The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which would you choose
Series 2 34 19.77%
5270 138 80.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 September 2016, 08:04 AM   #91
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Neither. Go for something more unique from a top-end independent. Once you've had a few Pateks, ALS, etc you research and find there are some very exciting independents with lovely complications. Break away from mainstream. You deserve more that what everyone else has. :)

Here are some ideas:
http://www.watchprosite.com/independents/16/0/#fs:1405
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 09:07 AM   #92
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Neither. Go for something more unique from a top-end independent. Once you've had a few Pateks, ALS, etc you research and find there are some very exciting independents with lovely complications. Break away from mainstream. You deserve more that what everyone else has. :)

Here are some ideas:
http://www.watchprosite.com/independents/16/0/#fs:1405

Haha Patek and ALS are mainstream? I'm all of 2016, I've only seen two Pateks in the wild.

For what it's worth, I know what you mean... Pateks and ALS are serially produced watches. Independents give you something unique that no one else has. Still... made me chuckle and no offense intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 09:08 AM   #93
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitzDoc View Post
The man said that he sold his 5270 Blue dial because the date got stuck. He then bought the same watch 5270 with a white dial. If the movement controls the date and the movements are the same won't he have the same problem with the white dial 5270?

It was a QC issue with the blue dial piece... not the entire movement on all watches.

Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 09:21 AM   #94
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Or explorer 1
Pictures don't lie Roger Smith loves the Explorer 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roger Smith Explorer.jpg (52.6 KB, 191 views)
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 10:20 AM   #95
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Finkalot, you're awesome and thx for understanding. We need to support more of the truly innovative creative types in the industry IMHO. Depending on the crowd you find yourself in, Pateks and others are just typical (Rolex are dime a dozen, ALS are 'nice'...) yet the guys who stand out are those breaking the 'rules'.

Again, thanks for understanding guys and my hopes are to see more support for independents who truly care and take great creativity in their work and not just a mainstream (relative) manufacturer. Sure my Rolexes, like the many Pateks before them, were fun and daily beaters, yet after a few decades my next truly fun pieces will be something very special.

PS of the two RWS would be my choice. Open dial please :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 September 2016, 11:42 AM   #96
997.2TTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph up/dn RG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
The Roger Smith is in another league, literally not comparable.

This is like when there is a poll between a Rolex and a PP and people choose the Rolex. Sure, pick what you like, but they are not on the same level at all.

Agreed

997.2TTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 01:24 PM   #97
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkalot View Post
It was a QC issue with the blue dial piece... not the entire movement on all watches.

Got it. Thanks.

LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 01:36 PM   #98
robertgrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Patek.
robertgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 01:40 PM   #99
Socal to az
Banned

What's the resale value on a roger smith?
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 07:16 PM   #100
PJ S
Banned

^
If you have to ask, you can't afford it!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2016, 10:52 PM   #101
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
What's the resale value on a roger smith?
Resale? Since you brought it up then a Rolex makes far more sense as you can get 30% to 35% discount if you're wise. So during resale you'll lose far less money on a Rolex than a Patek Philippe. Sure there are the odd money makers for both brands, yet overall a modern (mass produced) Patek versus Rolex i'll take the Rolex if you're asking about ease of flipping and lower % / money in loss.

Call around to dealers of both brands and tell them you have model ____ for sale and see what they offer. Then look at what you can buy each for in the market and compare for yourself.

Old 19 September 2016, 11:10 PM   #102
texex91
"TRF" Member

So Karl a lot of comments...what did you decide?
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 01:37 AM   #103
SearChart
TechXpert

I don't like the 5270, I would pick the Roger Smith.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 03:02 AM   #104
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
If you have to ask, you can't afford it!
Oh I can afford it. I just would rather not piss 40% of the value down the toilet.
Old 20 September 2016, 04:14 AM   #105
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Oh I can afford it. I just would rather not piss 40% of the value down the toilet.
Then wait for a used one to come into market. NEVER rush a small production watch purchase if you're seeking a 'value play'. i've waited years until a certain model became available at an attractive price. There a specific Roger Dubuis they made only 27 of that i'm still waiting for in the used market.

Same advice goes for exotic cars. Wait it out to find a deal / desperate seller / market to turn your way.

Old 20 September 2016, 07:25 AM   #106
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
None of these 2, but he clearly says in the thread which one he chose, it's more RWS style than Patek style, should make a great incoming
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 07:27 AM   #107
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
None of these 2, but he clearly says in the thread which one he chose, it's more RWS style than Patek style, should make a great incoming
Sorry--thread was too long for me to read...
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 07:53 AM   #108
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry--thread was too long for me to read...
Posts 76 and 79
Old 20 September 2016, 02:39 PM   #109
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Then wait for a used one to come into market. NEVER rush a small production watch purchase if you're seeking a 'value play'. i've waited years until a certain model became available at an attractive price. There a specific Roger Dubuis they made only 27 of that i'm still waiting for in the used market.

Same advice goes for exotic cars. Wait it out to find a deal / desperate seller / market to turn your way.
I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm not looking for a value play. I'm trying to point out there is. I used market for a roger smith as far as I can tell. I would buy a Patek any day of the week and twice on Sunday because the moment you pay for a roger smith, you lost 40%.

Now it's not all about the money and you should buy what you love but I have zero interest in a watch that will 1000% lose money and frankly looks plain and boring.

There are some Pateks that look plain and boring but atleast they are a Patek. They have some pedigree behind them.

But I do agree about your point about waiting for value. Never ever will I buy a brand new exotic. Almost picked up a Mclaren last year - it was 330k new. I was getting it for 225k with 1500 miles.
Old 20 September 2016, 06:32 PM   #110
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Kari Voutilainen...lots of reasons at the end of the day....I could start a thread with the first images and the journey....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 08:22 PM   #111
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
But I do agree about your point about waiting for value. Never ever will I buy a brand new exotic. Almost picked up a Mclaren last year - it was 330k new. I was getting it for 225k with 1500 miles.
Nice! Apologies for a bit OT here yet we've had plenty of watch talk ;)

Am on the second Bentley and (finally) have grown tired of it plus the VW Group is horrible and continually refuses to admit the various known $$$$ defects. My Porsche friends have also grown tired of the VW Groups problems. So have been looking at the typical, more sporty, alternatives. So far for the money the Jaguar F-Type R seems the best value used and she really is a fun driver's car. Ok, a Vette is great bang for buck, but that, ummmm, interior.... McLaren is nice and been down the Ferrari road for years (tracked her often).

Back OT, yes waiting it out and buying used from a motivated seller has benefits. Have a feeling in about six to nine months we're going to see something interesting in the market that leans towards desperate sellers seeking buyers. JMHO as RE is beginning to crack in multiple locations, art world is already downward...

Old 20 September 2016, 08:52 PM   #112
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Kari Voutilainen...lots of reasons at the end of the day....I could start a thread with the first images and the journey....
Same here, on the "unique watch" segment, he was the only one which was funky enough and in my possible price range, so now you know it, but many had guessed, it's Voutilainen
Old 5 October 2016, 05:00 AM   #113
hillcrestboy2002
"TRF" Member

Had the chance to meet both Kari Voutilainen and Roger Smith at last years Salon QP. Both very approachable guys and chatted with them both at length and got to handle some great pieces. Stupidly I didn't take any photos when I was with Roger but took a couple of shots when I was with Kari. The blue dial was unbelievable to look at. I much preferred it to the other piece. My first post here so hopefully the images upload correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 221.jpg (84.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 219.jpg (85.5 KB, 94 views)
hillcrestboy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 05:14 AM   #114
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcrestboy2002 View Post
Had the chance to meet both Kari Voutilainen and Roger Smith at last years Salon QP. Both very approachable guys and chatted with them both at length and got to handle some great pieces. Stupidly I didn't take any photos when I was with Roger but took a couple of shots when I was with Kari. The blue dial was unbelievable to look at. I much preferred it to the other piece. My first post here so hopefully the images upload correctly.
These are really somethin'
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:05 AM   #115
KarlS
Banned

He will be at SalonQP again this year
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 06:26 AM   #116
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great pics hillcrestboy, thanks for posting.

Old 5 October 2016, 06:40 AM   #117
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
That blue Patek is killer.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 07:46 AM   #118
hillcrestboy2002
"TRF" Member

I can't stress how friendly and approachable both guys were. Roger was not precious in any way about letting people handle the watches, which if memory serves were in the 200-300k range and Kari Voutilainen chatted at length about his design inspirations for his watches, the shapes of classic cars and such like, he even said I was welcome to visit his workshop at any time. How he will build you whatever you like. It was a real pleasure. Meant to post these photos a couple of weeks ago but was really prompted to do it today after the awful IMHO releases from Patek yesterday and how Patek stack up against the independents. I appreciate how you are maybe not comparing like with like but I was just so saddened by those releases yesterday.
hillcrestboy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 01:40 PM   #119
Dandoun
Banned

Watches are not an investment. Buy what you like.
Dandoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 10:13 PM   #120
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
He will be at SalonQP again this year
Voutilainen is also at Baselworld every year, usually busy talking with people coming from the Far East.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote