The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 31 March 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Seventh Son
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
New Pam owner, Pls help

I just bought a Pam 305 and how many turns do I have to wind the crown to fully "charge" the movement? I look thru the manual and nothing is mentioned. And how you count the number of turns as there are no markings on the crown? Thanks for helping.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 10:20 PM   #2
MrTito
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, JLC Deep Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
I just bought a Pam 305 and how many turns do I have to wind the crown to fully "charge" the movement? I look thru the manual and nothing is mentioned. And how you count the number of turns as there are no markings on the crown? Thanks for helping.
My understanding has always been that you should wind until the crown stops turning - in other words the moment you feel resistance STOP! I think it's reasonably difficult to actually break it through forcing the crown, but I know of it happening. My rule of thumb is always to just go nice and slow, then the moment she resists - leave well alone! Some might say a rule for life in general.
MrTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 10:22 PM   #3
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Around 50 times I believe.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Badfish179
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam24, Seamaster
Just turn the crown gently until you feel a little resistance and then stop. There are no markings on the crown so just turn it gently as it feels comfortable to you. I turn mine in my own way and count the turns. I usually wind it the same time every day. It takes me about 23 turns according to the way I wind. Once you do it a few times and find your own count, you will find that it will be about the same every day within 2-3 turns. Don't worry just enjoy it. Also if you have a crown guard, it's best practice to wind with the crown guard lever released. Good luck.
Old 31 March 2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Seventh Son
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys. Will try winding mine till I feel a little resistance, then I'll stop.
Old 31 March 2010, 11:48 PM   #6
mfer
"TRF" Member

Guys, the 305 is automatic! There is no stopping on the winding. You can wind it forever due to the "clutch" mechanism on autos to prevent overwinding.

As regards to how many winds???? I'd call the Beverly Hills Boutique and ask for Chad if you just can't go through life not knowing.

Another option is if you AD has a 321,347,320 or 329. These share a similiar P.9000 calibre and they have power reserve. How many turns does it take to go from zero to full power? Just count I guess. It is also personal winding. The crown guards make it hard to get a full wind, so are you doing half turns, quarter turns, etc.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 01:01 AM   #7
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

When your watch is wound down, take a listen as you initially begin the winding process. You'll hear a fairly smooth sound. When it is in fact wound all the way, you'll be able to hear clicks (this is the clutch). This is how I do my 312.

Old 1 April 2010, 02:04 AM   #8
Seventh Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
When your watch is wound down, take a listen as you initially begin the winding process. You'll hear a fairly smooth sound. When it is in fact wound all the way, you'll be able to hear clicks (this is the clutch). This is how I do my 312.

OK. So I'll be hearing the clicks as the clutch starts slipping, just like my SDDS. Thanks, now I feel better winding my 305.
Old 1 April 2010, 04:54 AM   #9
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post

Very cool! I never thought of that.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote