The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2018, 02:45 AM   #91
RayShepherd
Banned

Hublot
RayShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 02:48 AM   #92
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My first mechanical watch after college, Longines Hydroconquest. Sold it after 1.5 years for a 16610, then it was all over..
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 04:25 AM   #93
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
A gift from my folks, when I joined the Navy in 1966 and still with me today.

Truly amazing! Still looks brand new. Wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24 September 2018, 05:26 AM   #94
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I can’t remember ever being watchless. I remember having a winding mechanical watch when I was a kid, then I had a quartz. Don’t remember what kinds of watches they were.

When I got into high school I came to the conclusion that the only jewelry a man should ever wear is a watch and a wedding band once married, so the watch should be a nice one. I bought a couple of Gucci watches when I was a teen in the ‘80s, then a Tag Heur Link when I had income not related to summer jobs in the ‘90s.

My dad bought me a Breitling in 2011 just before he got sick and passed away. I will keep this forever.

While the reason for my addiction to watches is lost in time, my addiction to Rolex Watches is very clear, I bought my wife a gold datejust “Lady’s President” 69178 On the internet, and holding it in my hand l, when it was delivered, a feeling of quality and luxury I can’t really describe took hold of me. I decided then and there I wanted a Rolex, a GMT was what became my favourite after some research. Fast forward a few years to December 2017 and a friend of mine needed some money and wanted to sell his Rolex. I told him I would buy it, when he gave it to me, it had an extra hand, but it wasn’t a GMT, as soon as I got home I researched it (found what I needed on this very site) it was an Explorer II I was totally chuffed to get the GMT feature even though it wasn’t a GMT II. I knew I would one day get the GMT II, but the feeling of looking at my wrist with a Rolex on was addictive.

I have been trying to quit smoking this year so I decided to reward myself for milestones in not smoking. My first reward was a Tudor BB S&G.

Continuing to read this forum convinced me to buy an 116600 for investment purposes, but I liked the watch too much not to rotate it on my wrist so I abandoned the idea of keeping it pristine. Next I randomly found a GMT II LN at an overseas AD and bought it, then a white DJ36 then an white TT Sky-Dweller, Then I realized I needed a Speedy And a sub to have a real sports watch collection so I got a Speedy pro then a 114060 which I thought was the perfect compliment to the date but no cyclops 116600 and the date and cyclops 116710LN I had already bought. Next I randomly sourced (with the kind help of a WIS colleague) a black 116500 at another AD and bought that, and just last week on my birthday a 116234 Datejust on my first Jubilee bracelet.

I have four more Rolex purchases to consider, I want a White 116500 and I am on two waiting lists. I will happily wait for 5 years for that. I want a Coke GMT II I think this is my favourite Rolex but having spent so much in the last year I’m going to wait until the economy slows down, I’m not paying the current grey market prices for this watch, if they ever come out with a Coke ceramic I will be on waiting lists the next day. I want a President, I plan on getting one for my 50th birthday next year. And last but not least, the watch I decided on after first experiencing my wife’s President, a YG GMT Master II, it sure wether a green or black dial, love them both.

I never realized how expensive my wife’s President would become. LOL.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 03:20 AM   #95
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
I can’t remember ever being watchless. I remember having a winding mechanical watch when I was a kid, then I had a quartz. Don’t remember what kinds of watches they were.

When I got into high school I came to the conclusion that the only jewelry a man should ever wear is a watch and a wedding band once married, so the watch should be a nice one. I bought a couple of Gucci watches when I was a teen in the ‘80s, then a Tag Heur Link when I had income not related to summer jobs in the ‘90s.

My dad bought me a Breitling in 2011 just before he got sick and passed away. I will keep this forever.

While the reason for my addiction to watches is lost in time, my addiction to Rolex Watches is very clear, I bought my wife a gold datejust “Lady’s President” 69178 On the internet, and holding it in my hand l, when it was delivered, a feeling of quality and luxury I can’t really describe took hold of me. I decided then and there I wanted a Rolex, a GMT was what became my favourite after some research. Fast forward a few years to December 2017 and a friend of mine needed some money and wanted to sell his Rolex. I told him I would buy it, when he gave it to me, it had an extra hand, but it wasn’t a GMT, as soon as I got home I researched it (found what I needed on this very site) it was an Explorer II I was totally chuffed to get the GMT feature even though it wasn’t a GMT II. I knew I would one day get the GMT II, but the feeling of looking at my wrist with a Rolex on was addictive.

I have been trying to quit smoking this year so I decided to reward myself for milestones in not smoking. My first reward was a Tudor BB S&G.

Continuing to read this forum convinced me to buy an 116600 for investment purposes, but I liked the watch too much not to rotate it on my wrist so I abandoned the idea of keeping it pristine. Next I randomly found a GMT II LN at an overseas AD and bought it, then a white DJ36 then an white TT Sky-Dweller, Then I realized I needed a Speedy And a sub to have a real sports watch collection so I got a Speedy pro then a 114060 which I thought was the perfect compliment to the date but no cyclops 116600 and the date and cyclops 116710LN I had already bought. Next I randomly sourced (with the kind help of a WIS colleague) a black 116500 at another AD and bought that, and just last week on my birthday a 116234 Datejust on my first Jubilee bracelet.

I have four more Rolex purchases to consider, I want a White 116500 and I am on two waiting lists. I will happily wait for 5 years for that. I want a Coke GMT II I think this is my favourite Rolex but having spent so much in the last year I’m going to wait until the economy slows down, I’m not paying the current grey market prices for this watch, if they ever come out with a Coke ceramic I will be on waiting lists the next day. I want a President, I plan on getting one for my 50th birthday next year. And last but not least, the watch I decided on after first experiencing my wife’s President, a YG GMT Master II, it sure wether a green or black dial, love them both.

I never realized how expensive my wife’s President would become. LOL.
Oh my! Safe to say you’re on a roll buddy. But life’s short so yeah, just keep going.
Old 25 September 2018, 03:31 AM   #96
Mr.WorldTimer
"TRF" Member

I've always had some sort of watch on my wrist since I can remember. From a $20 ferrari watch to a cheap 34mm dress watch longine. My first 'proper' luxury mechanical watch was a 116710n. I just sort of lost my sanity a couple of months into owning that watch. The start of the most wonderful but unhealthiest addiction I've ever had in my life. Wouldn't change it for the world!
Mr.WorldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:04 AM   #97
ras47
"TRF" Member

While my grail watch was the BLRO GMT Master, it wasn't my first Rolex. I bought an early DSSD, black dial, and had instant buyer's remorse. I was seduced by the specs, but found I didn't like the overall dimensions. Put it aside for years and forgot about it, retreating to the familiarity of Omega Seamasters. When I finally screwed up the courage to take a chance on a 40mm watch, my 30+ year obsession Pepsi, I traded the DSSD for it straight up. Haven't looked back once!
Old 25 September 2018, 04:14 AM   #98
Pol1
"TRF" Member

Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:19 AM   #99
FTX I
"TRF" Member

This Longines around 1990.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (107.9 KB, 103 views)
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 07:58 AM   #100
Malibuboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMUUURF
After wearing a Breitling Aerospace for about 8 years, I bought a Panerai 176H in titanium and that is what upset the applecart. That time-only, with a sandwich dial absolutely floored me when I got it.

I wore that puppy with a custom distressed leather strap with contrasting green stitching and I got noticed everywhere. Everywhere, seriously! I used to get comments about my watch damn near every week.

My Smurf is my grail, and I shall not want (until the next one), but I do not get asked about my watch anymore. Probably just as well, but part of me misses the attention.
Malibuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 09:18 AM   #101
q8rolex
"TRF" Member

sub no date black 14060m
q8rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:28 AM   #102
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
James Bond's Submariner (Sean Connery, can you believe he's 88 years old now!), especially as shown in Goldfinger! I dreamed of this watch since I was a kid. Now you know the origins of my avatar. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 11:26 AM   #103
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
I seem to have been born with the affliction. I literally cannot remember not loving little machines on my wrist.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 11:31 AM   #104
wfreed22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
wfreed22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 11:33 AM   #105
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Swiss army field officers watch. Gifted to me ~25 years ago.
Old 25 September 2018, 11:34 AM   #106
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
This one. A pre-owned TT DJ

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 11:43 AM   #107
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
IWC 3706 Chronoflieger from 2000. Still have it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:32 PM   #108
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
When I was in high school in the 60's I saw one of these in a jewelry display case at Marshall Field's in Chicago. I knew nothing about the brand but I was just mesmerized by the style. Head and shoulders above everything else on display. I had to wait six years until I graduated from college to buy one in Switzerland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513 small.jpg (181.8 KB, 74 views)
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 01:00 PM   #109
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I had these colored Velcro watches back when I was a kid. I think I had 3or 4of them. I guess that was likely the start. Then in jr high school I won a raffle for a wittnaur which I loved. I then moved onto a tag around age 18 and it was downhill from there.

But I think those Velcro watches must have been the gateway...

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 01:00 PM   #110
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
This Tag Heuer was my very first expensive watch. At the time, I wanted the gold dial, but they only had the white dial. I had to settle, and learn never do that again. I really liked 2 tone watches when I was young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 01:02 PM   #111
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Presidential 💪🏼
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 01:52 PM   #112
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
my grandfather's day-date 18038 on a champagne dial, sadly, it got sold during difficult times.....
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 09:07 AM   #113
ajfcpajd
"TRF" Member

Like others, I was smitten with the Submariner after seeing an ad for one in National Geographic as a young teen. Fast forward - was given a 2 tone date as a college graduation present but it never resonated me. Spent the first year i had it trying to figure out how to make it look more like a sub. Fast forward 16 years - bought myself the sub in 2005 and wore it nearly nonstop until last June when my wife bought me the SD43 for my 50th birthday (I'm not sure why but she understands my watch obsession). Wear the sub occasionally - otherwise it's the SD43. I have other watches but I'm stuck on the Sub and SD43. I'm truly blessed.
ajfcpajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 09:10 AM   #114
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It was Panerai as a brand that started this passion for me. The strap changes, the bigness of the watch and the so-called Limited Edition with minute details like gold hands, sandwich dial, etc. make watch collection an interesting yet costly hobby.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 09:29 AM   #115
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Submariner. Avid Fleming Bond fan as a boy. In my teens a good friend of my fathers wore a 16803 which was the first Sub LB TT. That was the end all watch for me. Took a few years of saving but finally purchased the updated 16613 LB in 1987. Wear the modern version these days. The blue dial still makes me smile. If I had unlimited resources I could easily have a collection of Subs from all eras. By far my favorite model of all time.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 04:26 PM   #116
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nomos Club. 36mm, alpha movement. Beautiful watch, gave it to my brother as he loved it as well, so I still grab it and wear it from time to time. Looking at some watches in that size category now.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2018, 08:19 PM   #117
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelSubmarinerGuy View Post
For me, from the first time I saw it, I knew I was in love. It started this whole addiction to watches for me... The iconic Bluesy

Beauty

Sent from my HTC 2PXH3 using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote