The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2022, 04:26 AM   #1
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Robbery related: is the explorer truly stealth-invisible?

With watch robbery and muggings on the rise, I’m sure we’re all hyper vigilant when out and about. I certainly am.

It’s often mentioned that the explorer is a below the radar’ watch, just looks like a generic watch, isn’t obviously a Rolex etc etc. But, is that really true? Do you think the oyster bracelet makes it obvious from a distance? Or does it’s diminutive size of 36mm mean that it’s so discrete, no thief/ spotter would notice?

Would welcome all thoughts!
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:32 AM   #2
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
IMHO, not true at all. All Rolex have an oyster case and most have an oyster bracelet. Besides the cyclops, oyster design is the second most recognized feature, screams Rolex. However, many on this board think know one notices watches so who knows.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:33 AM   #3
pursang_
"TRF" Member

I think so. It's fully brushed and it lacks a cyclops eye.
pursang_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:35 AM   #4
davek35
"TRF" Member

The 'shimmer' of the bracelet sure is there, but I think the big bezel and cyclops is more of what they look an for easy sell.

But I share your thoughts. Looking forward to other thoughts.
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:36 AM   #5
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

My neighbor didn't even realize I was wearing a Rolex when he started asking me about Rolex watches a few months ago. I think the smaller size of the Explorer was the main reason.

That being said, if I were a thief, I'd notice a Rolex from 30 yards, so probably just depends how good the thief is.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:48 AM   #6
warrior
"TRF" Member

The thing is you’re on TRF and presumably a watch enthusiast. The only people that are going to realize that a 36mm Rolex Explorer with no cyclops is a Rolex …are people here
( or those like the people here) and perhaps studious watch thieves. Minuscule percent of the population.

There are some exceptions I presume ( in that some here hang in wealthy areas with like minded people and check out each others watches/ apparel a lot and know all the name brands) but for the most part, watch enthusiasts over estimate peoples’ abilities and interests such that they think people are like them. We’re in a bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
My neighbor didn't even realize I was wearing a Rolex when he started asking me about Rolex watches a few months ago. I think the smaller size of the Explorer was the main reason.

That being said, if I were a thief, I'd notice a Rolex from 30 yards, so probably just depends how good the thief is.

Last edited by warrior; 12 August 2022 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Additional comment
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:56 AM   #7
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I often wear my 214270 on a grey Everest strap with Rolex clasp installed. In my opinion that's as under the radar as a Rolex can get. But on the bracelet, as others have mentioned, it's a giveaway, regardless of the watch head.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:00 AM   #8
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
If thieves want a $20 casio, they will take it. Nobody is immune to random theft
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:01 AM   #9
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
IMHO, not true at all. All Rolex have an oyster case and most have an oyster bracelet. Besides the cyclops, oyster design is the second most recognized feature, screams Rolex. However, many on this board think know one notices watches so who knows.
Agree, the reality is someone somewhere will get their watch stolen today so someone notices. The social media and hype, and widely available tutorials online make for more people seeing them even by accident.

I think from a distance obviously the 4/5 digits are a bit harder to spot followed by milguass, new explorer I and II models, etc.. and the larger lug, ceramic versions easier to spot ut the case lines, bracelet and cyclops are dead give aways regardless of the era of the watch.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:01 AM   #10
warrior
"TRF" Member

The bracelet? Perhaps for watch enthusiasts and REALLY REALLY on the ball Rolex owners, who aren’t enthusiasts, and perhaps an exceptionally astute thief….minuscule percentage of the population IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I often wear my 214270 on a grey Everest strap with Rolex clasp installed. In my opinion that's as under the radar as a Rolex can get. But on the bracelet, as others have mentioned, it's a giveaway, regardless of the watch head.
Old 12 August 2022, 05:11 AM   #11
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
If thieves want a $20 casio, they will take it. Nobody is immune to random theft
Exactly. I was robbed once of my MP3 player that retailed for $60
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:13 AM   #12
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I think to a non watch person, the oyster bracelet is not all that distinctive or iconic. Most people will not know it’s a Rolex.
That being said, if it’s my “job” to steal Rolex watches, you can bet I’m going to know what an Explorer looks like.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:13 AM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Do the million people wearing fake subs or fake DD worry about robberies??? Just curious? What do you guys think????
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:16 AM   #14
warrior
"TRF" Member

Bingo. If it’s A JOB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I think to a non watch person, the oyster bracelet is not all that distinctive or iconic. Most people will not know it’s a Rolex.
That being said, if it’s my “job” to steal Rolex watches, you can bet I’m going to know what an Explorer looks like.
Old 12 August 2022, 05:24 AM   #15
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Anything shinny on your wrist can attract attention.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:28 AM   #16
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
If you think about a red car you’ll see a red car.
Not everyone is thinking of a red car, but those who are will always notice every shade of red car
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:32 AM   #17
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Interesting and wide range of views! Thanks for the ongoing replies.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:32 AM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

To stay below the radar keep it covered by a sleeve, stay situationally aware and if in doubt don't wear it. Above all, get it insured. Then enjoy your life.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:37 AM   #19
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
The bracelet? Perhaps for watch enthusiasts and REALLY REALLY on the ball Rolex owners, who aren’t enthusiasts, and perhaps an exceptionally astute thief….minuscule percentage of the population IMO
The OP was asking about how recognizable an Explorer is to a determined thief who I presumed was looking to specifically steal a Rolex. The Rolex oyster bracelets are easy to spot from a distance, or the bezel and cyclops if they are looking from the correct angles.

All moot point for me personally. All my pieces are insured and the ones I'd wear out and about can be replaced pretty easily. I wear mine on rubber during the summer for comfort and on the bracelet in the cooler months for the aesthetics. But in the event I don't want to draw attention a nondescript black face watch on a rubber strap is a pretty good compromise
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:40 AM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Thugs rob anybody if they need a few bucks and think they can get away with it.
Old 12 August 2022, 05:43 AM   #21
warrior
"TRF" Member

Got it For a determined thief, sure anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
The OP was asking about how recognizable an Explorer is to a determined thief who I presumed was looking to specifically steal a Rolex. The Rolex oyster bracelets are easy to spot from a distance, or the bezel and cyclops if they are looking from the correct angles.

All moot point for me personally. All my pieces are insured and the ones I'd wear out and about can be replaced pretty easily. I wear mine on rubber during the summer for comfort and on the bracelet in the cooler months for the aesthetics. But in the event I don't want to draw attention a nondescript black face watch on a rubber strap is a pretty good compromise
Old 12 August 2022, 06:00 AM   #22
emtee
"TRF" Member

You guys are kidding yourselves. I own an Explorer and can spot someone else wearing one and pretty much any other Rolex model from the other side of a big room. My Mrs has an even keener eye than me and she’s only a 1/4 of the watch nerd that I am. If we can do it for fun you can bet your Rolex a thief can do it too.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:18 AM   #23
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Most watch thieves know exactly what they are looking for. Nothing is "under the radar" unless its completely under a long sleeve and it isn't visible.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:24 AM   #24
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
To stay below the radar keep it covered by a sleeve, stay situationally aware and if in doubt don't wear it. Above all, get it insured. Then enjoy your life.
Exactly - spot on
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:43 AM   #25
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
The thief will rob you for anything they think they can take from you.
Old 12 August 2022, 07:27 AM   #26
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you're better dressed or broadcast tourist, you are easy game for whatever you may have wherever you are. "Situational Awareness" just gives you a fractional sooner heads up that things are not going well.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:35 AM   #27
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I wear my 36mm Explorer when I travel but you guys do you.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:41 AM   #28
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
The thing is you’re on TRF and presumably a watch enthusiast. The only people that are going to realize that a 36mm Rolex Explorer with no cyclops is a Rolex …are people here
( or those like the people here) and perhaps studious watch thieves. Minuscule percent of the population.

There are some exceptions I presume ( in that some here hang in wealthy areas with like minded people and check out each others watches/ apparel a lot and know all the name brands) but for the most part, watch enthusiasts over estimate peoples’ abilities and interests such that they think people are like them. We’re in a bubble.
Yeah, but I'd imagine that the more planned robberies that we've been seeing do have some studious thieves. I'd bet most thieves would think a Richard Mille was a mall watch, if they haven't done their homework.

Either way, I just wear my 114270 Explorer and don't worry about it much. Most people around me don't seem to realize it's a Rolex.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:28 AM   #29
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

From the mind of a WIS trying to enter the mind of a thief.. I think one major drawback to this line of thinking is that few people wear fake/replica/homage Explorer Is. Why bother wearing a fake of a watch when most people don't even recognize the real one as a Rolex? As such, if I'm a thief and I see one on someone's wrist, I'd go for it because it's an easy $6-10k watch that is also unlikely to be a fake.

OTOH, the Explorer definitely is under the radar. I've had people with actual Rolexes on their wrists asking me what kind of watch I was wearing. I think people here are making too much of a deal about the Oyster case/bracelet. That design is so ubiquitous now that I don't think people just automatically assume Rolex.

I'd probably consider wearing one on a strap though to be even more under the radar.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:32 AM   #30
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Suggest taking a poll of any watch thieves monitoring this site!! Asking potential victims isn’t likely to be helpful.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote