The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2022, 05:46 AM   #1
Krdonnel
"TRF" Member

Got a call from AD … Help!

I’ll qualify this post by saying this will be my first purchase from an AD. I bought my wife a beautiful older reference yellow gold datejust w black dial and diamond markers a few years back for the birth of our daughter but nothing new. My son was born 9 months ago. I went to the AD about 2 months before he was born to pick one out and realized very quickly it wrong time to buy 😅. I’ve been keeping an eye on the market since and decided to visit my closest AD and at least get on the interest list. I’ve settled on a Pepsi GMT w Jubilee band. I’d like to buy a watch or two a year and set aside about 20k +/- for this year. Ultimately would like the GMT and an OP or two or GMT/other Sport model combo.

Th AD was super friendly and we chatted for a good while. I told her the above and that I realize the state of the market currently. She took my interest list and asked my thoughts on a two tone Daytona or Sub. We discussed those for a bit and I honestly don’t mind the look of the two tone on the sports watches. I stopped back in about two weeks later and we chatted again for a bit. Again, super friendly. She asked me again my thoughts on a two tone Sub (YG/Blue). Again, beautiful piece but would like the GMT as my baby boys piece and I’d like to get another piece or two in the next several months (if possible). 16K for the two tone Sub would eliminate any GMT for a while and possibly any other piece for a bit as well. I left after more small talk and didn’t think much of it.
A week later (today) she called and offered me the two tone sub.
I’m absolutely torn.
It is genuinely a beautiful piece but the GMT is what I’ve had picked out for the boy for a year now. On the other hand, who knows how long before I even get a chance at a GMT (or any other combo of pieces) and I don’t wanna pass this up and the AD be reluctant to offer what I’m looking for. I honestly don’t think they would do that but it’s in the calculation.

Anyone received a GMT lately? How long did you wait?

Thanks for listening to the rambling first post!
Krdonnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 05:51 AM   #2
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
You're going to hear this a lot: Don't buy things you don't want. Honestly I think it helps to stick by your guns... that way they know you're serious about a particular model and (this may matter to some AD's more than others) less likely to flip because you aren't just buying any Rolex you can get your hands on.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 05:52 AM   #3
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Don’t buy what you don’t want. You clearly want the GMT so just wait until one comes up. I personally wouldn’t go near anything two-tone with a ten foot pole.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 05:53 AM   #4
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

Hello, in all honesty and given your limited purchase history, the chances of you getting a gmt Pepsi are close to zero. Also the op is difficult maybe a black one or silver could be possible after a few months wait. If you want to build a collection and a relationship a two-tone sub is a good looking watch. I would buy it and start from there if you like the piece and have enough cash. Again, a Pepsi is not gonna happen any time soon. Good luck!
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:04 AM   #5
sj24k
"TRF" Member

they're all just watches, and none of them are worth buying if you don't really love them or want them. (unless of course you're in the business of buying them to sell them, but that's a whole different story.)

anyway, don't get sucked into this vortex. trust your heart and your wallet.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:08 AM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Wait for what you want, go grey, or consider another brand.
Old 13 August 2022, 06:15 AM   #7
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Reading into this it sounds like they want to sell you a two-tone before they will allocate a SS Sport model to you. I know many people are saying not to buy something that you do not want, but twice she keeps bring it up. Hmmm. A two-tone Sub would pair nicely with the SS Pepsi, and they are getting easily a couple a month. It's just a matter of who gets one and what it takes.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:16 AM   #8
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t get a piece I didn’t love - I have lots of watches and can afford them, but they all cost too much to get one I didn’t love.

But I recognize a BLRO, at least right now, is a hard high demand piece. I had purchased several other pieces from my AD before I got one. But they are all pieces I wanted and still want. If I only wanted a BLRO and no other piece I’d probably stick to my ask and set a deadline internally, and if it didn’t come then I’d just buy on the secondary market.

If you are an MSRP only person or can only afford one piece, then I’d just wait it out and hope things get back to normal. I would not do anything to suggest to the AD that you want only one piece, however.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:19 AM   #9
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Buy them all and you will always get the call.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:21 AM   #10
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Wait for what you want, or go grey.
^^^^ Best advice!! Don't settle for what you don't desire!! GMT's out of AD's very tough watch to get. Be ready to wait years, unless you're a big big spender.
Good luck!!
4 Aussies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:22 AM   #11
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Go Grey

16k for a sub you don't want or 22k (gmt) for a watch you will pass down in 20 years.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:28 AM   #12
Forty6nTwo
"TRF" Member

I'd wait for the GMT, actually, I am patiently waiting........ good luck.
Forty6nTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:36 AM   #13
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Wait for the GMT. She knows you want it and is dangling the Sub as a carrot. Don't play the game.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:45 AM   #14
zoenatenich
"TRF" Member

I agree with everyone to buy only what you like. But, the two-tone yellow gold sub is good looking. Can't go wrong with it too.
Good luck.
zoenatenich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:47 AM   #15
Krdonnel
"TRF" Member

I declined. I made sure to thank her for thinking of me and reiterated that the GMT in particular is something I’ve had picked out for the special occasion and worth waiting. If I’m still waiting and grey mkt gets closer to MSRP than I may bite.
Krdonnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 06:49 AM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krdonnel View Post

Last October.

15 months after going on the list, 10 months after confirming which bracelet I wanted.

The 126613LB is a beautiful watch. But if you want something else, don't buy what you don't want is my advice. What you actually do is entirely up to you.

Here's a quick and dirty reality check: you're asking a forum full of strangers. If you really wanted the Sub would you be asking? Wouldn't you own it already and be posting an incoming?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 07:00 AM   #17
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Everyone here says wait for the GMT. Is it realistic for someone with no history to get one with no history? I know it happens, but…
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 07:34 AM   #18
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Buy the sub. Then wait for the GMT. Make it clear that you bought that gold day date from them as well.

Just keep buying.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 07:52 AM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

And next week she’ll call telling a TT Daytona just arrived
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 11:26 AM   #20
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Buy what you want....
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 12:09 PM   #21
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

1. Don’t buy what you don’t want/need.
2. Congrats on your baby, but you do not know how expensive it is to raise a child.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 12:52 PM   #22
Andad

Watch: A few.
Times change.

I would wait for the GMT.

It may not be as long a wait as you think?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 03:46 PM   #23
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Everyone here says wait for the GMT. Is it realistic for someone with no history to get one with no history? I know it happens, but…
depends on the AD, but

1- my buddy got one recently. 50k spend history, including jewelry

2- a much more common SS opener is a sub or a SD43

it's not impossible to get a GMT, but less common that the above. If you're the king of cool and have the X factor and some luck, it could happen.
Old 13 August 2022, 05:07 PM   #24
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Wait for the one you want. Don’t buy into the hype of all this getting a watch you did not order, in my opinion, you could well regret it.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 09:14 PM   #25
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I would wait for what you want and personally I would not purchase an expensive item for someone who may well have no interest in it when given in the future.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 09:40 PM   #26
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Good move on declining the offer OP. Hold out for what you're after. Continue to casually stop in and chat with the AD on occasion. I think it'll work out in your favor.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 09:49 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
You have declined and not an issue. Keep us posted on the progress with the AD and when you are offered the GMT.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 10:34 PM   #28
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Wait for what you want, go grey, or consider another brand.
/thread
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 07:13 AM   #29
reelestates
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712,SD,DD,CHNR
sorry bro! never say no!
reelestates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2022, 08:05 AM   #30
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krdonnel View Post
I’ll qualify this post by saying this will be my first purchase from an AD. I bought my wife a beautiful older reference yellow gold datejust w black dial and diamond markers a few years back for the birth of our daughter but nothing new. My son was born 9 months ago. I went to the AD about 2 months before he was born to pick one out and realized very quickly it wrong time to buy 😅. I’ve been keeping an eye on the market since and decided to visit my closest AD and at least get on the interest list. I’ve settled on a Pepsi GMT w Jubilee band. I’d like to buy a watch or two a year and set aside about 20k +/- for this year. Ultimately would like the GMT and an OP or two or GMT/other Sport model combo.

Th AD was super friendly and we chatted for a good while. I told her the above and that I realize the state of the market currently. She took my interest list and asked my thoughts on a two tone Daytona or Sub. We discussed those for a bit and I honestly don’t mind the look of the two tone on the sports watches. I stopped back in about two weeks later and we chatted again for a bit. Again, super friendly. She asked me again my thoughts on a two tone Sub (YG/Blue). Again, beautiful piece but would like the GMT as my baby boys piece and I’d like to get another piece or two in the next several months (if possible). 16K for the two tone Sub would eliminate any GMT for a while and possibly any other piece for a bit as well. I left after more small talk and didn’t think much of it.
A week later (today) she called and offered me the two tone sub.
I’m absolutely torn.
It is genuinely a beautiful piece but the GMT is what I’ve had picked out for the boy for a year now. On the other hand, who knows how long before I even get a chance at a GMT (or any other combo of pieces) and I don’t wanna pass this up and the AD be reluctant to offer what I’m looking for. I honestly don’t think they would do that but it’s in the calculation.

Buy the watch you want to buy not the watch the AD wants you to buy.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote