The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 July 2022, 08:33 PM   #31
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I'm surprised this thread ever got past simple 'Its a Service Case' right from the off. Rightly or wrongly a massive knock on value (30-50%) and better to buy even a well polished one than a S.C in my humble opinion.
Come on, let's do it again....
DO YOU FEEL LIKE WE DO - Peter Frampton
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 10:42 PM   #32
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavidthorpe View Post
I'm surprised this thread ever got past simple 'Its a Service Case' right from the off. Rightly or wrongly a massive knock on value (30-50%) and better to buy even a well polished one than a S.C in my humble opinion.
Yeah, there was a bit of drift, since the question of when the 16800 started was actually more interesting than the original question, to me at least. Good info on that topic in the end.

Personally, I am very curious about the call the OP received from Rolex, and what they told him precisely. He says that they told him "1979", but the question they were responding to is not clear. Was that their answer to the question of when the reference was launched, or did they date his watch based on the movement number? Frankly, the notion that he got this kind of service from Rolex is mind-boggling to me.
Old 9 July 2022, 06:58 PM   #33
jayc6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
Further on 47xxxxx replacement case numbers, here is a late example that I have just advised on. It was originally a circa 2001 Pxxxxxx case number Day-Date 118208, but the new case bears the service replacement number both between lugs and on inner rehaut, as shown ! If memory serves, the latter feature was first introduced with the Turn-Graph 11626x series of watches circa 2005.

Insta : haywood_milton_rolex
Thanks a lot for the knowledge, one more thing learned on Rolex today.
jayc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2022, 07:05 PM   #34
jayc6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Yeah, there was a bit of drift, since the question of when the 16800 started was actually more interesting than the original question, to me at least. Good info on that topic in the end.

Personally, I am very curious about the call the OP received from Rolex, and what they told him precisely. He says that they told him "1979", but the question they were responding to is not clear. Was that their answer to the question of when the reference was launched, or did they date his watch based on the movement number? Frankly, the notion that he got this kind of service from Rolex is mind-boggling to me.
Hello,

I have emailed Rolex in order to know when was the ref 16800 produced for the first time.
They called my back to say that they have to have a look at the archives and will call me back later.
Few days later I received a call and they said that the ref 16800 was produced for the first time in 1979. Hope this helps.
Old 10 July 2022, 12:53 AM   #35
jayc6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc6 View Post
Hello,

I have emailed Rolex in order to know when was the ref 16800 produced for the first time.
They called my back to say that they have to have a look at the archives and will call me back later.
Few days later I received a call and they said that the ref 16800 was produced for the first time in 1979. Hope this helps.
They also emailed me the answer
Old 10 July 2022, 05:13 AM   #36
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc6 View Post
They also emailed me the answer
Fantastic, can you please hide your data and shows us their reply?

Thank you so much
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote