The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2018, 01:09 PM   #1
nycikuu
"TRF" Member

Platinum President Appraisal Question

I recently purchased a 1980s model President in platinum with an aftermarket diamond bezel and diamonds on the dial (dial is Rolex). Watch is in excellent condition and diamonds are all VS/VVS.

The appraiser valued the watch at over double the purchase price. I'm assuming the appraisal is equivalent to when this model was sold new in the 1980s?

Would this be questioned by the insurer? I have State Farm's personal articles policy. Do you think the value is accurate?

Thanks.
nycikuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Purchase price = market value.
The valuer must have been generous to you.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 04:09 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycikuu View Post
I recently purchased a 1980s model President in platinum with an aftermarket diamond bezel and diamonds on the dial (dial is Rolex). Watch is in excellent condition and diamonds are all VS/VVS.

The appraiser valued the watch at over double the purchase price. I'm assuming the appraisal is equivalent to when this model was sold new in the 1980s?

Would this be questioned by the insurer? I have State Farm's personal articles policy. Do you think the value is accurate?

Thanks.
If your appraisal value was $10,975 then yes.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I insure through State Farm. I have, among other items, a yellow gold DayDate that’s well over 25 years old. It’s insured at its replacement value at $34,000. I’m not sure how the conversation would go with State Farm if the watch were stolen. I’d let them find and buy the replacement. Typically, they offer either cash or a replacement. My wife has lost a couple of insured jewelry items and she has always wanted a replacement. State Farm has been easy to deal with every time.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 10:17 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned several Platinum DD II's and have always had the watches appraised at what would be my cost to replace the watch. I am not interested in paying premiums for stated values that exceed my ability to replace the watch. I would do some research and find out what the watch could be replaced for and have the appraisal reflect that. Just because you pay a premium at a stated amount does not mean the insurance will pay you out for that amount.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 11:26 PM   #6
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned several Platinum DD II's and have always had the watches appraised at what would be my cost to replace the watch. I am not interested in paying premiums for stated values that exceed my ability to replace the watch. I would do some research and find out what the watch could be replaced for and have the appraisal reflect that. Just because you pay a premium at a stated amount does not mean the insurance will pay you out for that amount.

This is correct. Appraisals are almost always much more than actual value.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 11:48 PM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
completed transactions are what matters. appraisals are educated estimates. nothing more nothing less. in terms of watches they do tell the insurer that the watch is real however.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 12:00 AM   #8
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
No sense in paying the inflated appraisal value.
Insurer will pay what it costs to replace, up to appraised value. If costs less than appraised, that’s is all you’ll get.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 12:32 AM   #9
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
No sense in paying the inflated appraisal value.
Insurer will pay what it costs to replace, up to appraised value. If costs less than appraised, that’s is all you’ll get.
That is one thing that always struck me as odd, using modern MSRP for a replacement cost. Not like auto insurers give you a latest model year of your vehicle when it gets totaled. And in the case of some vintage watches they are worth a lot more than current MSRP
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 02:31 AM   #10
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I got a slightly used platinum Daytona from DSW. I asked him for an appraisal for insurance purposes and he sent me one for MSRP. I asked him to adjust it to what I paid and of course he did. No sense paying for more insurance than you need.