The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 January 2019, 02:20 AM   #61
stanc1
"TRF" Member

Incredible!
Sorry for this.
stanc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 03:10 AM   #62
Chunky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red, 116710
Good to hear that there was a happy ending!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 03:16 AM   #63
timedate
-

i cant believe people trade such items through the post,

i would rather not have it or sell it if post was the only option.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 10:24 AM   #64
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Is the owner going to give USPS the reward? :)

Glad to hear the story ended happily.
Old 24 January 2019, 11:59 AM   #65
WIN.308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
Is the owner going to give USPS the reward? :)
Not bloody likely. I’m still trying to decide whether I’m furious they lost it for 3 months or thankful they delivered it after losing it for 3 months. I’m hung up on the former for the time being but more than grateful it turned up.
WIN.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 12:08 PM   #66
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN.308 View Post
Not bloody likely. I’m still trying to decide whether I’m furious they lost it for 3 months or thankful they delivered it after losing it for 3 months. I’m hung up on the former for the time being but more than grateful it turned up.

I would certainly hope not. (It was a joke.)
Old 24 January 2019, 01:41 PM   #67
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

It is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma.

Glad you’re “whole” again - but the curious will want to know if you’re driving to pick it up later when it’s ready.

There are no guarantees in the shipping business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:07 PM   #68
WIN.308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
I would certainly hope not. (It was a joke.)
Never thought otherwise!
Old 24 January 2019, 02:11 PM   #69
WIN.308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma.

Glad you’re “whole” again - but the curious will want to know if you’re driving to pick it up later when it’s ready.

There are no guarantees in the shipping business.

I’m tempted to make that 7 hour drive, for sure, though a good guy on here offered to make sure it got to me when it’s been serviced.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:27 PM   #70
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

STOLEN IN TEXAS: 1978 GMT 1675, serial 5515833

Quote:
I’m tempted to make that 7 hour drive, for sure, though a good guy on here offered to make sure it got to me when it’s been serviced.

I’d take him up on that offer.

I can tell you from experience, while I was a package pitcher on graveyard shift while in College, (Mailhandler in P.O. parlance) that it is easy for 100 packages a day to get lost across the Country at sorting centers. Usually in the Outgoing SCF is where a package gets wedged under a float, or left in an unlabeled bag until someone is cleaning up.

How, you may ask?

My section in Miami was 3 times larger than that. During Christmas season (when yours prolly was shipping) I was pitching 300 an hour and during any night (12 hours) you can imagine the error rate.

So now the obvious reason for Registered Mail where all packages are signed off every step of the way.

BTW, UPS & FEDEX have newer, smarter centers 10 times that size but they also screw up due to human error.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:36 PM   #71
WIN.308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’d take him up on that offer.

I can tell you from experience, while I was a package pitcher on graveyard shift while in College, (Mailhandler in P.O. parlance) that it is easy for 100 packages a day to get lost across the Country at sorting centers. Usually in the Outgoing SCF is where a package gets wedged under a float, or left in an unlabeled bag until someone is cleaning up.

How, you may ask?

My section in Miami was 3 times larger than that. During Christmas season (when yours prolly was shipping) I was pitching 300 an hour and during any night (12 hours) you can imagine the error rate.

So now the obvious reason for Registered Mail where all packages are signed off every step of the way.

BTW, UPS & FEDEX have newer, smarter centers 10 times that size but they also screw up due to human error.

That’s pretty much the picture I had in my mind of the central mail facility where the package fell off the radar. Only worse since it was in Corpus Christi, TX!

What’s interesting is when the All-Mighty Glorious Postal Inspector finally returned my call after two weeks or so he admitted they really had no safeguards for theft, no cameras, etc. And at the time the only conclusion I could draw from the facts at hand was that it had been stolen by a USPS employee. As it turns out, I was mistaken and I have some regret for jumping to the only conclusion that made sense at the time. And I’ll most likely never know where the package resided for nearly three months, although after reading of your experience it’s starting to make sense. They sure didn’t make it a point of calling me to explain. Gotta love a federal beaucracy!
Old 28 January 2019, 06:32 AM   #72
ExPADIdiver
"TRF" Member

that is a crying shame.
ExPADIdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 06:00 PM   #73
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

We use to do the USPS mail shipping and receiving at Eastern Airlines from LAS while in school, the mail truck would come in drop off or pick up the mail in the baggage area underneath. The overnight signature mail was in bright orange bags. Not even locked up. One opened up and inside was a over night envelope that was open too and inside was 10,000 in freshly minted 100.00 bills. No one ever had to sign for pick up prior to loading the cargo or unloading from the plane. It was ridiculous how it was handled back then