The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2018, 04:18 AM   #1
ocN55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Icon7 GMT did not start from shake?

Hi all!

I wanted to share a little experience I had with my BLNR and was hoping others could shed some light on it.

I haven't worn my BLNR for a couple weeks and went to wear it the other day. I was in a rush in didn't wind the watch and was expecting it to start running by the movement of my wrist. But a few minutes later I noticed that the watch was still dead and wouldn't start running after even taking it off and shaking it a few times. So I just ended up winding it and all seems well...

Should I be concerned? This is my first time not wearing the watch for such an extended period. Usually it has always started back from just being shaken (albeit sometimes even lightly), but this was back when the longest I wouldn't wear the watch was 4-5 days.

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated!
ocN55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I doubt you need to be concerned that it required winding via the crown before it started running. My Submariner requires quite a few twists of the crown to start after it has run to a stop.

Don't shake your watch to start it. Rolex watches are robust, but the maker's recommendation is to wind it via the crown in order to start it running.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #3
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Wind it 40+ times and it will be fine.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:30 AM   #4
JacksonStone
Banned

Many Rolexes won't start without substantial winding (20 or more turns of the crown), so a simple shake won't do the job, as you discovered. Just wind it fully (40+ turns) and you'll be fine.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:47 AM   #5
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Hi all!

I wanted to share a little experience I had with my BLNR and was hoping others could shed some light on it.

I haven't work my BLNR for a couple weeks and went to wear it the other day. I was in a rush in didn't wind the watch and was expecting it to start running by the movement of my wrist. But a few minutes later I noticed that the watch was still dead and wouldn't start running after even taking it off and shaking it a few times. So I just ended up winding it and all seems well...

Should I be concerned? This is my first time not wearing the watch for such an extended period. Usually it has always started back from just being shaken (albeit sometimes even lightly), but this was back when the longest I wouldn't wear the watch was 4-5 days.

Don’t be concerned it’s normal for a mech watch. Good idea to give it 40 winds when flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:48 AM   #6
ocN55
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Out of curiosity, does anyone think it is detrimental to shake the watch when its dead? I read that one user claimed his watch was damaged this way but not sure how that could happen.
Old 25 September 2018, 04:54 AM   #7
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:

Out of curiosity, does anyone think it is detrimental to shake the watch when its dead? I read that one user claimed his watch was damaged this way but not sure how that could happen.
Generally, shocks are to be avoided, although good watches are built to withstand them. But why impart more jolting to the movement than necessary? Besides, shaking is a "lazy" workaround. Essentially, by shaking, you're attempting to impart enough energy to the escapement to try to utilize scant amounts of power remaining in the mainspring, rather than taking the time to wind it. That's why it has worked for you on occasion, but not after the watch sat for a longer period, after the spring was completely drained. However, what you really need to do is wind the watch to give it enough power, and the escapement will start automatically. Treat the watch in accordance with how it was meant to work, and it will treat you better in the long run.
Old 25 September 2018, 04:56 AM   #8
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you shook it like a tin of whipping cream you might. But a gentle side to side of the wrist at 2 Hz is nothing to worry about!
Old 25 September 2018, 04:59 AM   #9
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
If you shook it like a tin of whipping cream you might. But a gentle side to side of the wrist at 2 Hz is nothing to worry about!
Although better to wind it manually as stated above.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:03 AM   #10
ocN55
"TRF" Member

Amazing responses everyone, thank you!

I've gotten lazy a couple times and probably tried the "shake to start" a couple more times that I should have haha

Will stick with winding
Old 25 September 2018, 05:03 AM   #11
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Hi all!

I haven't work my BLNR for a couple weeks and went to wear it the other day. I was in a rush in didn't wind the watch and was expecting it to start running by the movement of my wrist. But a few minutes later I noticed that the watch was still dead and wouldn't start running after even taking it off and shaking it a few times. So I just ended up winding it and all seems well...

I start reading OP post like this:

I wanted to shake a little experience....
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 05:05 AM   #12
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Amazing responses everyone, thank you!

I've gotten lazy a couple times and probably tried the "shake to start" a couple more times that I should have haha

Will stick with winding
Good idea. Besides, if the watch has stopped, you're going to have to take the time to set it anyway. Winding isn't that much more effort, as long as you have already unscrewed the crown.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:05 AM   #13
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Should you be concerned? No, it is a Rolex.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 05:36 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

ive had mine stop on my wrist when the PR was very low when i put it on. It doesnt start back up on its own. It probably would eventually, like after all day since when winding manually, you need to get a lot of winds in before the second hand starts. With a Patek for example the second hand starts after one wind.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 06:09 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

If the watch is completely unwound then there is no torque on the gear-train and everything inside the movement is slack.

Whipping it back and forth will rattle the insides like a handful of marbles in a tin can.

Please don't do this, or at least be gentle when you do.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:16 AM   #16
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Rolex sends out an important reminder with watches following servicing that they may need winding. An unwound watch is an unwound watch...See below:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 06:52 AM   #17
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Wind it. You need 40 rotations for a full wind, probably 15 give or take to get the second hand moving. Do get that amount of winding by shaking you’d need to go to Home Depot’s paint department and put it in a paint shaker. Don’t go to Home Depot’s paint department and put it in a paint shaker.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:46 AM   #18
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Whipping it back and forth will rattle the insides like a handful of marbles in a tin can.

Please don't do this, or at least be gentle when you do.
Whipping it back and forth rattling the insides.
I like that

I suppose that would assume there's enough clearance all around the parts in combination with sheer mass to actually "rattle" the insides.
It's definately a new and interesting theory though
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:46 AM   #19
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Wind it. You need 40 rotations for a full wind, probably 15 give or take to get the second hand moving. Do get that amount of winding by shaking you’d need to go to Home Depot’s paint department and put it in a paint shaker. Don’t go to Home Depot’s paint department and put it in a paint shaker.
Agreed.
This could be problematic.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote