The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2022, 12:59 AM   #61
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
The amount of people buying the SD43 for its intended purpose as a tool is practically nil. It all comes down to aesthetics, the overwhelming vast majority of us wear them as jewelry; let's call a spade a spade. I love wrist presence, and I do not think it is a disadvantage. I do not think 43mm is overly big -- as long as the lugs do not hang past the wrist -- which they do not on mine. It is only the thickness I find strange.

I may just go for an Omega SMP, a 42mm size but the thickness is not nearly as bad.

Actually a recent study (forget where one of the watch publications) found most still wear watches them to tell time. However I agree aesthetics are a primary motivator. That said, wrist presence is nice in some settings, but a large heavy watch flopping around when being more physically active perhaps not. Wrist presence is also getting folks noticed a lot too, and that’s not working out for some who are being targeted for their watch. I mean let’s face it, the SD is a great watch, but it’s not terribly versatile due to the bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 01:12 AM   #62
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
If it is all about aesthetics, would you be ok with a Rolex version of a Panerai Due? Where it looks like, say, a Submariner Date or a SD43, but it has a SnapBack (instead of a screwed-in back). It would be thin, have a WR of (say) 30m, but look like a flatter Submariner Date.

If it is just Jewerly, would you buy such a watch?

If so, great.

If not, then that’s why people who don’t even dive - and even those like me who do but have never gone lower than 40m - are really happy to own Jewerly that can go 300m.
Much like all things in life I think there is a middle ground for optimal results. A snap-back is just disrespectful in the luxury market. But I would surely prefer a screwed in caseback with a lower WR for the aesthetics, yes.
interestedinwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 01:13 AM   #63
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Actually a recent study (forget where one of the watch publications) found most still wear watches them to tell time. However I agree aesthetics are a primary motivator. That said, wrist presence is nice in some settings, but a large heavy watch flopping around when being more physically active perhaps not. Wrist presence is also getting folks noticed a lot too, and that’s not working out for some who are being targeted for their watch. I mean let’s face it, the SD is a great watch, but it’s not terribly versatile due to the bulk.

If time telling was all that mattered, luxury watches would not be a thing. Everyone would be wearing casios. So surely there is more to it than that.

I do agree that the SD43 is not a one all be all watch. It is complementary in a collection.
interestedinwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 01:48 AM   #64
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
If time telling was all that mattered, luxury watches would not be a thing. Everyone would be wearing casios. So surely there is more to it than that.

I do agree that the SD43 is not a one all be all watch. It is complementary in a collection.

Maybe. I can’t speak for others but I recall going with my parents to the mall and looking at the citizens, seikos, and Rolex (yes widely available In malls back in the day) and became interested in Rolex well before I was able to appreciate the cost and the luxury side and how much they cost. Sadly as I got older I realized how much this hobby is going to cost me! Lol.

For me personally, I don’t like Rolex because it’s a luxury item, in fact the excessive hype is making me wear it less and less and stick with my seiko H558. The hype and luxury aspect is quite uncomfortable, and have not really reconciled that yet.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 02:42 AM   #65
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
This.

With very few exceptions, most people who own the SD family may never dive to the full capability of the watch, but they love knowing that it CAN go that deep. It is basically an over-engineered Submariner Date.

If Rolex diluted depth rating for the purposes of aesthetics it would be a grand mistake.

Only the Panerai Brooklyn Bridge would be a bigger mistake (where Panerai gave it the cheapest ETA movement available and called it a special edition). That would be worse, with the SD43 ‘castration for the purposes of beauty’ probably being the same level as the Panerai Due (where they reduced the depth rating and gave it a SnapBack).

The SD43 is perfect as it is for those of us with a flat wrist.
Agreed. Owning multiple SD's and maybe one otw I'll never use it for its intended purpose, well what it was designed for, but it is nice knowing that I have a watch that can do some crazy depths. But then again so will a Sub.
Old 12 August 2022, 03:12 AM   #66
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Driver8 post #44 has mentioned this. Thickness on a dive watch seems to be driven by the depth rating. The Sea Dweller evolved as the deeper divers had the crystals pop out of the Submariners. I do own the SD 43 and I think it is an awesome watch and I wanted it over the SUB because of the 43 mm size. The vintage 16660 form the 1980 era was 40mm and 14.8 or basically 15 mm thick. So the current SD at 43 mm probably improves the aesthetic of the watch since it remains 15.1 mm.
Old 12 August 2022, 04:37 AM   #67
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I let mine go because of the heft.

7.5" wrist. 6'1" 230 LB muscular build.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:31 AM   #68
chris_1001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub & SD 43
I bought my SD43 as I wanted something a bit bigger than my current Sub. I kinda light the heft, but if it was a tad thinner it would be good. Sub feels super light after wearing the SD.
chris_1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:58 AM   #69
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
I let mine go because of the heft.

7.5" wrist. 6'1" 230 LB muscular build.
lol.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:27 AM   #70
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
lol.
Was thinking the same. Sorry OP

I love a heavy watch on the wrist. Guess thats why I wear full PM most of the time. I'd imagine in the case of weight/grams when it comes to SS the Deep Sea is first, then the SD43, and after that I have no idea.

Oh never mind I own one

SkyD. 326934 weighs around 175 depending on links of course

So thats Deep Sea, SD43, and Sky-D. Whats 4th?
Old 12 August 2022, 07:27 AM   #71
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Funny you mention this

I just was talking to another member here on TRF and he also compared it to the EXPII. I was asking because I’m also considering a SD43 and him and I both own a EXPII, PM SkyD, etc

I was asking what does it compare to? He mentioned EXPII

May just have to get a SD43 and find out. Caseback wise I’ve owned/own a 116600 and 16600. Can’t be that different right? Or can it..

I’ve had differing opinions from 2 members here but both said the SD43 is a great watch

You might be surprised, I know I was!

I owned the SD43 for about a year and ended up moving it on because of the issues I had with the caseback and my wrist. Granted it’s only been a couple of months since I picked up a 116600 but it seems to fit my wrist a lot better and I haven’t noticed the caseback bothering me on the SD4K.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:55 AM   #72
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
SD43 seems to be rather polarizing. I'll bet it's the easiest SS model to obtain via an AD and even through Grey it's not much above MSRP.
- The perfect watch for some (could be 1-watch 'collection' for me)
- Too heavy/fat/uncomfortable for the rest

Even the OG SD was never very popular compared to the Sub. Oh well
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:17 AM   #73
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
I have the SD43. To me it would be perfect If it was as thin as a sub. But I could Also daily it if needed. I can see both sides of the argument.

To me the sub41 is perfect. If they made a sub43 that would be the amazing. But they won’t.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:20 AM   #74
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post

I owned the SD43 for about a year and ended up moving it on because of the issues I had with the caseback and my wrist. Granted it’s only been a couple of months since I picked up a 116600 but it seems to fit my wrist a lot better and I haven’t noticed the caseback bothering me on the SD4K.

Without a doubt, the SD43 is a great watch.

I also had issues with getting a good fit so I moved it on. It was a real pity.

Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:22 AM   #75
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goheel View Post
The cyclop killed it for me. Not a true SD with the cyclop.
Isn’t this up to Rolex? If they put the Sea Dweller name on it then it is a true Sea Dweller.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:30 AM   #76
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
SD43 seems to be rather polarizing. I'll bet it's the easiest SS model to obtain via an AD and even through Grey it's not much above MSRP.
- The perfect watch for some (could be 1-watch 'collection' for me)
- Too heavy/fat/uncomfortable for the rest

Even the OG SD was never very popular compared to the Sub. Oh well
Not that easy. Been waiting 20 months now...and I have purchase history.
swexlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:06 AM   #77
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
It's not the heft, it's the height. And the pokey conical case back.
Old 12 August 2022, 09:11 AM   #78
wb55
"TRF" Member

The SD43 isn't thick but the caseback is.

I rarely wear mine purely due to the reflection on the dial. If it had the same AR as the Sub41 could be a different story.

I have a Sub41 and wear that 10x more. My most worn watch by miles.
wb55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:15 AM   #79
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
The SD43 has been my daily driver for about 18 months now. It's absolutely beautiful and very capable. I've learned that removing the diver extension is a must for more comfort as is using the micro adjustments on the glidelock depending on the weather conditions as one's wrist swells up with high humidity etc.

It's a great watch which 99.9% of us will never come close to it's intended capabilities but knowing I have a tool watch built like a tank and never have to worry about where and what I put it through is of great comfort.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:22 AM   #80
NCD1979

I’ve always been a fan of the SD. I wanted something smaller than a DSSD but with more heft than a sub - this fills that gap perfectly. It probably isn’t the best “one and only” if you frequently find yourself in business attire but it certainly aligns well to my lifestyle. One of many great options in the Rolex lineup IMHO.
NCD1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 10:01 AM   #81
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
Not that easy. Been waiting 20 months now...and I have purchase history.
SD43 is the only SS model I've actually be offered. And just last week I was offered the TT version (didn't ask.)

Grey prices for it are pretty good. $13.xk right here on TRF and MSRP is at $13k (plus tax)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 10:42 AM   #82
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post

I’ve read that the SDK and SD43 are the same thickness. So I’m thinking unless they shaved the case and added to the caseback on the SD43 from the SDK can it be that much different?

I’ve never had one issue with my 16600 or 116600 on the wrist. SD43? Don’t know “yet” but maybe you’re right and I’m in for a surprise.
Old 12 August 2022, 11:20 AM   #83
mimariani
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
This may be silly, but can you replace the case back with a flatter one? you’ll probably lose depth performance, or may be blocked by the movement itself….just curious.
Date Just 41 - 126334
Sub - 14060m 2 liner
Tudor S&G
mimariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 11:30 AM   #84
DJFanUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Horses for courses as they say..... I always wanted the new 41mm sub until I tried on an exhibition SD43 and it blew me mind. Much better fit in my 7.25 wrist. Perfect weekend watch while I wear my BB58 with smart casual clothes during the working week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220408_132205_copy_931x877.jpg (242.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 12 August 2022, 12:21 PM   #85
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
The same people making the same comments about the SD43 pop up on this forum quite often . I’ve had mine for 4+ years , the second my AD sized my watch I was enamored with the watch . I have commented on many threads , with mostly negative comments . When it was released it was much larger , had the cyclops and a controversial case back . I love my misunderstood Black Sheep , I have a few Rolex and other makes and it’s my number one go to . I often think of becoming one of those weird one watch people , but I just can’t do it . Yet .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:50 PM   #86
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
More than once, I've thought of liquidating my collection and keeping just one watch: the SD43. Aaah, those days with just one watch to pick in the morning, no need to decide, just grab and go.

Then I wake up and realise it was all a bad dream, muhahahahahah! The more the merrier.
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:28 PM   #87
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
SD43 is the most beautiful Rolex diver in production today.
I prefer only the SD 16600 to him
Old 12 August 2022, 08:53 PM   #88
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
If your used to wearing a sub then it will feel bigger and thicker. You do get used to it.....I had a Deepsea and that was way to thick for me. This is an in between watch in the sub and deepsea. Perfect
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 02:14 AM   #89
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I picked up a 126603 TT Seadweller in Jan 2021 and it quickly became my favourite watch, it even turned me off my daily which was a Sub 114060…. Something I never thought would happen. However it is something I managed to put right by picking up a 126600 a few weeks ago.
I now have the SD43 stainless steel as my new daily and the TT as the weekend piece.

I will also add the extra width of the bracelet also turned me off my 116660 JC Deepsea, the 114060 and the JC have been moved on.
Omega Seamaster 300

Last edited by Steve36Efc; 13 August 2022 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: Addition
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 03:02 AM   #90
LC23
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you need to try DSSD and appreciate your SD43 lol
LC23 is offline   Reply With Quote