The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 January 2019, 11:18 AM   #31
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone ever lose or drop a watch due to spring bar failure ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
It is just the one spring bar on the buckle I think.

The screwed in bars are factory standard so should be fixed with loctite currently.

Correct, the tang has one but that's not just going to come loose on its own. Guess some freak occurrence could happen but there isn't much of any load on that pin, unless you were to wear it REALLY tight. I wouldn't worry about it and if you are going to lose sleep, don't wear it when you dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:05 PM   #32
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
There was no problem with my earlier post, NONE the problem with your post was you couldn't harness your arrogance, you still can't, and you can't be respectful, you disagree, so say so, you don't get to say I'm incorrect, it's not up to you to decide, THANK GOD!!! your ignored
What a sad person. I feel bad for him.

Hopefully no one has any more catastrophic losses due to a failed spring bar. It's a harrowing feeling.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:04 PM   #33
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I think Peter might have lost a watch that way once upon a time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:10 PM   #34
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I think Peter might have lost a watch that way once upon a time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I do understand the concern, and not trying to exaggerate my point but I prefer to focus on the untold hundreds of thousands of watches that have NOT been lost.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:13 PM   #35
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
A NATO puts a lot more strain on the spring bars, which make chance of failing one of the two a lot higher, talking about a false sense of security
It does not put extra strain on the spring bar. The only difference is a bracelet can wedge itself sideways and not come as easy.
https://youtu.be/4m6ngyM8mCA
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:14 PM   #36
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
I do understand the concern, and not trying to exaggerate my point but I prefer to focus on the untold hundreds of thousands of watches that have NOT been lost.
I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that there had been a difference of opinion at the time I posted that.

It's just that Peter has related a story about how he lost a Sub in the Red Sea once and I thought I'd just make mention of that fact, as it's a part of forum lore by now.

Carry on.

Old 23 January 2019, 02:15 PM   #37
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I had a Seiko Turtle spring bar failure when i was pulling my hand away from a bee. The bee stung me right where the watch once was. After a few minutes i realized the watch was on the ground at my feet.
The best spring bars for the Turtle's are the 22mm x 2.5mm x 1.2mm ends with 2.8 ext. They work like a fixed bar.
Old 23 January 2019, 02:15 PM   #38
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that there had been a difference of opinion at the time I posted that.

It's just that Peter has related a story about how he lost a Sub in the Red Sea once and I thought I'd just make mention of that fact, as it's a part of forum lore by now.

Carry on.

Old 23 January 2019, 02:17 PM   #39
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldin View Post
I have often wondered if repeated removal of straps will in fact weaken a spring bar more then usual and so us WIS types will experience more frequent spring bar failures??
Yes, and if you have the wrong spring bar it will not fit the lug holes correctly and they will release.
Old 23 January 2019, 02:17 PM   #40
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

Carry on.
Yeah sorry, not my place to put you in between. I remember the story, but it had to do with a wench and body weight as I remember?
Old 23 January 2019, 02:24 PM   #41
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

I have heard all the rumors. Spring bars fail because natos put to much pressure on them and natos also pull the flanges on spring bars which make them fail. I have yet to reproduce this. Am I saying it does not happen? No. I think with certain key elements it will not happen.

The main element is using the correct spring bars that fit your lug holes. NO not all watches come directly from the manufacture with the correct size. Next, change your spring bars ever so many years. They do get strained and weaken. That is a fact.

On other issue is some people use their straps like a ratchet strap. It is not a ratchet strap. You should be able to put the tip of your pinky finger under your strap. If you can not do this then your watch is to tight or to top heavy for your strap.

Here is some proof showing I tried to make spring bars to fail.
https://youtu.be/7HR348Kka0s

Why the correct spring bars are important
https://youtu.be/nShuqq0KFuk
Old 23 January 2019, 02:26 PM   #42
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I have heard all the rumors. Spring bars fail because natos put to much pressure on them and natos also pull the flanges on spring bars which make them fail. I have yet to reproduce this. Am I saying it does not happen? No. I think with certain key elements it will not happen.

The main element is using the correct spring bars that fit your lug holes. NO not all watches come directly from the manufacture with the correct size. Next, change your spring bars ever so many years. They do get strained and weaken. That is a fact.

On other issue is some people use their straps like a ratchet strap. It is not a ratchet strap. You should be able to put the tip of your pinky finger under your strap. If you can not do this then your watch is to tight or to top heavy for your strap.

Excellent advice!
Old 23 January 2019, 08:18 PM   #43
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

https://youtu.be/7HR348Kka0s

Why the correct spring bars are important
https://youtu.be/nShuqq0KFuk
Nothing beats a destructive test
Old 23 January 2019, 09:21 PM   #44
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

Cool videos, though I'd fire you for your lack of safety sense with that wire wheel (yikes!). I've had bars pop on straps and NATO several times. Every time was a snag on something in the woods when the strap was saturated from rain or sweat. It's a pretty limited sample, but I wouldn't dive a watch on nylon for that reason.

In Peter's story, his bracelet broke loose in the Red Sea when someone was pulling him out of the sea, into the boat, by his watch. Hanging a grown man from his watch will probably break any strap or bracelet.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 09:32 PM   #45
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Yeah sorry, not my place to put you in between. I remember the story, but it had to do with a wench and body weight as I remember?
Big girl, was she?
Old 23 January 2019, 09:42 PM   #46
Doc Savage

Quote:
That is like saying we shouldn't concern ourselves with automobile safety, instead focusing on the millions of people who don't die in car crashes every day.

We all know these failures are relatively rare, but it happens. And when it does happen, the results can be catastrophic. That's why you shouldn't whitewash it.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 23 January 2019, 09:57 PM   #47
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
That is like saying we shouldn't concern ourselves with automobile safety, instead focusing on the millions of people who don't die in car crashes every day.

We all know these failures are relatively rare, but it happens. And when it does happen, the results can be catastrophic. That's why you shouldn't whitewash it.
Catastrophic? It's a watch slipping off your wrist not a building collapse with dozens dead.

Both you guys need to relax a little.
Old 24 January 2019, 01:29 AM   #48
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Catastrophic? It's a watch slipping off your wrist not a building collapse with dozens dead.

It's catastrophic relative to the watch, silly. Don't be so dramatic.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 24 January 2019, 02:31 AM   #49
wantonebad

Quote:

How dare you speak logically and with a level head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Big girl, was she?
typing faster then I was thinking story of my life LOL
Old 24 January 2019, 04:04 AM   #50
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool videos, though I'd fire you for your lack of safety sense with that wire wheel (yikes!). I've had bars pop on straps and NATO several times. Every time was a snag on something in the woods when the strap was saturated from rain or sweat. It's a pretty limited sample, but I wouldn't dive a watch on nylon for that reason.

In Peter's story, his bracelet broke loose in the Red Sea when someone was pulling him out of the sea, into the boat, by his watch. Hanging a grown man from his watch will probably break any strap or bracelet.
It is a brass wire wheel at low rpms the most it would do is rub my hand a little in the brief interaction I had with it.

Question what watch did you have the spring bars pop on?
Old 24 January 2019, 08:38 AM   #51
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
It's catastrophic relative to the watch, silly. Don't be so dramatic.
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

No wait, it's just my watch. It's not even catastrophic for the watch.

Quote:
It is a brass wire wheel at low rpms the most it would do is rub my hand a little in the brief interaction I had with it.

Question what watch did you have the spring bars pop on?
Several Seiko's.
Old 24 January 2019, 08:56 AM   #52
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I have never personally had an issue with spring bar failure or screw failures. I did have a buddy that i sold a BLNR to nearly lose it in Bandon dunes playing golf. A screw backed out of the bracelet and he said the watch fell right off his wrist into tall grass. As soon as he got back i took every pin out of the bracelet and put loctite in. He's an animal and super rough on everything he wears LOL. A week after i handed him the BLNR it looked like it had been through a small battle.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:19 AM   #53
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

No wait, it's just my watch. It's not even catastrophic for the watch.

Several Seiko's.
If you let me know the model number I will tell you the correct spring bars for them. And NO the Seiko Fat bars are not made for every Seiko.