The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 August 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
kymwatchlog
Banned

Can the Mesh from a PO2500 fit onto the new PO8500?

Can the original Mesh from a PO2500 fit onto the new PO8500?

I am thinking of gettin rid of the new original bracelet that the PO8500 came in and buy the Mesh from Omega to put it on her.

Does this work in terms of fit and look?

Just wonder if there are any differences in lug shape that may cause a wrong fit?

In the looks department, is the Mesh too manly for the dressier overall look of the new PO8500?

For easy reference:
Both the PO2500 (ref: 2201.52.00) and so is the new ceramic bezel-ed PO8500 (ref: 232.30.42.21.01.001) is 42mm dia with 20mm lug width.
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2012, 09:44 AM   #2
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2, BLNR, PO, Nav
Judge for yourself, I love it.

KeepTicking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2012, 09:45 AM   #3
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

And obviously seeing that I have the mesh on mine it does fit, same lug width.
Old 1 August 2012, 09:51 AM   #4
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Oh one more thing to add, I have the old style mesh that allows you to see the spring bars through the bracelet as it has no polished tubes like the new version. I personally like the old version better, but you can't beat the new ProPlof clasp, I may upgrade to it from the seatbelt style clasp on it now.
Old 1 August 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
kymwatchlog
Banned

is there a part number for the "old" mesh? i agree it looks nice to see the springbars!

the "new" mesh has polished tubes so not sure if it will achieve the same look results as yours...
Old 1 August 2012, 11:36 AM   #6
kymwatchlog
Banned

in terms of strength, tubes vs. non-tubes, any difference or danger of springbars popping?
Old 1 August 2012, 04:01 PM   #7
kymwatchlog
Banned

Hi Brian,

I was at the AD a few mins ago. The salesperson reminded me that the 2500 is thinner than the 8500 so the mesh looks better on the 2500. Since the 8500 has a thicker case, the mesh tends to drop more downwards at the lugs causing the bracelet to "disappear" and one will see the 8500 sit higher as a result.

What are your thoughts on this?

thanks!
Old 1 August 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymwatchlog View Post
Hi Brian,

I was at the AD a few mins ago. The salesperson reminded me that the 2500 is thinner than the 8500 so the mesh looks better on the 2500. Since the 8500 has a thicker case, the mesh tends to drop more downwards at the lugs causing the bracelet to "disappear" and one will see the 8500 sit higher as a result.

What are your thoughts on this?

thanks!
I don't agree. I have a PO 2500 and 8500 and I think the mesh looks great on both. I've never actually received compliments on my watches (I prefer people not notice) but I have gotten several compliments on my mesh bracelet, not compliments on the PO, just the bracelet lol. I'll post pics below of both my 2500 and 8500 with mesh, see what you think, I love them both with it. Also, my girlfriend who thinks watches over $100 are just unnecessary LOVES the mesh, she tells me everytime I wear it and tells me not to wear the original bracelet. Just food for thought.

Old 1 August 2012, 11:28 PM   #9
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

If you want more pics let me know, I can take some tonight, I'm at work now and not wearing a PO.
Old 1 August 2012, 11:40 PM   #10
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
is there a part number for the "old" mesh? i agree it looks nice to see the springbars!

the "new" mesh has polished tubes so not sure if it will achieve the same look results as yours...
Model number OME-020ST1380237

Ofrei has them, look on this page http://www.ofrei.com/page1280.html
Old 1 August 2012, 11:44 PM   #11
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
in terms of strength, tubes vs. non-tubes, any difference or danger of springbars popping?
I can't speak for the bracelet with the tubes, but the old style is tremendously strong using 20mm spring bars. I do believe the original metal bracelet uses 19mm bc it has end links and doesn't need to extra strength that the mesh requires due to no end links. I hope I've helped you out!!
Old 2 August 2012, 02:03 AM   #12
kymwatchlog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmendick1 View Post
Model number OME-020ST1380237

Ofrei has them, look on this page http://www.ofrei.com/page1280.html
thanks pal!

so this old mesh buckle does it open like a clasp (close loop) or into two pieces (like a leather/rubber two piece strap)? not sure if u get what i mean...

Ofrei sells them brand new unused?
Old 2 August 2012, 02:10 AM   #13
kymwatchlog
Banned

Quote:
I don't agree. I have a PO 2500 and 8500 and I think the mesh looks great on both. I've never actually received compliments on my watches (I prefer people not notice) but I have gotten several compliments on my mesh bracelet, not compliments on the PO, just the bracelet lol. I'll post pics below of both my 2500 and 8500 with mesh, see what you think, I love them both with it. Also, my girlfriend who thinks watches over $100 are just unnecessary LOVES the mesh, she tells me everytime I wear it and tells me not to wear the original bracelet. Just food for thought.

nice pics and very helpful my friend!

did you use back the original springbars from the PO8500 on the mesh or do you need to get a different sized springbars?

thanks!
Old 2 August 2012, 02:12 AM   #14
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks pal!

so this old mesh buckle does it open like a clasp (close loop) or into two pieces (like a leather/rubber two piece strap)? not sure if u get what i mean...

Ofrei sells them brand new unused?
Yes they are brand new from ofrei. The buckle opens completely like a leather strap, not a closed loop. The clasp operates exactly like the buckle on an airplane seatbelt. I attached some pics to illustrate.

Old 2 August 2012, 02:24 AM   #15
kymwatchlog
Banned

thanks for the step by step illustration!

does the metal plate (the one with the omega logo) gets flipped up or unlocked easily. seems that it does..

how is the mesh sized to fit? do u have to permanently remove any parts?

thks!
Old 2 August 2012, 03:08 AM   #16
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks for the step by step illustration!

does the metal plate (the one with the omega logo) gets flipped up or unlocked easily. seems that it does..

how is the mesh sized to fit? do u have to permanently remove any parts?

thks!
The clasp is very secure in everyday wear. I will caution you that it will open when diving into water, happened to me in the Bahamas, I was swimming when a very nice woman held up a watch she had found on the bottom of the ocean. That was a close call and I'm extremely careful in water now, but I assure you it is very secure for normal wear. As far as sizing, you size it via the clasp and move the spring bar to four different holes. If you need smaller than that you'll need to cut mesh, bigger and you need to buy an extension (also sold on ofrei). I have a 6 3/4" wrist, this bracelet can probably accommodate a max wrist size of 7", maybe 7 1/4". I am sincerely thinking about buying the ProPlof laps for extra security, but I don't want to bc that clasp is huge.
Old 2 August 2012, 08:10 AM   #17
kymwatchlog
Banned

Quote:
The clasp is very secure in everyday wear. I will caution you that it will open when diving into water, happened to me in the Bahamas, I was swimming when a very nice woman held up a watch she had found on the bottom of the ocean. That was a close call and I'm extremely careful in water now, but I assure you it is very secure for normal wear. As far as sizing, you size it via the clasp and move the spring bar to four different holes. If you need smaller than that you'll need to cut mesh, bigger and you need to buy an extension (also sold on ofrei). I have a 6 3/4" wrist, this bracelet can probably accommodate a max wrist size of 7", maybe 7 1/4". I am sincerely thinking about buying the ProPlof laps for extra security, but I don't want to bc that clasp is huge.
thanks!

now that is an IMPORTANT point as i swim with all my WR watches :(

i thought that everyday wear will easily get the clasp caught in something and hence activating it. if swimming and the movt of the watch thru water can unlock the lever, then it is very INSECURE...

btw my wrist is 6.5in
Old 2 August 2012, 08:23 AM   #18
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
thanks!

now that is an IMPORTANT point as i swim with all my WR watches :(

i thought that everyday wear will easily get the clasp caught in something and hence activating it. if swimming and the movt of the watch thru water can unlock the lever, then it is very INSECURE...

btw my wrist is 6.5in
Couldn't be more wrong, it will only unlock if it wasn't done up correctly originally, the design has been used for the best part of 40 years with nothing but good results, and the clasp can't flip up easily at all, its heavily sprung, and sits flush such that you need to get your fingernail underneath it to get any purchase.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2012, 11:43 PM   #19
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Couldn't be more wrong, it will only unlock if it wasn't done up correctly originally, the design has been used for the best part of 40 years with nothing but good results, and the clasp can't flip up easily at all, its heavily sprung, and sits flush such that you need to get your fingernail underneath it to get any purchase.
You're right, it is heavily sprung, however, I can make the watch come off of my wrist in my pool every single time by diving with my hands in front of me. The water pressure is great enough to lift open the clasp every single time. I love the bracelet but believe me, it is not as secure in water as it should be, as states earlier I dove into the ocean and it was instantly off my wrist. I will say that it is plenty secure for normal daily wear.
Old 3 August 2012, 12:56 AM   #20
kymwatchlog
Banned

wrong post
Old 3 August 2012, 01:21 AM   #21
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Watch Co may still have an ebay only sale on, OEM Omega Mesh $299. Extention piece $26. Good Luck.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2012, 01:49 AM   #22
kymwatchlog
Banned

sad that it seems a design lapse here.

and i thought these were found on the vintage sm300 and ploprof etc...
Old 4 August 2012, 02:08 AM   #23
KeepTicking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
sad that it seems a design lapse here.

and i thought these were found on the vintage sm300 and ploprof etc...
It was found on those watches... Makes me wonder what issues were had with divers.