The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 August 2018, 05:44 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Anyone with ‘ucifer’ in an email or pseudonym is to be avoided.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 06:45 AM   #32
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
sorry to read about this scam. hopefully it turns out
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 06:47 AM   #33
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalucifer View Post
I have reached out to a moderator. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d also consider a user name change.
Old 11 August 2018, 07:04 AM   #34
dalucifer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
I’d also consider a user name change.

Agreed. Something I will be asking for once I get a response from a moderator.

dalucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 07:21 AM   #35
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Beware this guy

What a twisted turn of events. Using this theory of the scam/crime anyone’s username on TRF could be picked at random to scam a WTB’er.

The scammer doesn’t even need to hack the member’s account since the WTB’er uses an email addy to be contacted. If the WTB’er would only accept PM’s then that would help somewhat.

As for eliminating the WTB section, I’d suggest there is a better solution. If we restrict email addy’s from being listed in a WTB post, then the scammer can’t pose as a trusted seller by creating a phony email addy that appears like the seller’s TRF ID.

Of course a scammer could create a TRF ID but it wouldn’t have the references a savvy buyer should look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 08:01 AM   #36
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Anyone with ‘ucifer’ in an email or pseudonym is to be avoided.
Seems like solid advice
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 09:39 AM   #37
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Talk about confusing.

Using a similar email - as a username - and then using the real name of the username? What are the odds.
Old 11 August 2018, 10:37 AM   #38
dalucifer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Beware this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post
Talk about confusing.

Using a similar email - as a username - and then using the real name of the username? What are the odds.

When I posted items for sale I closed out the thread with my first name. Would be my guess on where this person got it. To clarify he used my first name as his middle name. The first and last name that person used have zero correlation to mine.

dalucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 03:19 PM   #39
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalucifer View Post
When I posted items for sale I closed out the thread with my first name. Would be my guess on where this person got it. To clarify he used my first name as his middle name. The first and last name that person used have zero correlation to mine.

Understood. Some precautions might be in order.
Old 22 August 2018, 02:09 PM   #40
CMSgt Bo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 116710 BLNR
Be aware, this guy is not just a garden variety scammer, he is a hacker. He was detected and banned on WUS with usernames Donpuffy (dalucifer07@gmail.com), morozo99 (mrozowjj@gmail.com), and clayose (clayose@yahoo.com) two weeks ago, but not before he hacked a half-dozen accounts (all from WTB posts).

He has spoofed WUS, TZ, and TRF login pages hosted on a server in Hungary that we've been trying to get shut down for two months now. DO NOT log into any page that was sent to you in a hyperlink via email or Private Message. URL's can be spoofed to redirect you to a fake login page designed to capture your username and password.
CMSgt Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 03:11 AM   #41
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
Be aware, this guy is not just a garden variety scammer, he is a hacker. He was detected and banned on WUS with usernames Donpuffy (dalucifer07@gmail.com), morozo99 (mrozowjj@gmail.com), and clayose (clayose@yahoo.com) two weeks ago, but not before he hacked a half-dozen accounts (all from WTB posts).

He has spoofed WUS, TZ, and TRF login pages hosted on a server in Hungary that we've been trying to get shut down for two months now. DO NOT log into any page that was sent to you in a hyperlink via email or Private Message. URL's can be spoofed to redirect you to a fake login page designed to capture your username and password.
Basic 101 stuff here:

DO NOT CLICK ON A LINK FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW OR SOMETHING THAT IS A RANDOM FORWARD, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOME ADVANCED MALWARE SOFTWARE!!

Furthermore, always check THE ACTUAL address an email is coming from (not just the headline).

This isn't some sophisticated individual hacking into government servers, he is some stupid worthless asshole sending links and obtaining PW information.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 07:44 AM   #42
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Basic 101 stuff here:

DO NOT CLICK ON A LINK FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW OR SOMETHING THAT IS A RANDOM FORWARD, ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOME ADVANCED MALWARE SOFTWARE!!

Furthermore, always check THE ACTUAL address an email is coming from (not just the headline).

This isn't some sophisticated individual hacking into government servers, he is some stupid worthless asshole sending links and obtaining PW information.
Good advice.
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 07:40 AM   #43
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I am hyper sensitive when it comes to dealing with anyone on any forum. I assume that the account is hacked and basically force the seller to prove they are who they say they are. I was ripped off a little over a year ago from someone that hacked an account. Luckily for me, it was only $500.
Recently, I may have missed out on what could have been a great buy on a DRSD, but it just seemed a bit too good so I probed more.
I requested first hand references. The seller said I should look at his eBay account, which had stellar references. Then I actually requested photos of the watch with a dated sign. Once I had requested this, there was no more correspondence with the seller.
I saw that the seller had then posted an OHPF in his thread. The following day, the sale thread was gone (this is on TRF).
I'm not exactly sure what happened. I did receive another email from the seller stating that the watch was sold after I questioned.

In the end, it's better to be cautious and take your time to ensure everything is correct. Scammers will only have to get away with it once for it to payoff for them. In my case, it was $40K, so the payoff would have been huge.

I'm going to be putting a couple of my watches up for sale soon. I don't have many posts on this forum, but I do have references. It's up to me to ensure the buyer feels the transaction is safe for them and I am who I say I am.

If someone pushes back on giving you information - red flag.
DaytonaSubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote