The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2019, 09:17 AM   #1
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Rolex owners with Breitling in their collection

I’ve been a Rolex only guy since I started my watch journey a few years ago but lately I’ve been wanting to try other luxury brands. The Breitling Navitimer on a strap caught my eye recently and now I’m trying to gather some information.

Any Rolex owners here have the Navitimer? What is the price I should expect to pay for a SS model new/used? How is the quality and value when compared to Rolex? And lastly, I have pretty thin wrists (6.5”) so how will it look on me?

Or am I better off going with something like Omega speed master or IWC pilot?
Old 22 January 2019, 09:26 AM   #2
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

A Breitling Navitimer was the second watch I ever owned after my Submariner Date. I had a two tone, white dial Navitimer on a brown crocodile strap and deployant buckle. I wore it nearly everyday for 2-3 years when I was in the Navy. It's a great watch. I started to fall out of love with the brand as I started to collect more Rolex watches and as the image of Breitling took a hit with some of their oversized, over-polished offerings. I semi-regret selling my Navitimer because it was a good looking watch. Then again, I am not sure if I still owned it if it would make its way into my rotation. I will say that I think Breitling is righting the ship when it comes to the their lineup. Their models have generally been reduced in size and have more classic branding and look to them.

I currently own both an Omega Speedmaster and IWC Pilot Chronograph. Both are direct competitors to the Navitimer. Between the three, I'd have to tell you that the Speedmaster Professional is simply the best "bang for your buck" watch you can buy. It doesn't feel as robust as the Navitimer or Pilot Chronograph, but that's part of the charm.

The IWC Pilot Chrono and Navitimer are closer calls. I absolutely love the hands that IWC uses in their Pilot collection. This is coincidentally the biggest drawback for Breitling. The Navitimer hands appear a little short and sometimes get lost in the busy dial. The Pilot Chrono uses an ETA based movement whereas I believe all new Breitling Navitimers are in house (older ones are not). I don't consider this a drawback/advantage. The Navitimer will likely garner more compliments. It's flashier, more "busy." The IWC is more Spartan and functional.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

As far as pricing and size, I find the 42-43m Navitimers fit and feel good no matter the wrist size. Older Navitimers can be had for as low as $3,000 depending on when they were released. Newer models have MSRPs for $7-8,000. I am sure you could get a nice discount though at an AD. When I bought mine, I got almost 25% off and paid no tax for a brand new model at the time.

These are huge generalizations and I am not a Breitling expert, but I will try to give you a quick and easy guide to determining the age of the Navitimer. Very old models will look very old and have the AOPA or the Twin Jet logo on the dial (these are from the 60s). Models from the 90s and early 2000s will have the traditional Breitling anchor and wings on the dial itself. From roughly the 2010s onwards the Breitling logo will be an applied logo and the chrono seconds hand tends to be all red (I am not sure if this denotes the new B01 movement or not). The newest Navitimers have only the applied "B" logo on the dial.

There are huge exceptions to this, but it is a quick and easy way to snapshot in your mind roughly how old the Navitimer is since most of the dial has not changed.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Anthonyw
"TRF" Member

I don’t own a Breitling but considered the new 43mm Navitimer Unitime and must say it was quite nice when I tried it on. The lugs are curved downward which mitigates the lug to lug distance. The polished and brushes sides of the case are finished really nicely. The silver dial is great but the printing on the black dial isn’t completely opaque so looks cheap. I agree with ravager...I have a 6.75 inch wrist and it fits me really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anthonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:30 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I had a Super Ocean X-plus but ended up trading it into an AD towards my 116506. It was a bit large for my 6.5 in wrist. Here's an old photo. I was happy to get it and also happy when I sold it as it was just too large. I've always fancied the Navitimer but really think it would be too large for me. I also don't think it would get much wrist time. There is a Breitling subforum if you didn't realize it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:31 AM   #6
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Love my three and by far the Navitimer is the favorite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E1F94925-D1E1-4DCD-A9C6-D40086BC94B4.jpeg (110.4 KB, 715 views)
Old 22 January 2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have a Speedy and a pilot Chrono, my brother has a Navtimer, at a guess I’d say it was the 46mm version. I tried the Navtimer on this weekend. It is huge for my 7 3/4 wrist. The IWC is also pretty big and tall, but it is my favourite of the three. I think the Speedy would be the best bet for a 6 1/2 wrist. Got to admit that Navtimer is a beaut though.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:50 AM   #8
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
I have own Breitling Navitimer for many years (before owning Omega and Rolex). It's a beautiful Swiss watch with great build quality.
Old 22 January 2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Anthonyw
"TRF" Member

Definitely take a look at the Navitimer 8 line...they’re better proportioned and sized for smaller wrists
Old 22 January 2019, 11:06 AM   #10
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Mine from 1985
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2EF0CCE0-F987-4C37-A178-D4494AB25244.jpeg (262.8 KB, 661 views)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:22 AM   #11
nick c
Banned

I have the colt.

nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:24 AM   #12
Blaner
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 5513
I have a Transocean Chronograph on the mesh bracelet and get more compliments than I can count on the watch when I wear it.

I like my BLNR more :)
Blaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #13
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
I have a Navitimer World, which was my first Swiss watch. After purchasing an Explorer II (42mm), and then a LV sub, the Breitling gets minimal wrist time.

I just find it too big at this point for what I’m looking for, but it’s always nice to mix it up with here and there.
patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:22 PM   #14
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

I would recommend going more semi-vintage for a navitimer. I think there are quite a few versions in 40mm-42mm. I'd prefer it in 40mm myself.

I have a 40mm chronomat. I think the early 2000s breitling era produced some of their best pieces. Here's mine. I have both a bracelet and various straps for it. Nice way to change things up.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:52 PM   #15
Anthonyw
"TRF" Member

Forgot I have a pic of the Navitimer 8 Unitime !

Old 22 January 2019, 02:03 PM   #16
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
I’ve been a Rolex only guy since I started my watch journey a few years ago but lately I’ve been wanting to try other luxury brands. The Breitling Navitimer on a strap caught my eye recently and now I’m trying to gather some information.

Any Rolex owners here have the Navitimer? What is the price I should expect to pay for a SS model new/used? How is the quality and value when compared to Rolex? And lastly, I have pretty thin wrists (6.5”) so how will it look on me?

I'm that guy - PM me if you want. I'm a Rolex guy all the way but have owned several Breitling's along the way and currently have a Navitimer World that I really enjoy ( it also works with all my Panerai 24mm straps and I have a lot of them..) It's a good watch, trick is to get it at the right price, maybe even pre-owned. They do take a hit if you pay retail, which you shouldn't.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 02:06 PM   #17
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I have navi 43 on black leather ,Suoerocean heritage 44 with red gold bezel on ocean racer rubber strap and transoceanic chrono on brown croc and really like them but I also have a speedy.So I say get the navi and the speedy
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:48 PM   #18
edyu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I have the same wrist size. Maybe look at the Tudor black Bay Chrono which has breitling movement. :)
I think Breitlings are too big for us but if you love it don't let anyone stop you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:08 PM   #19
mjr24
Banned

Rolex owners with Breitling in their collection

Yep, owned several.

I had the 46mm Navitimer World (which was my original dip into Breitling). Loved it! Sold it after Basel back in like 2014 or 2015 when they introduced the Navitimer pandas (black dial) in 46 and 48mm. I bought the 48mm Navi GMT and have had that 3 years.

That being said, like others have said, they are big. I actually am selling my Navi GMT and am going to get the 46. They also make the Navi in 43mm and it’s too small for a chrono (much like the Daytona is too small for Rolex). Yes, the 43mm is bigger than most Rolexes but the Navi wears much smaller because it’s all dial. Plus, it has the white border on the outside, as well, which also contributes to it wearing smaller.

It’s a gorgeous watch....especially with a nice tan or brown or black strap. My Navitimer World was on the metal bracelet....but I feel Navi’s look better on leather. That is why I have that watch...it’s my leather strap look. The brown strap watch is the GMT, the black strap with the white dials is the 46mm Navitimer. Then there are a few other ones I’ve owned over the years....

mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:50 PM   #20
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
I had a Superocean Steelfish which I loved and deeply regret flipping, it is the epitome of the much discussed "beater" watch for some on here who think their beloved Rolex SS Sports will struggle to cope with its wearer cutting the grass or washing the car. If I could justify it would buy another one in a heartbeat. I also lusted after a Navi for years and bought a Navi World on steel which initially I loved despite its size. The honeymoon was short lived and we parted company. Agree with other comments the Navi does look better on leather. WHatever you decide wear in good health
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:59 PM   #21
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I have a Breitling Seawolf in steel, I love it. One of the most satisfying pieces in my collection, totally unpretentious but built like a tank and still impresses me after 6 year's ownership. It can definitely hold its own next to my SD43.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wolfie_1.jpg (229.1 KB, 440 views)
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:59 PM   #22
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Go vintage, they’re the right size.

lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:09 AM   #23
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
I'm pretty "meh" when it comes to Breitling. It's a step down from Rolex but if you like the look then go for it. I'll echo the sentiment to go for a vintage Navitimer.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 08:50 AM   #24
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the responses. I guess the next thing to do is to go to an AD and try them on. Those that posted pictures, thank you and beautiful watches!
Old 24 January 2019, 12:19 AM   #25
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

I have two rolexes and still have my Navi. It’s the older version and so it’s 41mm and a bit better for my small wrists-also 6.5 inches. There are those that will say breitling is a “step down” but that’s nonsense. However I would suggest getting a good condition preowned version as they do not hold their value nearly as good as Rolex. I’m not bothered by the older version not having an in-house movement as they never did. This in-house trend is just clever marketing to increase costs and yield very little if anything with regard to functional improvement. For what it’s worth, I have had two breitling and both kept excellent time and were tough. My bro has been mountain biking with his Navi-seriously.

My Navi is far and I mean far more ledigible that my Daytona and far more functional with a date and pushers that do not need to be unscrewed to use. However, I would take a hard look at the new iwc spitfire as it has come down in size but it s very different look.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 12:40 PM   #26
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

It is very common for people with Rolex collections to also have Navitimers, particularly vintage collectors. Here are some pics of my collection. The Navitimer/Cosmonaute is an 806 from 1967 with a Cosmonaute dial.

jjmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #27
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

One more pic of the 1675:

Old 28 January 2019, 12:52 PM   #28
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

One more group shot.

Old 28 January 2019, 01:14 PM   #29