The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 August 2022, 03:18 PM   #121
Keldw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
If something does happen, it’s as likely in another country as it probably is in your own city
Going through this whole thread, this is probably one of the most accurate comments.

Every country, every city, will have places where risk is higher than others. Also in the US I would assume.

Also, European countries and cities is very very different from each other.

Believe it or not, but we (Europeans) are literally wearing our watches every day of the year. Be it Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Omega etc etc

Common sense and awareness will get you a long way, no matter where on the planet you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KW

https://www.instagram.com/rlx_dk/
Old 9 August 2022, 04:32 PM   #122
premium2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
I thought you were watchless?
He must have told the AD that he has BLNR but he was afraid of wearing to the store.
Old 9 August 2022, 04:33 PM   #123
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Freak View Post
Terrible advice.

Just because you got lucky nothing happened doesn’t mean it isn’t a hotspot for petty crime and pickpockets.
Totally agree.

It’s all about the moment. It’s a city that for decades been heaven for pickpocketers. It’s an art there.

Even if insured, you are exposing yourself and friends family to very unpleasant situation.

In all these major cities, they know you are a tourist, sheri sh or other.’; their favorite target.

I personally have seen people being picked pocketed it happened in Paris, Rome, Madrid, Firenze, Venezia. They love train stations, main tourist attractions sites.
Now they watch for Rolex, Chanel, Hermes, etc wearers… They have “graduated” and are in the hunt, watching for the perfect snatch…Summer perfect as you hot and few long sleeves.

But it’s your watch, your life and your risk.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 9 August 2022, 04:35 PM   #124
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RolexMan- View Post
Great post!
Agree!
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 9 August 2022, 10:45 PM   #125
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I think each of us has to "call it" as we see it, and it simply comes down to risk appetite. These watches are for wearing, no doubt, but if there is a concern then there is a simple alternative that gives peace of mind and that will do the job just as well as your Rolex, and all for 30/40 pounds, dollars or Euro.
Old 9 August 2022, 11:38 PM   #126
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Naive .
Criminals are much more aware,because they are hunting those that contribute to society in a positive way by working their asses off .(..and paying taxes.)
Very true
Old 9 August 2022, 11:38 PM   #127
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Freak View Post
Terrible advice.

Just because you got lucky nothing happened doesn’t mean it isn’t a hotspot for petty crime and pickpockets.
Exactly
Old 9 August 2022, 11:54 PM   #128
LC23
"TRF" Member

depends how you dress if you ask me... if you look out of place, watch or not you could still get a visit from the stick up kids
Old 10 August 2022, 12:48 AM   #129
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

It is all fairly simple. All countries mentioned are absolutely wonderful places and everyone should visit all of them if you have a chance. However, times have changed a bit with all the hype around watches. Criminals will try and take advantage of it. You need to be hyper aware. That is just a fact.

Could you visit hundreds of times and never be impacted, yep. Could you be impacted on your first visit, yep.

At the same time though, I would never let fear of my watch getting stolen stop me from visiting any of these places. When in doubt, leave the jewelry at home and enjoy the trip.
Old 10 August 2022, 12:49 AM   #130
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
It is all fairly simple. All countries mentioned are absolutely wonderful places and everyone should visit all of them if you have a chance. However, times have changed a bit with all the hype around watches. Criminals will try and take advantage of it. You need to be hyper aware. That is just a fact.

Could you visit hundreds of times and never be impacted, yep. Could you be impacted on your first visit, yep.

At the same time though, I would never let fear of my watch getting stolen stop me from visiting any of these places. When in doubt, leave the jewelry at home and enjoy the trip.
Very good comment. Agree 100%
Old 10 August 2022, 01:31 AM   #131
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I blame in on 'woke' California.
Old 10 August 2022, 01:43 AM   #132
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I blame in on 'woke' California.
..why they relocate to Texas ? Poor Texans .
Old 10 August 2022, 01:43 AM   #133
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldw View Post
Going through this whole thread, this is probably one of the most accurate comments.

Every country, every city, will have places where risk is higher than others. Also in the US I would assume.

Believe it or not, but we (Europeans) are literally wearing our watches every day of the year. Be it Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Omega etc etc

Common sense and awareness will get you a long way, no matter where on the planet you are.

I live and wear my watches by this guideline. Cities where I would not wear my watches are places I would not consider traveling in the first place. Barcelona is not one of those.
Old 10 August 2022, 01:48 AM   #134
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I live and wear my watches by this guideline. Cities where I would not wear my watches are places I would not consider traveling in the first place. Barcelona is not one of those.
Standing on top of Table Mountain,Cape Town makes wearing a Rolex or not, very irrelevant .
Magnificent experience .Have been up there a couple of times ,it remains a splendorous spectacle.

Traveling to some less safe destinations ,is worth it .
Just ask and listen to the locals .

Going to Ellispark(Emirates Park ) ,Johannesburg next Saturday for the Springbok vs All Blacks game ,very seedy and dangerous part of town .
If I park my car there ,there is a high chance of it being stolen and being mugged .
So what do locals do ? Park and ride .Park is a safe part of the city and traveling with buses to and from the stadium.
PS: Will be wearing one from the collection
Old 10 August 2022, 01:58 AM   #135
Heady Topper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911cv View Post
1. Arrived BCN, taxi driver noticed my watch and said do not wear it out in town
2. Arrived at my hotel in Barcelona, without prompting the bell man noticed my watch and said, do not wear it out in town
3. Watchless, I walked into the AD in Barcelona, spoke to the SA who said, do not wear your watch out in town
4. Arrived in Paris a few days later, the AD on Champs-Elysees said do not wear your watch out in town

I was wearing a BLNR on a Rubber B strap.
I'm surprised they even looked at you. Terrible, terrible customer experience there.
Old 10 August 2022, 02:41 AM   #136
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldw View Post

Exceptionally well said. If you want to live in fear, then don’t even bother buying a nice watch (or ring, or necklace or shoes) or wear them at home while you are locked in your closet. Use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and live life. Can it happen to you, even in a “safe” place? Of course, you could also get hit by lightning.
Old 10 August 2022, 02:47 AM   #137
MMG89
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Call me crazy, but watches are made to be worn.

I travel pretty often and always wear my sub or my BLNR. Is it possible I get mugged? Sure it is. But at the end of the day I like wearing my watches, and leaving them home defeats the purpose of owning said watch IMO. If the possibility of being mugged is a real concern of yours, don't wear any high end items ever.

Also a good relationship with an AD and replacement insurance will get you a new one in no time.
Old 10 August 2022, 02:56 AM   #138
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMG89 View Post

Also a good relationship with an AD and replacement insurance will get you a new one in no time.
Careful ,the robberies are getting more brutal .Stab wound chest and insurance on the Rolex becomes very unimportant .

Interesting,my wife ran a casualty department of a private hospital for many years .Frequently,MVA patients would return and ask if someone in casualty didnt perhaps put their watch in a safe place .
Its was stolen at the MVA scene from the patients arm ....Sad,but true.
Old 10 August 2022, 02:56 AM   #139
bp1000
"TRF" Member

London watch crime is a lot more sophisticated than petty pick pocketers.

Very briefly, you will find you have a machete to your throat, most likely approached from behind with masked thieves on mopeds, usually tipped off by street spotters and even waiters in tourist hot spots.

I've worn nice watches in London for years. Yesterday I was walking around the city and saw so many tourists with nice watches on. Some were even very in your face, YG watches.

It goes to show, thefts happen, but far far less than what we assume. The chances are being robbed are very small, relatively. But they increase dramatically in certain areas.

Stay in a tourist area with a nice watch and the chances increase. A pocket knife won't protect you.

I was wearing a patek 5270 around London yesterday and it was covered and never felt unsafe.

However I had to walk onto Oxford street (popular tourist street) and the atmosphere changes immediately. There are pockets of people stood on corners, you have to be aware of watchers and pick pockets almost immediately.

In Barcelona, they stand outside the station waiting for all the tourists.
Old 10 August 2022, 03:02 AM   #140
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
The chances are being robbed are very small, relatively. But they increase dramatically in certain areas.
Thats a take home message You are a local,you know the areas ...and you kept it covered .
Old 10 August 2022, 03:37 AM   #141
joa
"TRF" Member

there are hot spots i would avoid flaunting luxury watches (Naples, tourist area of Barcelona, ..)

but most of Europe is safe, for example i see almost no way of getting robbed for your watch in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Scandinavia etc. and i hope it stays that way
Old 10 August 2022, 11:26 AM   #142
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by joa View Post
there are hot spots i would avoid flaunting luxury watches (Naples, tourist area of Barcelona, ..)

but most of Europe is safe, for example i see almost no way of getting robbed for your watch in Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Scandinavia etc. and i hope it stays that way
I would never ever wear any of my Rolex watches out in the US and I've been going everywhere in Europe wearing a Rolex for the last 49 years.

This thread is heavily biased, US Gents, please look at your home town crime rate.

Yes, I'm an European.
Old 10 August 2022, 11:38 AM   #143
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Exceptionally well said. If you want to live in fear, then don’t even bother buying a nice watch (or ring, or necklace or shoes) or wear them at home while you are locked in your closet. Use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and live life. Can it happen to you, even in a “safe” place? Of course, you could also get hit by lightning.
This, +2.

Old 10 August 2022, 12:21 PM   #144
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
I have been saying this for quite some time. People used to laugh when I’d tell them , “hey man be careful, you don’t want to make yourself a target”. Now it’s pretty evident that you will get jacked in these major cities. You’re basically wearing a hype item that everyone knows is worth money. Europe, especially France, London and Italy seems to be a hot bed for watch theft. I had a friend that wore an AP diver in Italy and someone literally ripped it off his wrist. This was years before the watch hype. Now it can only be 10 times worst.

To all the watch peeps on here, seriously stay safe and if you have to wear your watch, I get it. Maybe just wear it under your sleeve

Old 10 August 2022, 12:54 PM   #145
af_tt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipão View Post
I would never ever wear any of my Rolex watches out in the US and I've been going everywhere in Europe wearing a Rolex for the last 49 years.

This thread is heavily biased, US Gents, please look at your home town crime rate.

Yes, I'm an European.

I think this boils down to you knowing your surroundings and the culture better in Europe. While an American typically will have better street smarts here but I definitely get what your saying. I am moving to Germany in a month from the midwest USA, I am genuinely curious how I will feel out on the town wearing a watch there as opposed to here.

To provide further clarification; Anyone is capable of sensing and avoiding sketchy situations but you’ll likely be better at it on your home turf where visual and audible cues likely come as second nature from years of exposure.

Old 10 August 2022, 01:17 PM   #146
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Traveling with your Rolex to Europe…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipão View Post

Yes, I'm an European.

99% of the USA is fine. It’s pretty much paradise where I live.

It’s a sensitive and controversial topic, but all the crime in the USA is heavily concentrated in a few large urban areas.

Old 10 August 2022, 01:40 PM   #147
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
99% of the USA is fine. It’s pretty much paradise where I live.

It’s a sensitive and controversial topic, but all the crime in the USA is heavily concentrated in a few large urban areas.

Clearly no one should visit Alaska and FL has a higher number than NY...
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
Old 10 August 2022, 01:41 PM   #148
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_tt View Post
... but you’ll likely be better at it on your home turf where visual and audible cues likely come as second nature from years of exposure.
100% true

When at home,we have eyes at the back of your head.
When abroad ,we walk around eyes wide shut.
Old 10 August 2022, 01:59 PM   #149
CaliBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
This is not strictly a Europe thing. https://www.sanfranciscopolice.org/n...bberies-22-094

Any time something gets massively hyped, the criminals will get interested. Some seem to argue that the proliferation of online luxury gray dealers has made the problem worse. https://robbreport.com/lifestyle/new...ng-1234660364/
Old 10 August 2022, 02:15 PM   #150
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Traveling with your Rolex to Europe…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Clearly no one should visit Alaska and FL has a higher number than NY...

This doesn’t tell the full story.

You need to dive deeper into where the crimes in these states are actually committed.

I’ll use PA as an example. Clearly Philadelphia and specific zip codes within Philadelphia are an absolute war zone when compared to Western Chester County and just about anywhere else in the state. Fact is, Philadelphia greatly distorts the data for the rest of PA. If you take away Philadelphia, then PA is basically paradise.

You could apply that same principle in every state.

In FL, St John’s County has a crime rate 95% less than the rest of the state and 83% less than the rest of the country.

The data your presenting is interesting but I’d be more impressed if it were narrowed to specific regions within these states. Otherwise, it’s just a bunch of worthless BS.

Closed Thread