The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Rodentman
Banned

Omega position/timing

I've had my Omega 3573.50 for a couple of weeks now and it seems to be running fast, about +7 to +10 a day. That's not so bad that I can't live with it, but I stopped by the AD and they told me it is +0 in one position and +13 in another, and points in between in other positions. I can't recall which position was the fastest or slowest.

My questions is:

Is that much position variation "normal" for that movement?

Or is it a symptom of some problem? Should the movement be more consistent or is that the way they are?

My Rolex's are about the same variance in any position. Guess I'm just not sure what expectation I should have for the Omega. I know it's not a quartz watch and I don't expect it to be but I don't know if I am getting the most consistent rate possible.

The AD has it for examination, but I wanted to ask the forum folks what they thought.....
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I have an 1128, whose base is an ETA2893-2 and an 8500 and they are about the same in all positions, so I suspect yours needs a tweak. To be honest any chronometer based movement of any brand should be pretty consistent.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Rodentman
Banned

Perdu, thank you for the response. I deal with endshake, mainsprings, timing, and even "the hand" in my other hobby.

I'll see what the dealer can do for me....
Old 23 July 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
MikeyP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
I have an 1128, whose base is an ETA2893-2 and an 8500 and they are about the same in all positions, so I suspect yours needs a tweak. To be honest any chronometer based movement of any brand should be pretty consistent.
The 3573.50 isn't a chronometer certified movement though...

I have the 3570.50 and it also experiences some variation. If I wear it or leave it face up, it is about -8s per day but if i put it on it's side, it is about +6. I just alternate positions and it is spot on for months. They should easily be able to tweak your movement but I don't mind it as long as it is consistent in the different position. Now if it were jumping around all over the place, I would have it looked it. Let me know what happens, I'd be curious to know if I could adjust my watch to w/in chronometer specs...
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2012, 01:00 AM   #5
Rodentman
Banned

I will post a follow up. My concern is to make sure there is nothing wrong with the movement. If it that different in various positions, so be it, if that's the nature of the beast.
Old 23 July 2012, 06:55 AM   #6
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

As above, the cal. 1861 is a non-chronometer rated movement, so greater positional variance is to be expected. However, +/- 7-10s per day is fine, I really wouldn't worry about it
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Rodentman
Banned

That's pretty much what I figured but the AD is taking a look at it just to make sure all is well.