The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2012, 04:27 AM   #1
Ditch
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster 105.003

The 'Ed White' 105.003 is one of my grails. I've only been researching & on the look-out for one for about 6 months, so I'm not adequately confident of my instincts to buy one from eBay yet, but this one looks good to me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1964-Vinta...item3a77a4136e

Not perfect condition, but looks honest to me & that's what I'd want. I've checked the numbers in various reference tables & they all seem good.

I'd love to know your opinions on it, so that when the time eventually comes, I know whether I can trust my instincts.

PS. I also reckon that if the buyer tonight gets it for around £2500 they'd have done pretty well. Anyone disagree?
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
There was one that just went for 3400 USD the other day with a much better dial, hands and bezel than the one you are looking at. Same head only type of sale.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Ditch
"TRF" Member

Head only is what i'd be looking for. I just don't get on whith bracelets.

Due to exchange rates US prices look great, until you allow for UK import duties, then they'll likely be more expensive than UK sales.

This would be my 'adventure' watch, so little point in me buying mint condition, because after six months it wouldn't be that anymore. It isn't going to be living in a safe. Immediately upon purchase I'd send it off for pressure test & seals.

The eBay one went for £2050 in the end. If it is as honest as I think it is (albeit with very limited knowledge & experience) I think someone did OK there.
Old 31 July 2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
You want one that is in better shape. Not so faded bezel and the dial / hands in a bit better condition. The only reason I say this is because if it has some wear on it the bezel, dial and hands can not be replaced unless you do with new parts. Speedies I would try and find the absolute best you can for your money and not settle. You are also going to have to factor in a service which is over 1000 at Omega based on their price list or a private watchmaker. For something vintage and I was going to wear I wouldn't want a fragile piece that has seen better days. Just my thoughts friend.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2012, 09:24 AM   #5
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
As a young boy, mom took me to the San Antonio airport to see Ed White return to his hometown after his spacewalk. I've been a space geek ever since.

DD OysterQuartz
Brietling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Ditch
"TRF" Member

Thanks Kringkily. If a worn example might be unable to handle the kind of use I'd be giving it, then that's definitely a problem. Purely aesthetically I prefer well worn though. I know I'm in the minority on that.

I've got a private watchmaker in mind for first service, where it would be about £500. They have plenty of 321 experience.

I had been working on the assumption (perhaps incorrectly?) that so long as the movement & all functions operate correctly, then after a decent service it should be pretty reliable even if the bezel, case & dial are a bit on the worn side...

Your expert advice is much appreciated, & I'm fully aware that I know nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Old 31 July 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Ditch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
As a young boy, mom took me to the San Antonio airport to see Ed White return to his hometown after his spacewalk. I've been a space geek ever since.

DD OysterQuartz
Brietling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
I just got what we English call 'goosebumps' 3 times after reading that! Epic.

When people talk about sportsstars as 'heroes' it bugs me.

Ed White was a hero.