be 'a big spender', I think they (the AD) can easily determine who is into watches and they appreciate that customers base. After only one purchase of a Tudor at the local AD, I managed to be in the short list for a hard to get Rolex.

Before purchasing the Tudor from the local AD I visited several times to see what they got in stock. During my visits, I ordered bracelet links (2 times) and a bezel for my Explorer II. They examined my watches and installed the parts. Unfortunately they did not allow me to keep the old bezel. So after that, I was pestering them with visits once in two - three months, as they are 20 minutes walk (or a subway stop away from my city apartment). During visits we talked about watches and Rolex production strategy, I got few catalogues from them. Immediately after the Tudor Black Bay GMT was announced, I called to reserve one and showed up the same day to place my deposit. I was the first on the list and they said that in case they receive it in a different bracelet/strap configuration they will call so I can chose which one I like best. Few months later, they did just that. Meanwhile, I called and asked when it will be possible to get a 116610LV to which they replied that for me, it would be approximately a 3 months wait. I jumped at the possibility and put my deposit several weeks ago. When I put my deposit, they confirmed that it is hard to get piece and that there is a long list already (without being too specific about it). I know from them that for non-regular customers and people who just wander in the store the prospect to get a SS Rolex is not that high.

When I picked my Tudor, they took out a SS GMT Master II to compare the ceramic colours of the bezel to the one on the Tudor GMT. Unfortunately I didn't took a side by side picture of the new Rolex and Tudor Pepsi's

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:19 AM   #64
TeddyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea-dweller 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrcpo View Post
I spent 61k on three watches including 2 PM watches this year from the same ad. I have been on the waiting list to purchase the ss Daytona for seven months. I recently got the call advising that the Daytona was available for purchase if I agreed to also purchase a platona at the same time. The sales representative said it was the owners decision to bundle the watch with another new pm purchase. My relationship and previous purchases from the ad made me the first client the ad called after the ad received the ss Daytona. Nevertheless I still had to purchase the ss Daytona with the platona. I liked this ad a lot however I was disappointed with their bundle request. I congratulate those of you who have been able to acquire an ss Daytona at msrp from an ad without strings attached.

I think this is a massive kick in the teeth. I think having spent that amount in one year should definitely mean that you are entitled to purchase your Daytona catch free. I’m sorry that you had this experience buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TeddyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:27 AM   #65
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Good Relationship/Trust/Purchase History seem to all play a part.
I'm sure having a watch-crazy bachelor Uncle who goes to the same AD doesn't hurt either, but that's not my case. I'm a middle-of-the-road customer who's been building a good relationship. I'd like to think that has bumped me up the 116500 and the BLRO list, but time will tell.
HubbleNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:42 AM   #66
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
do they like you? IMO spend and the actual relationship are pretty equally important. There are some real tools at my AD who spend far more than me but i tend to get watches before most of them.

100% True.

It's not always about the money spent.

Be cool and friendly. Don't be needy, neurotic, gruff, rude, condescending or communicate with a sense of entitlement. Don't convey negative personality characteristics as the AD staff will prefer to help somebody who isn't a pain in the a$$.

The ultimate goal here is to have the AD call YOU for the watches....you are already on the list. Build a relationship and all that effort and bother just vanish..

Now upon reading the above, your first reaction is "Hell no...I am not kissing a$$"....or the such, please don't bother. That is EXACTLY why your odds of getting a watch from the AD are poor. Just pay the grey premium or hard pass altogether and buy a Hublot...they will put up with anything these days.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 01:01 AM   #67
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
It isn't about money spent, but rather the friendship and relationship developed w/ the owner.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 01:31 AM   #68
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightingball2 View Post
250k?!?!?! Wow I’d be out! And yet I got one. People, go build a relationship with my guy Tony at Devon’s in Roseville CA and tell him your friends with Jeff.
I'm on a waitlist at the Devon's in Reno, and they are good people. One of the salesmen there did say that the boss sent out a memo about the "hot" watches this year being reserved for those who've spent over $65k. So I'm out... They're totally honest people, though. It's a good store.

I'm moving on from the SS Pepsi, going to find something else that's within reach in the next 3-4 years.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 04:08 AM   #69
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
I get scared of the umbers being mentioned then it the in demand pieces. For the sole reason that I could afford to append those numbers to get a SS model. If I could then all good and we’ll but if not then the grey market is the only way to go.

Why buy a Platona just to get a SS Daytona. Madness if you ask me.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 04:59 AM   #70
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Forget about spending X overtime to get Y rare watch.

If you're prepared to buy a precious metal model and a rare SS version, then go in and state that you'll only buy X if you can get Y.

The sales associates want to make sales. If you go in and state you'll buy a Sub if you can get a Daytona then you'll get laughed at as both models are instant sellers. Offer to buy something less desirable and you will get the gears turning.

My GF (likely future wife) is interested in eventually getting a 2-tone datejust. I love my SS models. Don't put it above me to use her as a bartering chip. I've talked to my local AD about it and he was absolutely willing to play ball.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 07:47 AM   #71
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

I don't think there is one right formula.

-You can spend a lot, but if you're not friendly and don't maintain a relationship, you may be pushed down the list
-You may have a great relationship with your AD and you may/may not get bumped up the list depending on your spending habits.
-There may or may not actually be a list.

This is going to vary by AD and what works at one place certainly is not a template for all other places. Best bet, imo, just be friendly and talk to your AD on a regular basis.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:54 AM   #72
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
I don't think there is one right formula.

-You can spend a lot, but if you're not friendly and don't maintain a relationship, you may be pushed down the list
-You may have a great relationship with your AD and you may/may not get bumped up the list depending on your spending habits.
-There may or may not actually be a list.

This is going to vary by AD and what works at one place certainly is not a template for all other places. Best bet, imo, just be friendly and talk to your AD on a regular basis.
I agree.
All about relationship and showing up time to time for chats. You want to be "THAT" person who is always at the AD and AD think of you for special pieces :)
Old 16 July 2018, 09:32 AM   #73
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrcpo View Post
Nevertheless I still had to purchase the ss Daytona with the platona.
This makes ZERO sense to me. So you spent an additional $60k because you didnt want to spend the additional $10k premium? Glad you can afford it mate but I do question the logic off many on here.

I just hope you got a very very very healthy discount on the platona.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 09:50 AM   #74
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnordby View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and really enjoying reading everyone's comments. I have a question.

I have spent $31K at my local AD in under 2 years and I want to purchase a Daytona or the new SS GMT 2 Jubilee Pepsi. I am being told that I should get one of the watches within a year from this AD. Is this reasonable?

Does $30K spent with an AD on Rolex watches move you up towards the top of the AD list or am I still another small fish? I would like to have one of the watches earlier than a year and I refuse to buy grey market watches because I want the warranty.

Can anyone provide me with any help here? I just purchased a DJ41 Fluted Silver Dial Jubilee last week for about $10K. Will this help me get one of the watches that I also really want (i.e. Daytona or Pepsi GMT Jubilee) or not move me up any faster?

Thank you in advance,

Rolex Novice

I think I'd rrathee pay the "trusted seller" tax than buy watches I didn't really want.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 10:07 AM   #75
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

Either build a really good relationship with no BS on the ADs part or retire from Rolex and venture into Patek and AP.

Life's too short to grovel with ADs for steel model Rolex.
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 10:58 AM   #76
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Rapport is the most important thing. Period. Being a good (and consistent) customer is always good too — I’ve purchased WAY more jewelry for my wife over the collective years than watches...I’ve never had any issue getting the references I wanted. I also don’t just want to buy (or inquire about) what everyone else is looking for....

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:07 AM   #77
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
The AD doesn't owe you a thing. The rules have changed and what they decide to do is entirely up to them. Your buying history, face presence, station in life probably doesn't mean as much as you think. A lot of ADs dole out the most desirable models at their whim or which way the wind blows on any particular day. These days its a matter of luck.

I lost interest in kissing up to ADs a long time ago.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:06 PM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
This makes ZERO sense to me. So you spent an additional $60k because you didnt want to spend the additional $10k premium? Glad you can afford it mate but I do question the logic off many on here.

No he passed I think, as he meant he still had to buy the Platona as his previous buying meant he was only top of the "bundle list", a new word to enter the Rolex lexicon along with flipdar for ADs and spreadfinder for some greedy greys.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:22 PM   #79
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
It isn't about money spent, but rather the friendship and relationship developed w/ the owner.
Works for me.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:23 PM   #80
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
$17452.84. No I’m kidding. In all seriousness they sell to whom they want. There isn’t an exact number

City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 09:28 PM   #81
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnordby View Post
How much do you have to spend at an AD to get a "hot Watch"
I spend MSRP or below.

If you are trying to get satisfaction in the DC area I wish you good luck, the AD's here are awful.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 09:59 PM   #82
Mini2
"TRF" Member

My own personal experience is this - in the last 3 years I've manage to get a black, white Daytona and a blue sky dweller

Never done any business with any of the AD as each watch was bought from a separate shop and also been taken away on events with Rolex.

Am I lucky maybe however I've not been so lucky with the new GMT as all previous shops have lists as long as there legs.

Do I expect to get one before the year out I'd like to think so however regarding this post I think it's pure luck.

However I do believe agents are in the right to package up not so sort after models with hot pieces to get a double sale.

With the grey market it's making things even worst and with limited supply people are out to Rory and make a fast pound note. Not wanting to wish bad news on people but what is needed especially in the UK is very much what happened 7/8years ago - recession.

If it was houses then it seems now people are speculating on jewellery it's absolute absurd - when times are bad non essential items start hitting the markets I.e. Jewellery and these so called premiums on submariners will soon dwindle and it will be very much like how it was 11years ago getting my first sub (3weeks) 2840.00
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 10:02 PM   #83
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
To the OP, I intend on spending nothing more than what I plan on buying. ADs bundle deal new practices don't agree with me. I think it spoils the buying experience and tarnishes the brand, unfortunately.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 12:16 AM   #84
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Ben my friend you’d be surprised almost all of them want and have Daytona in their collections.
Yeah, Daytona has an unique position in the watch world, no where near as expensive as any watches Ben mentioned (except the vintage ones) but pretty much all collectors i know have one.

Ben if you say they won't be bother with say, a platinum DD, then I am more inclined to agree with you.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 01:49 AM   #85
lightingball2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I’m curious. Are any of TRF members Rolex employees or work in an actual AD? As many people that are on here, I’d guess someone would know the true answers about how this all works and would shed some light from just being in the business.

lightingball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 02:06 AM   #86
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

Unfortunately that's how bundle works. Before I purchased from grey my friend found a 5131P at local AD but they want me to buy a quarter million dollar diamond studded Nautilus to buy the 5131P at MSRP.

Needless to say it's far cheaper to go grey. I don't need my name on the paper that badly.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:03 PM   #87
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Agree with below. Some SA are great to chat with, so it's not soo much of "kissing up". It definitely helps if you have a good rapport with at least one SA. They would rather sell the hot/rare piece to you then some arrogant person. If that person bundles the hot piece with platona, then it's a different game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D O C View Post
The AD doesn't owe you a thing. The rules have changed and what they decide to do is entirely up to them. Your buying history, face presence, station in life probably doesn't mean as much as you think. A lot of ADs dole out the most desirable models at their whim or which way the wind blows on any particular day. These days its a matter of luck.

I lost interest in kissing up to ADs a long time ago.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:22 PM   #88
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I’ve spent close to $50k in the past couple of years at my AD and have referred business. I’m supposedly near the top of the list. This is after being on the wait list for two years. However, my AD also mentioned that if someone came in and spent $200,000, I would probably get bumped.

I’m not holding my breath anymore.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:33 PM   #89
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
It's not all about total spending, but the amount spent on non-popular pieces that will give you the leverage up the list. And non-popular doesn't mean it's a watch I don't like, it just means a watch that not everyone likes.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:34 PM   #90
jcdeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, Bluesy
Bought my girl a tt YM. Express interest in the 500c and sub date. 2 months later my SA called to offer the sub ND but I passed, then 1 month later got the call for the sub date. My SA is a younger guy and we would exchange text on inventory updates and stuff. I also try to refer my friends looking for watches to him.

In my situation its more personal relations than money spent.
jcdeng is offline   Reply With Quote