The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 September 2018, 05:08 AM   #1
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Wearing Rolex in Asia

Hi friends,

I am living in California but i will go to Asia, Vietnam specifically, some months for work. Just wondering if any of you have experience wearing Rolex on the stress. I mean....i'm somewhat worry about safety there. Not sure if i can wear my Rolex watches daily as of here. Any suggestion?

Also, i will have to bring all my automatic watches through airport x-ray, would it harm my watches in anyway?

Thanks
Old 25 September 2018, 05:11 AM   #2
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Do you think other people travel by air with their watches? What do you think they do at the airport?
Old 25 September 2018, 05:12 AM   #3
MinMay
Banned

If you're worried or stress about it, then the logical answer is to leave it at home. true? :)

Search for "stolen watches" and YOU make the decision if you want to worry about your watch on vacation or be stress-free and enjoying your time :)

People will answer "wear it" or "don't wear it". Anyhow, if something bad happens to you, they don't care... It's you who will be affected, not them.

Good luck.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:13 AM   #4
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

I know but i remember reading a threads up here about Rolex at airport, not remember exactly what it was about, therefore, i askes to be sure
Old 25 September 2018, 05:14 AM   #5
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
If you're worried or stress about it, then the logical answer is to leave it at home. true? :)

Search for "stolen watches" and YOU make the decision if you want to worry about your watch on vacation or be stress-free and enjoying your time :)

People will answer "wear it" or "don't wear it". Anyhow, if something bad happens to you, they don't care... It's you who will be affected, not them.

Good luck.
Thing is....i will stay there quite sometime, too long to leave them home. This isnt vacation. It's business purpose that could be extend longer if needed for the business
Old 25 September 2018, 05:18 AM   #6
torrente
"TRF" Member

In the next weeks I will be in Turkey, when I go to places that might not be safe I get my Explorer and a Seiko. I feel much better leaving the blinger watches at home.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:20 AM   #7
MinMay
Banned

Up to you bro No one can give you advice or tell you what to do with your watch :) .

You're making it way too complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvn579 View Post
Thing is....i will stay there quite sometime, too long to leave them home. This isnt vacation. It's business purpose that could be extend longer if needed for the business
Old 25 September 2018, 05:23 AM   #8
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Insure your watch(es), be smart about it and enjoy.

Of course in Vietnam you are likely to face a bit more poverty and desperation than perhaps you're used to in CA, but you have to be careful anywhere you go.

Nothing to worry about at the airport. Just wear your watch, or tuck it into your carry on prior to security.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:26 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Hi friends,

I am living in California but i will go to Asia, Vietnam specifically, some months for work. Just wondering if any of you have experience wearing Rolex on the stress. I mean....i'm somewhat worry about safety there. Not sure if i can wear my Rolex watches daily as of here. Any suggestion?

Also, i will have to bring all my automatic watches through airport x-ray, would it harm my watches in anyway?

Thanks
Freudian slip there. I think if you are very worried then don't you don't need that stress on the streets.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:28 AM   #10
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Saigon metro has more millionaires per capita than a lot of US cities nowadays. Also, depends on where you locate in the city, district 1 has a lot of Ferrari/Lambo cars parking on the streets. Some of my local friends wear $20k+ watches and no one jack them. However, beware of your surrounding and don’t flash your jewelry in poor neighborhoods. It common sense even in US cities. Enjoy and don’t worry too much.
Old 25 September 2018, 05:48 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

think about this...people they ship them all over the place in brown cardboard boxes to avoid paying taxes, like that is risk free from damage or theft... But wont wear them.

Your fedex box goes to Memphis, scary
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 25 September 2018, 05:50 AM   #12
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
As Gotgolf52 said, District 1 in HCMC is busy but fairly safe as long as you are aware of your surroundings and downplay what you are wearing. I have heard about purses and iPhones getting taken there more than watches since they are easier to snag and ride off on a motorbike.

There are a lot of high-end watch stores popping up in Hanoi, as well (new Patek store being built near the RM boutique, right around the corner from VC, Omega and Hublot). Things are more low-key there since it's the capital, so doubt you would even get a second glance wearing a Rolex.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:33 AM   #13
BaliBryan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 RED, OP39,PAM
Watch out for guys on motorbikes that ride up way too close. I had a couple guys ride right up on me face to face and the guy in the back reached out to grab my DSSD luckily he didn't get a good grip. Later that evening saw the same two riding around the same area staring me down f2f. (HCMC district 1 near the night market).

I personally would not put myself in that situation again. Leave.the watch.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:46 AM   #14
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliBryan View Post
Watch out for guys on motorbikes that ride up way too close. I had a couple guys ride right up on me face to face and the guy in the back reached out to grab my DSSD luckily he didn't get a good grip. Later that evening saw the same two riding around the same area staring me down f2f. (HCMC district 1 near the night market).

I personally would not put myself in that situation again. Leave.the watch.
Basically, stay away from the street It's all motorbike :) . It was your lucky day. 10K can last a person for 10 years when average monthly salary is $150.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:46 AM   #15
Available Mase
Banned

Based on your questions I feel you're an ez target.
Wear a casio. Leave the Rolex at home in the safe.
Old 25 September 2018, 06:58 AM   #16
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Wear a cheap watch and enjoy Vietnam. Otherwise you will constantly looking over your shoulder.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:06 AM   #17
nick800
"TRF" Member

For all intents and purposes, I’ve been almost everywhere in Asia and most of Western Europe. Usually with 2 Rolex in tow, including on my wrist at the airport. You’re not traveling with bars of gold. Enjoy life. Get them insured for peace of mind.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:10 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
i'm somewhat worry about safety there.
Then why go there?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 25 September 2018, 07:22 AM   #19
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Then why go there?
Work
Old 25 September 2018, 07:38 AM   #20
Woody
"TRF" Member

First of all I think that Vietnam is an amazing country and probably my favourite of the many that I have been lucky to have worked in around the world. You are extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to send some time there and you should look to enjoy the experience. Last time I was there I wore my Daytona without any problems. That said, only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck and I hope you have a great time.
Old 25 September 2018, 07:38 AM   #21
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

I would be more scared of having a nice watch in most parts of California rather than Vietnam I doubt a homeless guy will bum rush you in Vietnam as they would in San Francisco. You will be fine, I’m sure
Old 25 September 2018, 07:56 AM   #22
elitejae
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish01 View Post
I would be more scared of having a nice watch in most parts of California rather than Vietnam I doubt a homeless guy will bum rush you in Vietnam as they would in San Francisco. You will be fine, I’m sure
I get what you're getting at, but it's really not that bad here in SF. I daily my Daytona and work downtown where it can be rough (admittedly, anecdotal and biased).

To the OP - if you have doubts, then trust your instincts and leave it at home. If you do decide to take it, employ reasonable tactics and situational awareness like you would in any other city.

Lastly, to cover the edge case: if you do leave it at home and once there realize you feel safe and miss the wrist candy, then swing by some local ADs and pick up a fresh find!
Old 25 September 2018, 08:49 AM   #23
andyvn579
"TRF" Member

As some suggestions, maybe i should insure my watches and enjoy them. Anyone knows if they cover international?
Old 25 September 2018, 09:01 AM   #24
R!$
Banned

Everyone wear gold Rolex in Asia. I like to wear Rose gold or my Gold Sub
Old 25 September 2018, 12:15 PM   #25
TonyYu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN, 116509BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
Everyone wear gold Rolex in Asia. I like to wear Rose gold or my Gold Sub
China, Japan, Korea are fine. Other areas I am not so sure.
Old 25 September 2018, 12:42 PM   #26
Highjinx
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub - 16610
I live in Nam and wear mine. No problem. Just don't take it off once there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2018, 12:48 PM   #27
OceanSade
"TRF" Member

Don’t risk it. There are pickpocket / snatch theft syndicates in quite a few parts of Asia.
A 5% chance of getting robbed is still putting yourself at risk.
Unless you’re going to Japan, HK, Taipei, Singapore then you’re safe.
Source: Being Asian, I’ve been to most parts of Asia.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:11 PM   #28
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
First of all I think that Vietnam is an amazing country and probably my favourite of the many that I have been lucky to have worked in around the world. You are extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to send some time there and you should look to enjoy the experience. Last time I was there I wore my Daytona without any problems. That said, only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck and I hope you have a great time.

Agree with the above. I wouldn’t leave any valuables in the hotel unless it’s in a safe. I think if you worry about what you’re wearing, then you shouldn’t wear it. FYI I wore my Rolex, Panerai, and Speedmaster in Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, and Thailand without any issues.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:18 PM   #29
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Worrying about what an X-ray would do to your watch over your own body is kind of funny. I
Sure your watch would be fine. It’s mostly steel, some silicon, faux jewels and lubricants afterall. Vietnam is pretty safe when compared to any major western city. However, if you intend to go out into the wee hours drinking hard and partying, you probably should take out a beater watch... like anywhere else as this increases risk.
Old 25 September 2018, 01:20 PM   #30
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I took three of my Rolex watches on my recent trip to Malaysia and no issues
Just don’t wear it when going to a place you’re not sure of or to a run down neighborhood... etc
Otherwise I would take them