The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 April 2018, 04:12 AM   #1
Touring
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Beyer Limited Edition 5205g vs 5205g-013

Other than the thin strip of lume on the hands of the 5205g-013, is there any difference between the limited edition blue-dial Beyer boutique release from a few years back?

Beyer Limited Ed:

5205g-013:

Just curious because the blue dials (which I like) look the same, and in my mind, this would take away from the exclusivity of the prior limited edition release. (=bad as a collector)
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 04:31 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I don’t think neither is collectible, so no effect. I would go with the new one if I have to pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 05:01 AM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Basel 2018 killed that beyer LE... too bad

Old 30 April 2018, 07:07 AM   #4
Touring
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
That's what I was thinking too. Brutal move by Patek for those collectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I don’t think neither is collectible, so no effect. I would go with the new one if I have to pick one.
Not anymore!

I'm hesitant to dive into an AC given the hit on residuals, but the 013 is a great looking version, second only to the black lacquer 5205r (which coincidentally I believe both of you are acquainted with )

Decisions, decisions....
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 07:25 AM   #5
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Skip the AC unless you can get 25-30% off and I am afraid if you choose to sell you will still lose. I realize this hobby is not all about value retention and we need to first and foremost enjoy the pieces but I see ACs as gateway drugs to other pieces like Chronos, PCs, and PCCs. I owned one and so did Thomas and Jorge and we all agree it is a complication worth skipping.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #6
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Skip the AC unless you can get 25-30% off and I am afraid if you choose to sell you will still lose. I realize this hobby is not all about value retention and we need to first and foremost enjoy the pieces but I see ACs as gateway drugs to other pieces like Chronos, PCs, and PCCs. I owned one and so did Thomas and Jorge and we all agree it is a complication worth skipping.
hmmmmm.....the 5235.......hmmmmmm skip or nor skip???? very unsure...
pam66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 08:09 AM   #7
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Too true. I just bought my first Patek, 5205G a few weeks ago and I’m already thinking of what to do with it once I get a 5270

Quote:
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 09:26 AM   #8
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
hmmmmm.....the 5235.......hmmmmmm skip or nor skip???? very unsure...
Buy a used one for 34K I loved the watch but then added a PC so let it go and took a bath on it (A $13,600 Bath to be exact and was lucky to get out just losing that)

Old 30 April 2018, 09:58 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity, why is a PC much more desirable than an AC... I understand the difference in complication but why does it make such a big difference to the avg PP fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 10:19 AM   #10
martinr
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with an AC in my opinion. Tastes change, two years ago this was considered a hot watch, now it’s all about the Nautilus, but if you like the 5205 or any other AC just buy it right if you think you might move it later. A perpetual calendar is great but the price for the least expensive is double an AC and really how many of those are “collectible”. DavidSW has the 5205R right now for $39,875 unworn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 10:30 AM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Out of curiosity, why is a PC much more desirable than an AC... I understand the difference in complication but why does it make such a big difference to the avg PP fan?

Mainly because they consider it a GC and obviously it has a long history. Even though Patek invented the AC it has only existed since 1996 and has always been branded as a less expensive alternative to a PC.

In practice of course it’s nonsense. Almost anyone with a lot of watches will rotate and their PC will need to be set.

With that said I think I agree with the idea that it’s a gateway to get someone to start buying complications. Ultimately if you’re into the hobby you’ll start looking towards PC or PCC.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 10:40 AM   #12
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I am certainly not trying to take a dump on ACs as I have been there and they are great watches just be sure to buy it right like anything else. Martin is correct in saying Nauts and Aquas are currently all the rage and right now it seems as if the dress watch is unfortunately dying. I am just a watch addict and found that we are never satisfied and always want more so my advice is to make sure it is a piece you really want because the current demand is pretty low. The current PCs in the catalog are readily available also with the exception of the 5320G so I am not necessarily saying those are good buys either.

Old 30 April 2018, 11:03 AM   #13
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

IMHO, Patek ACs offer a nice useful complication at a reasonable price range. I consider them to be pretty good "bang for the buck", especially when you look at 5711/1A and 5712/1A prices over $50K.

There is some logic in that if you are looking to purchase a PC or PCC later on, you should just skip the AC. However if you don't have specific plans to purchase a PC or PCC within the next couple of years and you like the AC, I feel you should get the watch you want and enjoy it now. With most watch you purchase, you are going to lose some on resale, but then if you are overly focused on resale value, you will only purchase SS sports watches.

Also for someone planning to make a future PCC purchase, you have to understand that a Patek PCC is a manual-wind watch and Patek ACs and PCs are self-winding. Most people will not wear a PCC as a daily wear watch, although there is no reason one couldn't. An AC is more practical as a daily wear watch if you want to wear it daily. PCs also get stored in the safe and don't get a lot of wrist time for most collectors as well.

Having said all this, I own ACs, PCs and a PCC. To me, the AC is a more practical watch and get a lot more wrist time compared to my PCs and PCC.

Going back to OP's questions, I haven't seen the Beyer 5205 or the new 5205 blue dial version in person. So it's hard to tell from photos how similar they are. But I suppose to non-Swiss and non-Europeans, a Beyer LE watch does not have a lot of significance. So I would recommend getting the watch that is more reasonable in price and accessibility.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 11:34 AM   #14
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring View Post
That's what I was thinking too. Brutal move by Patek for those collectors.

Not anymore!

I'm hesitant to dive into an AC given the hit on residuals, but the 013 is a great looking version, second only to the black lacquer 5205r (which coincidentally I believe both of you are acquainted with :chuckle

Decisions, decisions....

Yeah I owned a 5205R (black dial , 5146P, 5146G (white and grey) , 5960p (twice). All beautiful but with any of those even buying right you will lose more than you should of. The current market stir me away from them, Simply because 8k or so is something I am not willing to lose. The game is about information, if you love the watch enough to justify the money loss then you just decide to buy it enjoy it and cut your loses.

Albert Einstein
Old 30 April 2018, 11:49 AM   #15
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Double post

Albert Einstein
Old 30 April 2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Nothing wrong with an AC in my opinion. Tastes change, two years ago this was considered a hot watch, now it’s all about the Nautilus, but if you like the 5205 or any other AC just buy it right if you think you might move it later. A perpetual calendar is great but the price for the least expensive is double an AC and really how many of those are “collectible”. DavidSW has the 5205R right now for $39,875 unworn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is a phenomenal watch, one of my favorites. I only wish it wasn’t tapered from the base to the bezel.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 06:17 PM   #17
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Buy a used one for 34K I loved the watch but then added a PC so let it go and took a bath on it (A $13,600 Bath to be exact and was lucky to get out just losing that)
sorry to hear that...but anyway, i am looking for new with a good discount and it would be a long term keeper. btw, i don't see PCs to be more stable though.
Old 30 April 2018, 06:22 PM   #18
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
IMHO, Patek ACs offer a nice useful complication at a reasonable price range. I consider them to be pretty good "bang for the buck", especially when you look at 5711/1A and 5712/1A prices over $50K.

There is some logic in that if you are looking to purchase a PC or PCC later on, you should just skip the AC. However if you don't have specific plans to purchase a PC or PCC within the next couple of years and you like the AC, I feel you should get the watch you want and enjoy it now. With most watch you purchase, you are going to lose some on resale, but then if you are overly focused on resale value, you will only purchase SS sports watches.

Also for someone planning to make a future PCC purchase, you have to understand that a Patek PCC is a manual-wind watch and Patek ACs and PCs are self-winding. Most people will not wear a PCC as a daily wear watch, although there is no reason one couldn't. An AC is more practical as a daily wear watch if you want to wear it daily. PCs also get stored in the safe and don't get a lot of wrist time for most collectors as well.

Having said all this, I own ACs, PCs and a PCC. To me, the AC is a more practical watch and get a lot more wrist time compared to my PCs and PCC.

Going back to OP's questions, I haven't seen the Beyer 5205 or the new 5205 blue dial version in person. So it's hard to tell from photos how similar they are. But I suppose to non-Swiss and non-Europeans, a Beyer LE watch does not have a lot of significance. So I would recommend getting the watch that is more reasonable in price and accessibility.
insane the blue 5205G in the london salon on friday and it did nothing for me. actually i did not even bother to take a picture, but that is just me. if AC then 5235G.
Old 30 April 2018, 06:27 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
insane the blue 5205G in the london salon on friday and it did nothing for me. actually i did not even bother to take a picture, but that is just me. if AC then 5235G.
i said the same thing. It was not as nice as i thought. I like the 5205's in general too, just not that one. I had high hope from official pics.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 07:40 PM   #20
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I love my 5205R. It's very dressy but goes great with a suite or long sleeve shirt. I did get a good discount when I bought it so estimate if I sell it again, I will loose about 20 to 25% value max, which is not bad compared to other brands where right out of the door it can loose 50%.

It's no longer the "hot" Patek it once was and the rage now is all about Nautilus. But it's a very decent watch from PP.

Old 2 May 2018, 09:36 AM   #21
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

I like all 5205s. As others noted, the loss on all AC resale is huge these days so the best you can do if you like it is to keep it.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 11:00 AM   #22
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ WA View Post
I like all 5205s. As others noted, the loss on all AC resale is huge these days so the best you can do if you like it is to keep it.
Retail is $49k but most ADs I called gladly offered around $37k OTD. I see used ones going for $32k, doesn’t seem that bad of a hit, unless they’re not even selling at 32?
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 12:34 AM   #23
SW1
Banned

As a beyer is coming uo for auctiin $35-55 we wikk soon know the answer
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 04:40 AM   #24
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
bought at retail i suppose? maybe you should have kept it, possibly it will go up a lot in > 10 years, as a very unique patek.
Old 8 May 2018, 09:26 AM   #25
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
bought at retail i suppose? maybe you should have kept it, possibly it will go up a lot in > 10 years, as a very unique patek.
You are dying to take the plunge. Go for it my friend! The watch is very cool but like I said got lumped in with all the annual calendars and IMO will not be collectible down the road but what do I know. It was fun to wear and very versatile

Old 8 May 2018, 12:50 PM   #26
SW1
Banned

The blue is graduated like 5170P. If i was lookong for AC this would be essy choice
Old 8 May 2018, 04:38 PM   #27
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are dying to take the plunge. Go for it my friend!
::::)))) i am still oscillating between yes and no:::))
Old 20 May 2018, 03:50 PM   #28
SW1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post

It sold for CHF 110 000 which is more than the 5575G and 5131g
Old 25 May 2018, 05:30 AM   #29
thomaspp