The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Which watch do you prefer?
Glashuette Original Senator Cosmopolite 5 31.25%
Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle World Time 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 January 2019, 12:10 PM   #1
VFA
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Which is the better watch, the better WT in your opinion? Which one would you buy?

Assuming both watches cost the same. You can get it in any metal.

Which world timer do you think is the better watch? Has the better movement? The better finishing? What would you get? And why?

I think these two are the best world timers/dual time in the market bar none. They are the most accurate since they take into account the most number of timezones.

Do you agree? Or do you think there is a better world timer? Whats your favorite dual time?

1) Glashuette Original Senator Cosmopolite

https://www.glashuette-original.com/...89-02-01-04-30

2) Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle World Time

http://www.vacheron-constantin.com/e...000g-8982.html
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:13 PM   #2
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
None. Would buy a GMT model for travel if I really wanted one. If this was life or death... Would go for GO. Its finish is a step down from VC, but the dial is easier to read IMHO.
Old 17 January 2019, 12:47 PM   #3
themast
"TRF" Member

Tough one. I have a soft spot for GO and I think that the GO offers a bit more with the panorama date and the super clean dial.
However, I had the chance to try the VC a few years ago and the world map night/day indicator is quite cool.

Since I already have a Panomaticlunar I would probably go for the VC. But this is because I like variety.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:17 AM   #4
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
VC in platinum, better finish, better design IMO. It can track 37 timezones I believe
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 04:56 AM   #5
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Love VC as a brand. No experience with GO but wouldn't hesitate to buy one of moved to do so. Of these 2, GO, dial less busy. Beautiful either way, no wrong choice. Post pics when you get it......
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 05:55 AM   #6
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
All worldtimers have the problem of coping with daylight savings time, or summertime. For instance London is on BST and not GMT in the summer, you need to know the changeover dates to know that. The US have different dates when they change, in the states that do it. In Australia the dates are different too and of course they change the other way around.

Basically, it will never be all correct and hardly useful. It is not a problem that can be solved in a mechanical wrist watch. Note also that for instance in the US there is no fixed rule to when to change, it is decided every year.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:58 AM   #7
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
I prefer the VC. But readability is a big factor.

But I currently use a Frederique Constant manufacture worldtimer for my business travels and a Montblanc 1858 Geosphere for time off.

The FC is vastly more readable than the Geosphere though.

Any particular reason you don’t have a PP on your list? You could get second hand PPs for much under the price of a brand new VC.
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 08:59 AM   #8
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Which is the better watch, the better WT in your opinion? Which one would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
All worldtimers have the problem of coping with daylight savings time, or summertime. For instance London is on BST and not GMT in the summer, you need to know the changeover dates to know that. The US have different dates when they change, in the states that do it. In Australia the dates are different too and of course they change the other way around.

Basically, it will never be all correct and hardly useful. It is not a problem that can be solved in a mechanical wrist watch. Note also that for instance in the US there is no fixed rule to when to change, it is decided every year.

+1

Also, has anyone done a Perpetual Calendar Worldtimer yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2019, 10:06 AM   #9
VFA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
+1

Also, has anyone done a Perpetual Calendar Worldtimer yet?

Yes. Check out the audemars piguet metropolis and the GO grande cosmopolite tourbillon
VFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2019, 10:08 AM   #10
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFA View Post
Yes. Check out the audemars piguet metropolis and the GO grande cosmopolite tourbillon

Old 18 January 2019, 01:02 PM   #11
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post

The Glashütte Cosmopolite actually can show the time in DST. However it is not truly a world timer because it does not display the time all over the world at once. Moreover it still requires the user to know whether the city he/she is traveling to is under DST or not. However from this point of view only smart watches can cope with that.
For instance I have a Citizen that is radio controlled but I still need to account for DST.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote