The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2022, 05:47 PM   #1
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

Deepsea 126660

Sorry if it's the wrong section to post in.

Issue:
Second hand stops intermittently despite winding >40x.
This results in the watch falling behind by up to 30 min within a couple hours.
Video link at the bottom.

Background:
I have had my Deepsea Cameron for 4 years, so still within warranty.
It has been sent to RSC twice for running extremely slow (>10 min per day).
Both times after getting fixed, the watch was exact.

It did slow down again couple months ago, but resolved on its own. I wore it and just shook my wrist around for about a minute.

Resolution:
Face down. As of this minute while I'm writing this post, it has kept up with exact time for the past 5 hours. I'll wear it tomorrow to see if it stays that way.

Question:
Should I send back to the RSC for the 3rd time?
I have come to accept this watch as having a personality of its own. When it keeps time, it's atomic accurate.
RSC takes a long time to ship back, months. Not sure if I want to do this again.

Video:
https://youtu.be/B8aVQhPqy4o
deepseacarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 06:59 PM   #2
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Your 10K+ watch should be more than capable of maintaining decent time irrespective of its position, and the second hand should absolutely be able to keep going after 40 winds.

Unless you want an expensive paperweight on your arm, then yes I'm afraid it has to go back to RSC again. I hope they manage to sort it out for you once and for all as I know what it's like when you lose confidence in a piece.
Old 12 August 2022, 07:23 PM   #3
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Yikes, back it goes until it operates normal.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:48 PM   #4
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I would live with it unless it starts losing more than 10 s/d. In that case, I would take it back to RSC for the last time and get rid of it after the service.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:30 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would send it back and have it repaired.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:42 PM   #6
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseacarmel View Post
Sorry if it's the wrong section to post in.

Issue:
Second hand stops intermittently despite winding >40x.
This results in the watch falling behind by up to 30 min within a couple hours.
Video link at the bottom.

Background:
I have had my Deepsea Cameron for 4 years, so still within warranty.
It has been sent to RSC twice for running extremely slow (>10 min per day).
Both times after getting fixed, the watch was exact.

It did slow down again couple months ago, but resolved on its own. I wore it and just shook my wrist around for about a minute.

Resolution:
Face down. As of this minute while I'm writing this post, it has kept up with exact time for the past 5 hours. I'll wear it tomorrow to see if it stays that way.

Question:
Should I send back to the RSC for the 3rd time?
I have come to accept this watch as having a personality of its own. When it keeps time, it's atomic accurate.
RSC takes a long time to ship back, months. Not sure if I want to do this again.

Video:
https://youtu.be/B8aVQhPqy4o
So sorry to hear of your problems with the watch
Have you seen the 32xx problem poll thread which is still very current? I urge you to contribute and share your experience.

I honestly don't know what to say about your conundrum, except to say that I would send it back in for warranty repairs for as long as possible.
Rolex might know how to fix it by the end of the warranty
Alternately you may choose to flick it as soon as it's fixed while there's still a bit of warranty left on it and hope the next owner has a better experience.
Sadly this is par for the course with this movement and has has been for a number of years. It's not what us old timers have come to expect of a Rolex and why we have always paid a premium purchase price and for servicing with the brand.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 09:55 PM   #7
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Holy moly… twice back to rsc and it got to 10 mins a day? That’s insane… very sorry to hear.

What I’d do is send it back in when it has returned fixed sell it…

Some hear claim silent fix… no evidence of that. Sell it and if you love the model get a new one with fresh warranty…
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 10:40 PM   #8
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
I had 2 deepsea 116660 black 2012 and the J.Cameron 2017. NEVER ! had a single problem with the old caliber. Incredible

Old 13 August 2022, 02:49 AM   #9
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

Update: Although it kept time face down overnight, immediately after wearing it in the morning, it would stop. The problem is worse now. As of this writing its stuck at the time i set it at. The watch is completely unsusable.

I am very disappointed with my rolex experience. This will be the 3rd trip to RSC within 3 years under warranty with no guarantee that it will get fixed

In other sectors, this is considered a lemon and I will be asking for a replacement. Quite frankly, screwing up 3 time is unacceptable
Old 13 August 2022, 03:01 AM   #10
LC23
"TRF" Member

Buy another watch!
LC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 03:11 AM   #11
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Update: Although it kept time face down overnight, immediately after wearing it in the morning, it would stop. The problem is worse now. As of this writing its stuck at the time i set it at. The watch is completely unsusable.

I am very disappointed with my rolex experience. This will be the 3rd trip to RSC within 3 years under warranty with no guarantee that it will get fixed

In other sectors, this is considered a lemon and I will be asking for a replacement. Quite frankly, screwing up 3 time is unacceptable
Jeez, that sucks. I don't know if lemon laws apply to watches but you could certainly try that with the AD where you bought it. (Did you get it at the Carmel AD? They are very nice there). Or the AD could take it in as trade against another model.

The problem really has two parts though. Even with warranty repairs you are out of the watch for months each time! Three warranty repairs could add up to a year off the wrist! That is unacceptable. Then there is the issue of what happens when the warranty period ends and the issue is unresolved.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 08:38 AM   #12
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes this is really bad, send it back, when it comes back get rid of it. I can’t imagine them extending the warranty for you.
Old 13 August 2022, 09:04 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Jeez, that sucks. I don't know if lemon laws apply to watches but you could certainly try that with the AD where you bought it. (Did you get it at the Carmel AD? They are very nice there). Or the AD could take it in as trade against another model.
A rather generous trade at that if possible.
Something like a Daytona or even better still a Skydweller, either of which will banish the Rolex 32xx pox forever
Old 13 August 2022, 09:05 AM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
Yes this is really bad, send it back, when it comes back get rid of it. I can’t imagine them extending the warranty for you.
An extended warranty will be the exclusive preserve of Rolex
Old 13 August 2022, 09:15 AM   #15
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You could carry on as you are with pursuing it until the warranty is up and let us know how you are treated afterward
Old 13 August 2022, 11:08 AM   #16
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Get it fixed under warranty and let it go, life's too short to put up with that kind of cr**.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 11:48 AM   #17
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Send it back for repair!
Old 13 August 2022, 05:18 PM   #18
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

Considering the number of responses to send it back, I decided to send it back for the 3rd time.

I wrote an email to my AD with the youtube link and will be dropping the watch off later with all the documentation of the servicing etc.

The watch is so obviously defective, I asked the AD for a new replacement. Lets face it, it stops working after 2 trips to the RSC within 2 years?

My wife's datejust which we bought at the same time has been flawless.
So I think I just had pure bad luck. Wouldn't blame Rolex for it since no one else has the same experience.
I have been pretty fortunate in my life, I can live with this 1st world problem.

The biggest problem is that the 44 mm JC SD is my favorite.
The other one is the 44 mm Yachtmaster II, platinum white gold, but much pricier.
Anyone hear how the 136660 is doing? I'll probably take my clasp from my 126660 and replace the one on the 136660.
Old 13 August 2022, 06:25 PM   #19
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Considering the number of responses to send it back, I decided to send it back for the 3rd time.

I wrote an email to my AD with the youtube link and will be dropping the watch off later with all the documentation of the servicing etc.

The watch is so obviously defective, I asked the AD for a new replacement. Lets face it, it stops working after 2 trips to the RSC within 2 years?

So I think I just had pure bad luck. Wouldn't blame Rolex for it since no one else has the same experience.
I have been pretty fortunate in my life, I can live with this 1st world problem.

The other one is the 44 mm Yachtmaster II, platinum white gold, but much pricier.
Anyone hear how the 136660 is doing? I'll probably take my clasp from my 126660 and replace the one on the 136660.
We only know of one or two people who have taken delivery of the 136660.
It still has the same dodgy movement.
After you get the new one, please let us know how long before it goes south on you with the same wearing habits
Old 13 August 2022, 06:41 PM   #20
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Deepsea 126660

Quote:

Why on earth did you entertain not sending it back?

The watch is monumentally malfunctioning and it’s in warranty.

Let’s if they apply the fix silently this time lol.

Op I do hope your wife’s dj stays healthy but a tonne of these movements have gone bad.

If possible ask your ad to replace it with a skydweller. That movement appears to be going very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2022, 08:40 PM   #21
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Buy the original 116660 with the reliable movement and real tool appearance
Old 14 August 2022, 10:06 AM   #22
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

I would consider the Skydweller but I only like the 44 mm cases. I have considered getting a 116660 or even an older movement placed in my 126660.
Old 14 August 2022, 11:07 AM   #23
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Trading in your watch for a SkyD seems a good idea
Old 14 August 2022, 04:22 PM   #24
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
If you love the JC then you should have one. If they cannot sort out this problem.... get rid of it and get another one because it sounds like a lemon. I LOVE my JC 126660 and its
VERY accurate. There is definitely something wrong with yours. But dont give up on the JC if you love it. Just get this whole thing sorted out and then decide what to do.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 05:48 PM   #25
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
RSC ,sell it for a 116660JC

3135 rules the 3235 ,its pretty clear by now .No fuss,no mess .

I own many 3235s too .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 03:44 PM   #26
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC2 View Post
If you love the JC then you should have one. If they cannot sort out this problem.... get rid of it and get another one because it sounds like a lemon. I LOVE my JC 126660 and its
VERY accurate. There is definitely something wrong with yours. But dont give up on the JC if you love it. Just get this whole thing sorted out and then decide what to do.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
I appreciate your comment and decided that I will just have the watch replaced.
I will update the forum on what happens. To me, it is so obviously defective that it would only be fair that it be replaced.
I am hoping the AD will just return it to Rolex and they themselves get a refund.
I pictured my self with the new GMT and the other Seadwellers or Submariners, it's just too small and I don't like it.
Just going to go with what I love.
Thanks
Old 15 August 2022, 03:50 PM   #27
mathewdale
Banned

Watch: HULK
Quote:
I will update the forum on what happens. To me, it is so obviously defective that it would only be fair that it be replaced.
I am hoping the AD will just return it to Rolex and they themselves get a refund.
I pictured my self with the new GMT and the other Seadwellers or Submariners, it's just too small and I don't like it.
Thanks
Good luck OP and do share with us the outcome
mathewdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 04:34 PM   #28
deepseacarmel
"TRF" Member

Some of you guys/gals say get rid of it.
How would I go about that?
Do I just go online and sell it through a reputable site?
Or do I go through my AD?
Old 15 August 2022, 05:13 PM   #29
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
Quote:
Thanks
YES ! thats the thing to do. Just go with what speaks to you and if the JC is what you love then you should have it. Maybe Rolex can finally sort out whats screwing your watch up. We wish you luck. I hope Rolex does the right thing here. Keep us posted.
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2022, 08:41 PM   #30
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some of you guys/gals say get rid of it.
How would I go about that?
Do I just go online and sell it through a reputable site?
Or do I go through my AD?
You can sell it any way you want. You won't get much joy through your AD unless they have a pre-owned section and will take it off your hands, or unless they agree to do something for you as a kind of ex gratia if it's determined to be a lemon.

Otherwise, yes sell it online (here, eBay, C24, other watch forums, etc), or to a grey/secondhand watch vendor. You'll probably get more as a PX if you buy another watch from them, but some will just buy it off you.

Obviously morally you need to get it fixed by Rolex first before trying to sell it, but once that's done you're good to go.