The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2018, 01:34 PM   #31
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I’d pass on both. Paying 19,000 for a BLRO is just insane. You could get a used 116509 for 22/23 depending on the condition. I like the FF, but could care less about the mil-spec. Just because they are available doesn’t me you have to buy it. Would hold out for something a bit more special in my opinion. One watch that has been singing to me in that price range is the AP Diver - but not yet their to pull the trigger on it.
Old 19 August 2018, 01:46 PM   #32
peterpl
Banned

If you want to buy $19k for a SS BLRO then go for it. Its your money your handing to the gray dealer.

If I was you I'd get the FF + another SS Rolex or just save a few more K and if you really want the BLRO get the white gold one.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 02:19 PM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
if you really want the BLRO get the white gold one.
I hear this a lot and considered it myself but my counter would be....why pay a 7k premium in the secondary market for the same watch without the new movement, 3k worth of gold and less durability?

I’m short I think buying the watch in gold is crazier than buying the SS one over market. Buying the SS at retail is ideal but rest assured everyone with that opportunity has earned it by spending far more than 10k.
Old 19 August 2018, 02:25 PM   #34
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Under current conditions I’d say the FF being that the blro is way over priced in gray market. That being said, money independent, the blro is a better watch so if you think that you can source one at retail in the next year or so, then wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 03:39 PM   #35
kbj
"TRF" Member

I have the BP FF Mil-Spec and it’s an excellent watch. It gets a lot of wrist time.

I bought it from AD, because I like it. Didn’t think of resale value and still don’t as it doesn’t matter to me with this watch. It’s excellent size, wears really comfortable, generous lume and keep good time. The caliber 1151 is nice to look at and I like the story behind the watch.

I got the Patek 5990 awhile back and been wearing that almost all the time, but still the Mil-Spec finds it way to my wrist as I just love it.

That said, I’m in the waiting list for the BLRO, so eventually I will have both. So I don’t have to make the same choice as you, but I would pay only retail (or small discount) anyway.

Here’s a picture of the Mil-Spec about two weeks ago.

kbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 05:46 PM   #36
Faddius
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4k
Question on the BP FF milspec depreciation: most forums agree that they’ll depreciate 30-40% from list price. What’s forming this consensus? The other limited 40mm edition, the 50th anniversary FF seems to be well above list on the few times it comes up. I also haven’t seen any used mil specs for below list on forums/Chrono24 for sale.

The mark up over the normal FF for the milspec is pretty aggressive though
Faddius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 05:58 PM   #37
doramas
Banned

FF. The other thing is crazy.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 06:01 PM   #38
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
BP if you like it. Lovely piece in limited numbers.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 06:03 PM   #39
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
The BP is a bargain at $13.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 06:06 PM   #40
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Blancpain FF Mil-spec.
Old 19 August 2018, 06:18 PM   #41
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faddius View Post
Question on the BP FF milspec depreciation: most forums agree that they’ll depreciate 30-40% from list price. What’s forming this consensus? The other limited 40mm edition, the 50th anniversary FF seems to be well above list on the few times it comes up. I also haven’t seen any used mil specs for below list on forums/Chrono24 for sale.

The mark up over the normal FF for the milspec is pretty aggressive though
I think a big part of the depreciation is the spread between what you pay when you buy a watch in the secondary market and what you get when you sell into the secondary market. Additionally, there seems to be a consensus that BP will continue to produce the 40mm FF in non-limited production once they sell out of the Milspec.
cascavel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 06:53 PM   #42
SatansLittleHelper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
the blro is a better watch

Please could I ask why you think that? Because of the complication or something else?

I’ve owned models from both manufacturers and the build quality is generally higher in the BP.
SatansLittleHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:11 PM   #43
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
Get the Mil spec. the other is over hyped.
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:24 PM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Under current conditions I’d say the FF being that the blro is way over priced in gray market. That being said, money independent, the blro is a better watch so if you think that you can source one at retail in the next year or so, then wait.

The BLRO is not the better watch, on a good day it is the equal of the BP.

As for resale, as this is quite limited and demand is stronger for the 40mm size I don't think resales will fall by the usual 30-40% in time.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 09:53 PM   #45
Howie
"TRF" Member

I'd go for the Mil-Spec in this case.

Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:01 PM   #46
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansLittleHelper View Post
Please could I ask why you think that? Because of the complication or something else?

I’ve owned models from both manufacturers and the build quality is generally higher in the BP.
I should re-phrase that, sorry. Not necessarily "better", BP is IMO one of the top makers of timepieces and has tremendous heritage. I like the FF, ALOT. I think the BLRO is a more durable, will more than likely require less service and will hold value better. Would also be easier to re-sell IF ever wanted.

I have come to really like the FF, would definitely consider one at the right price.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:02 PM   #47
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Blro for 15 in a year
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:08 PM   #48
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
I would forget the hype and just get the one that sings to you.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:11 PM   #49
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like both watches but the pricing for both would slow me down. No way would I pay the asking price for the Rolex and the Blancpain will continue to drop like a rock as soon as it is fully in the market. I prefer the Rolex if you leave the money out of it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:21 PM   #50
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
BLRO. You’ll probably lose more on the BP in 5 years even though it’s under retail lol

Also taking a picture with the seconds hand covering the awful date window does nothing lol I see that all the time.
I'd like to say the you've officially ruined the FF for me Tom

OP the BLRO is the one here but I dont know if I could stomach paying that much over list ...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:59 PM   #51
SatansLittleHelper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
I should re-phrase that, sorry. Not necessarily "better", BP is IMO one of the top makers of timepieces and has tremendous heritage. I like the FF, ALOT. I think the BLRO is a more durable, will more than likely require less service and will hold value better. Would also be easier to re-sell IF ever wanted.

I have come to really like the FF, would definitely consider one at the right price.

Good points
SatansLittleHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 11:08 PM   #52
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
probably neither. don't know much about blancpain. what are they know for besides the fifty fathoms? are using generic eta movements?
The FF movement pisses all over the Rolex movement.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 12:59 AM   #53
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
For me, it depends what else I’d have in my collection. If you’re debating between Blro and BP, my guess is you’re not a newbie.

If you have a bunch of Rolex with steel bracelets, the BP is a nice change. It’s nice to see a luxury diver on someone’s wrist that is not a Sub. And the BP dial is easily recognizable by watch connoisseurs.

As a Rolex owner, I’d try the BP brand, even if I potentially incur a loss a resale. At that level, it’s sometimes fun to do the riskier buy.

Old 20 August 2018, 01:05 AM   #54
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I’d take the BLRO over the FF all day long. With that said I wouldn’t pay over retail myself nor did I.
SAME
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 02:01 AM   #55
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
FF all day everyday. While BP in general drops 30-40%, this watch has not and probably will not. The 5 day power reserve is great for wearing in rotation, and it has a great vintage feel without all the tacky vintage trimmings we see so often nowadays. It’s a *charmer* with a great history, well deserving of its many accolades in the past couple of years (I’m sure you’ve done your research)

The Pepsi is a great watch but is not worth that premium.
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 01:00 PM   #56
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Another vote for the Mil-Spec. It's beautifully finished, great looking and has a fantastic 120hr movement (https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/decon-blancpain/), that as someone already pointed out, wees on the Rolex. I would hold out for one on a bracelet, as the delta on the used market is massively less than the cost of adding one later.

If resale is a concern, the Blancpain seems to be holding at $12K+. You'd be paying a speculative $10K over on the BLRO and you stand to lose a chunk of that as soon as it's not the "in" watch or demand from the early "at-any-cost" adopters is satisfied.

You might also consider the regular 5015 Fifty fathoms, yes it is 45mm but it has very short curved lugs so wears much smaller than people imagine. Here's mine on my 71/2ish wrist:

You could buy it used for under $9k and wear it while you wait for the BLRO to become more available

At the end of the day, which do you really love ? Do you really like the BLRO or are you caught up in the hype ? It's a nice watch, but not at that price.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 03:06 PM   #57
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I think a big part of the depreciation is the spread between what you pay when you buy a watch in the secondary market and what you get when you sell into the secondary market. Additionally, there seems to be a consensus that BP will continue to produce the 40mm FF in non-limited production once they sell out of the Milspec.
They already are! It’s called the ocean commitment III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'd like to say the you've officially ruined the FF for me Tom

OP the BLRO is the one here but I dont know if I could stomach paying that much over list ...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Sorry Brian! I’m waiting for a no date myself if that ever comes to fruition
Old 20 August 2018, 03:48 PM   #58
Hank
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for chiming in! I was traveling on business so I didn't get a chance to join in on the discussions. I just went to check out the Blancpain boutique, just to test my luck, and see if they had the Mil-spec in stock. Of course they didn't but, luckily for me, they did have the new LE BP FF Ocean Commitment III (the exact same dimensions). Beautiful and well made watch but it looked and felt way smaller than I had imagined. I decided to pass on this watch and wait patiently until the BLRO price normalizes. Thank you all nonetheless for all your valuable inputs!
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 05:48 PM   #59
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Blancpain. Just don’t think about resell
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 11:43 PM   #60
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

I love the mil-spec as well and I realy have to control myself as there is one available now. But i guess (hoping) a regular FF in 40/41mm will be released some day for <10K. I have the Bathyscape and Blancpain sure does make some fine (tool) watches.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote