The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 August 2022, 02:36 PM   #151
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I just stay at home with my Meta Quest and pretend I’m at an AD checking on my place on the virtual waiting list.
Old 10 August 2022, 02:53 PM   #152
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
I have been saying this for quite some time. People used to laugh when I’d tell them , “hey man be careful, you don’t want to make yourself a target”. Now it’s pretty evident that you will get jacked in these major cities. You’re basically wearing a hype item that everyone knows is worth money. Europe, especially France, London and Italy seems to be a hot bed for watch theft. I had a friend that wore an AP diver in Italy and someone literally ripped it off his wrist. This was years before the watch hype. Now it can only be 10 times worst.

To all the watch peeps on here, seriously stay safe and if you have to wear your watch, I get it. Maybe just wear it under your sleeve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great post!
Old 10 August 2022, 10:30 PM   #153
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by af_tt View Post
I think this boils down to you knowing your surroundings and the culture better in Europe. While an American typically will have better street smarts here but I definitely get what your saying. I am moving to Germany in a month from the midwest USA, I am genuinely curious how I will feel out on the town wearing a watch there as opposed to here.

To provide further clarification; Anyone is capable of sensing and avoiding sketchy situations but you’ll likely be better at it on your home turf where visual and audible cues likely come as second nature from years of exposure.

You'll be safe in Germany. Welcome!
Old 10 August 2022, 11:27 PM   #154
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Clearly no one should visit Alaska and FL has a higher number than NY...
What’s the dot, Baltimore? Why calling out just one city
Old 10 August 2022, 11:52 PM   #155
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

That’s Washington DC, but this is a terrible source of data.

He’s trying to assert that it’s safer in certain states based on this information, but you can’t draw that conclusion.. You can’t make judgements on a state by state basis.

You have to drill down to individual zip codes. For example, the Kensington section of Philly is a war zone. Literally no possible way is it safer there than Ponte Vedra, FL. But that’s exactly what he’s trying to say.

It’s a perfect example of how people manipulate data to advance an agenda.

Old 11 August 2022, 12:20 AM   #156
SpectralDodo49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
You WILL be a target and you WILL get robbed AND beaten. What a load of crap!
Yes, there is a small chance this may happen, but the gloom and doom is complete nonsense. Walk along Maximilianstrasse in Munich in summer (and any equivalent street in any big city), and you'll see half a dozen high-end watchute. All these people WILL get robbed AND beaten? Come on.
I have never seen such a bunch of fraidy cats in my life. What is the point of living if you are so afraid you can't enjoy life?

My watches are insured so I wear them everywhere. Went on vacay to Egypt a couple months ago and we ignored the warnings. We felt totally safe and wore our PP and ROLEXES everywhere without an issue and no one even commented on our watches.

I'm in my 70's and refuse to live in fear. Living in fear is not living, it is surviving.
Old 11 August 2022, 12:45 AM   #157
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralDodo49 View Post
I have never seen such a bunch of fraidy cats in my life. What is the point of living if you are so afraid you can't enjoy life?
There are times I agree with you and times I don’t. There is a mix of those seemingly afraid of their own shadow and those oblivious to potential danger and needless risk.

In my own time, I’ve worried over nothing as well as exposed myself to potential needless attention. Over time, I’ve been able to balance that out.

At the same time, trouble can find you anywhere. It found me in the most unlikely of places and the watch was not part of the equation. It all worked out, thankfully.

Old 11 August 2022, 01:14 AM   #158
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Those who think wearing a garbage replica like a Pagani or a Steinhardt keeps them safe are fools. Still want to fake flex lol.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
Old 11 August 2022, 01:46 AM   #159
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My watches are insured so I wear them everywhere. Went on vacay to Egypt a couple months ago and we ignored the warnings. We felt totally safe and wore our PP and ROLEXES everywhere without an issue and no one even commented on our watches.

I'm in my 70's and refuse to live in fear. Living in fear is not living, it is surviving.
Your watches are insured but do you want to be beaten or stabbed? Have you thought about this? If I travel abroad and a local tells me not not wear expensive watch I will listen to him. Not someone like you that got lucky lol
Old 11 August 2022, 04:47 AM   #160
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
As I’ve stated in numerous threads, I stopped taking any hyped watch to unfamiliar locations (vacation) about 5 years ago. My current selection here in Europe is a Panerai 111, Omega Speedy and a mont blanc watch. All off thieves radars.
Is the Speedy really off radar anymore? Chavs in London are queued up to get the MoonSwatch every time they restock.
Old 11 August 2022, 07:41 AM   #161
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

I’ve traveled to Greece many many times and I’ve never feared for being robbed except once across a footpath from across the acropolis, around 1am, no lighting, there where many immigrant minors playing on some rocks I had to walk past and they’d make their way closer to me as they were running around Besides that, never
The main thing to remember is to be aware of your surroundings. In Paris, on the Eiffel Tower, I spotted someone who I took for a pickpocket and I’m sure he was. He had been sizing me up but when I noticed him, I locked eyes with him and stood my back against a wall (to discourage any accomplices) and he then walked off in a nervous manner. He knew that he’d been made
Old 11 August 2022, 07:46 AM   #162
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I was going to say the same thing.
Old 11 August 2022, 08:03 AM   #163
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
Your watches are insured but do you want to be beaten or stabbed? Have you thought about this? If I travel abroad and a local tells me not not wear expensive watch I will listen to him. Not someone like you that got lucky lol
Well said.
Old 11 August 2022, 10:03 AM   #164
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
BCN does have two faces. It changes quite a bit at night in some areas. Have seen people get robbed from my hotel balcony at the Ramblas and lots of dealers and pickpockets all over. Have to admit, it was a very crappy hotel.
Once the stores close at 22:00 hrs and you walk in some of the alleys at the end of the Ramblas by the harbour I would not wear my Rolex with short sleeves if alone or just with with my wife.
Go to BCN once or twice a year and never felt unsafe myself. Last february I also got warned by the taxi driver, he told me there were a lot of street robberies.
Old 11 August 2022, 10:06 AM   #165
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
He probably didn’t venture out of the main tourist attractions within Cairo lol.

It’s easy for people to say it’s safe when they don’t leave the premises of their resorts/attractions.

Enough has been said in thread at this point. It’s up to each person to make their own decision and in line with their risk tolerance. I’m of the camp I travel for enjoyment and the last thing I want to worry about is a watch interfering with that.
Old 11 August 2022, 10:28 AM   #166
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You'd probably be safer wearing those watches in Cairo than other places.

When I was there years after the Arab Spring I recall armed soldiers everywhere on the streets. All the luxury hotels had armed guards examining your car for bombs, etc.
Old 11 August 2022, 10:38 AM   #167
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish01 View Post
In Paris, on the Eiffel Tower, I spotted someone who I took for a pickpocket and I’m sure he was. He had been sizing me up but when I noticed him, I locked eyes with him and stood my back against a wall (to discourage any accomplices) and he then walked off in a nervous manner. He knew that he’d been made
I had a similar experience, though I can't remember where I was. Europe somewhere. It was a busy sidewalk. I was waiting for my wife outside of a store (go figure). I saw this guy who didn't quite fit. he kept lingering around. Would walk through the area, back and forth. Tried to "look busy", if you know what I mean. Since I was waiting forever for my wife, he noticed that I noticed him, more than once. After he realized he had my undivided attention, he moved on.
Old 11 August 2022, 02:20 PM   #168
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
... he noticed that I noticed him, more than once. After he realized he had my undivided attention, he moved on.
On a one on one,that's sufficient,but it looks like groups of 3 or 4 these days ..and that's a problem.

What they cant see,they wont steal .
Visit in winter ...for your purse and cellphone's sake too.
Old 11 August 2022, 09:32 PM   #169
RKTINC1
"TRF" Member

Hate to be negative but the folks offering advice like cab drivers and bell hops have also been found to be the best ones to tip off thieves about a Rolex wearer in town. They look for new arrivals and inform the villains in their network. Its a sad world but trust no one.
Old 11 August 2022, 09:45 PM   #170
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post

Enough has been said in thread at this point. It’s up to each person to make their own decision and in line with their risk tolerance. I’m of the camp I travel for enjoyment and the last thing I want to worry about is a watch interfering with that.
Well said

Two lines of thinking in this thread and neither one right or wrong, it simply depends on the individual.

Part of the enjoyment of owning a watch for me is that I can wear it on vacation. To others, it’s a worry. To each their own
Old 11 August 2022, 11:19 PM   #171
BartM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
I'm from Europe and wear my Rolex daily and during travel (Netherlands, UK, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium etc.).
Europe is generally safe but the cities you mention are known for pickpockets and robberies. I bought one of my rolexes in Barcelona but would never wear one there. Same for Paris, do not wear a Rolex in the centre. Streets are full of pick pockets (mainly immigrants) these days. I will travel to Paris tonight and I will wear my Casio for this reason. Another European city where you should not wear your Rolex is Rome. I had a group of pick pockets steal my wallet in the metro (while I was wearing a Rolex). There was a queue of tourists at the police station...
Old 14 August 2022, 06:11 AM   #172
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
I'm pretty sure the chances of you getting into a car accident, or tripping and falling, or getting cancer, is more likely than getting your watch stolen. If you try to eliminate all risk, have fun sitting on your couch all day.
This is true but, what you're failing to mention is that it's much harder to eliminate the risk for a car accident, falling, or cancer. You can reduce the risk but not eliminate it. Regarding traveling with a Rolex, it's easy to eliminate the risk, just don't wear it. If it were that easy to eliminate cancer everyone would do it.
Old 14 August 2022, 06:41 AM   #173
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I was at Tyson Galleria in Noethern Va, outside Washington DC. Neiman Marcus, Rolex , Saks ,Gucci etc

Wa with my driver, who is ex military, and took him to lunch as we were doug lots of errands today

Well on way to car parked at the Neiman Marcus, there, as we crossed to got our Black SUV, at the stop there mercedes’ with two suspicious guys with sunglasses, and playing loud music looked at me … maybe looked at my Hermes sandals but my Rolex Sub YG under my jean shirt (great weather today here) so they don’t see that.

i can bet l that they are un the hunt. But with Mr A next to me , both 6 foot ( Mr A wear alwash a suit and looks like a secret service guy. They probably thought about it twice?

So yeah travel and see what you encounter, specially if showing your Rolex or similar
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 15 August 2022, 02:22 PM   #174
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
I did mallorca with my skydweller, just kept it in the BnB when in the capital palma. Did some cliff diving and cave exploring with it, was awesome!
Old 15 August 2022, 02:24 PM   #175
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
I like how “europe” is Barcelona LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911cv View Post
1. Arrived BCN, taxi driver noticed my watch and said do not wear it out in town
2. Arrived at my hotel in Barcelona, without prompting the bell man noticed my watch and said, do not wear it out in town
3. Watchless, I walked into the AD in Barcelona, spoke to the SA who said, do not wear your watch out in town
4. Arrived in Paris a few days later, the AD on Champs-Elysees said do not wear your watch out in town

I was wearing a BLNR on a Rubber B strap.
Old 15 August 2022, 06:08 PM   #176
Rolexken
"TRF" Member

Watch out if you’re wearing an Invicta never mind Rolex !

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...obber-24748067
Old 15 August 2022, 06:33 PM   #177
PhilippeD
"TRF" Member

I'm from the Netherlands, and wear my Rolex watches in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Only during the day though, not at night (when going out).

When I go to Paris, Barcelona, Rome, I leave them at home and wear my G-Shock.
Old 15 August 2022, 11:41 PM   #178
scharnke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Was just in BCN for a week, wore my RM, never felt unsafe nor ever at risk. I travel often to Europe and never had an issue, I feel more nervous wearing a watch here in LA.
i was at the Barcelona GP earlier this year wearing my 5167R.
We lived about 30min walk from the track, halfway there we got jumped by 5 guys.
Luckily i was so sweaty they couldt grab my watch. But is damn close.
Old 15 August 2022, 11:57 PM   #179
Wired
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB Pro
There is more Europe than Barcelona, Paris or Rome…
Old 16 August 2022, 12:12 AM   #180
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
There is more Europe than Barcelona, Paris or Rome…
This forum has a very high percentage of US users.

You are forgiven (US Gents)
Closed Thread