The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 July 2015, 04:40 AM   #1
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
PAM292 vs PAM505

So first off, I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death as I imagine it's a popular discussion. I have searched for info and found a bit here and there but would really love to hear a fresh comparative take on these two watches.

Let me also explain my interest and how things balance for me. I've never owned a Panerai but I've been a long time admirer. After years of trying on watches, and endless hours of internet drooling, I am quite certain If I ever manage to pull the trigger it would be for a 292 or 505. I have also considered the 183, 210 and 380 but ultimately I know I won't be happy till I end up with the composite or ceramic.

OK so here's my preferences and thoughts.

Color and Style:
I give this a very slight edge to the 505. There's something about the brown hue that is so unique and attractive to me. Also love the brown strap. However, I would be concerned that I might get slightly bored with the color scheme down the road which would push my back towards the 292 which is obviously classic. Black on black is a flat out winning combo so it's a tough call.

Function:
I would prefer to have the date but can live without it.

Movement:
I've heard a lot of opinions about "in house" movement vs (whatever is) the mechanical movement of the 292. I've heard everything from "who cares" to "I would never pay for a Panerai with an outsourced movement". Honestly I have no idea what to think. Experts please weight in. This issue does however lead my directly to my next consideration...

Price:
I would most likely take the pre-owned route here, and possibly make a trade with a value of about $5000 towards the Panerai. I've seen a few good 292 candidates for sub $5500 and a rarely but occasionally I've seen the 505 for sub $7500. With that said I would really like to not have to add a lot of money on top of a potential trade. It's not that I can't afford it, it's just an obvious attempt to save money. As read above, the color scheme and style is not worth the extra cost of the 505 to me, but possibly the date function and in house movement is. So in your opinions is it worth spending the extra cash?

My Foggy Conclusion
If they were both the exact same price I would get the 505. So yes, it is the watch I like slightly more. But I'm just not sure it's worth the extra couple grand.

Thanks in advance!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 04:58 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've loved the 292 for a long time and would be very happy owning one - just look up pictures of the 292 on an asso strap....

I also prefer ceramic over composite (which is basically aluminum with a hardened coating), the reliable and easy/cheap to service ETA movement and the 292's size.

That being said, the brown of the 505 is gorgeous and there are those that love it (including Nick, who has an awesome set of PAMs).

Good luck with the choice!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 05:03 AM   #3
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I've loved the 292 for a long time and would be very happy owning one - just look up pictures of the 292 on an asso strap....

I also prefer ceramic over composite (which is basically aluminum with a hardened coating), the reliable and easy/cheap to service ETA movement and the 292's size.

That being said, the brown of the 505 is gorgeous and there are those that love it (including Nick, who has an awesome set of PAMs).

Thanks very much for the response, info and opinions! Very encouraging.
Old 8 July 2015, 05:12 AM   #4
mfer
"TRF" Member

You didn't mention that they will wear different. The 292 is thinner with a lower profile. I feel like you'll have more strap options with the 292 (black) over the 505 (brown). Black goes with everything. I think the 292 would look awesome on a yellow gator, green gator, distressed ammo, etc. The 505 seems like your strap choices are a bit more limited.

I'm with Cru here. 292.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 05:32 AM   #5
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
You didn't mention that they will wear different. The 292 is thinner with a lower profile. I feel like you'll have more strap options with the 292 (black) over the 505 (brown). Black goes with everything. I think the 292 would look awesome on a yellow gator, green gator, distressed ammo, etc. The 505 seems like your strap choices are a bit more limited.

I'm with Cru here. 292.
Nice perspective! Didn't know that about the profile difference either. Thank you!
Old 8 July 2015, 05:34 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

Both great I have the 505 it wears thicker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.7 KB, 373 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 05:44 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Both great I have the 505 it wears thicker
Sweet pic! Thanks for the response.

How do you feel about the movement and price difference?
Old 8 July 2015, 05:51 AM   #8
nick c
Banned

The 505 wears great very comfortable the movement it's ok 3 days power reserve guess more expansive service when needed
Old 8 July 2015, 05:52 AM   #9
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

I had the 339...with the thicker case...
but beyond that...the brown case is harder to match straps...and clothing..

love the dial of the 339...
Old 8 July 2015, 08:25 AM   #10
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Thank you Cru I appreciated
Old 8 July 2015, 09:24 AM   #11
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Both are nice. Would be a hard decision, but the edge would go to the 292 I think.
Old 8 July 2015, 06:09 PM   #12
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I prefer the 505, but I dont like the auto movement too much due to the height. But the reason I like the 505 is that its an interesting material. Ceramic for me is not that attractive due to its brittleness and its ability to NOT age. For me I like some ageing, patinaation etc on my watches. Ceramic will just stay the same forever and for me thats abit weird. Also it will just crack and break if dropped. Granted any watch that is dropped like that will probably need a service anyway but u get my point.

So I say 505.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 08:37 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 08:57 PM   #14
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
If the money works out, then the 505. If not then I'd be happy enough with the 292.
That said, don't 'settle' for the watch you like less as there is a danger of dissatisfaction, flipping and loss of money...
Old 9 July 2015, 01:52 AM   #15
NavyGrey
"TRF" Member

If you like the 505 more it's worth the extra grand. Spend a little more now to avoid that expensive mistake. Remember YOLO! I have a 505 and love it. I wear mine with a suit and get compliments on it. Good luck and hope that helps.
NavyGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2015, 05:06 AM   #16
RUpanerai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam Patek Rolex AP
Go with the 292, ceramic is more proven.
RUpanerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 11:11 AM   #17
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you all for the info and opinions. This is a crazy debate for me. Never been so up in the air about two choices. It's almost a coin flip really.
Old 13 July 2015, 12:11 PM   #18
nick c
Banned

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 13 July 2015, 09:55 PM   #19
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2015, 07:54 PM   #20
Schieserkoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: idiocracy (2006)
292 for me. The subtle elegance & stealth. A firm favourite for me.
Schieserkoff is offline   Reply With Quote