The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2022, 12:31 AM   #91
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcool View Post
This is absurd. They’re not doing us a favor by selling us the watch. We are doing them a favor by buying it.
The tide may be turning, but right now you're still not doing anyone else but yourself a favor buying a hot Rolex, Patek, AP at MSRP. Hence the "interview".
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 12:36 AM   #92
Jay2101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
Surely the one thing the AD is trying to curtail is a customer buying and immediately flipping to “make a wad of cash”?
Of course.

Just saying objectively, for these hyped up pieces, can't expect the same type of attitude from the seller as per usual. The money making potential of these watches make it so they really are doing the buyer a favor. The buyer stands to potentially earn much more from this transaction than the SA in commission, the AD on the wholesale-msrp difference, even more than Rolex itself on that particular piece.

I always think of it like this. If you're fortunate enough to buy at msrp for these, it's like you're getting paid to wear it every year. What a world.

Tapatalk を使用して私の CPH1943 から送信
Jay2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 01:55 AM   #93
mzcool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
The tide may be turning, but right now you're still not doing anyone else but yourself a favor buying a hot Rolex, Patek, AP at MSRP. Hence the "interview".
I just got a new Sub at MSRP from an AD. I love it. I waited two years. I'm fine with that.

AD experience was great outside of the wait (and I don't blame them for that). But it was great precisely because they were upfront that I had to wait, and actually delivered on the watch without expecting me to jump through hoops to buy it.

I'm not going to chat up the SA every few weeks, send gifts, buy other jewelry, or sit through an interview for the "opportunity" to give someone else my money.
mzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 02:30 AM   #94
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
I can PROMISE you that DavidSW will do no such thing. If you have the cash he will sell you the watch you want exactly as described. In my purchase history I’ve gone AD and David.Prefer AD but cash is King.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 03:08 AM   #95
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
I can PROMISE you that DavidSW will do no such thing. If you have the cash he will sell you the watch you want exactly as described. In my purchase history I’ve gone AD and David.Prefer AD but cash is King.
I'm sure he will be happy to take your $21,875 for a LV that you can buy from an AD for $10,600.... I've gone the grey route before to save thousands not pay thousands above MSRP.
Old 7 July 2022, 03:53 AM   #96
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine99 View Post
I'm sure he will be happy to take your $21,875 for a LV that you can buy from an AD for $10,600.... I've gone the grey route before to save thousands not pay thousands above MSRP.
I agree.
Vince M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 04:56 AM   #97
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Wear a suit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 04:57 AM   #98
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaine99 View Post
Understood. There are soo many on here who are so very smart with their money but also have soo much money that paying double for a watch doesn’t really even factor in.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 04:59 AM   #99
AlanH
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Wear a suit

Wear a top hat and ideally arrive in a horse-drawn carriage.
Sitting next to the Queen.
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 05:12 AM   #100
bryant_is_bored
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
Wear a top hat and ideally arrive in a horse-drawn carriage.
Sitting next to the Queen.
Don't forget a monocle.
bryant_is_bored is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 05:15 AM   #101
Deroya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post

You mean for only 2x above retail SW won’t play any silly games? You don’t say….

Deroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 05:26 AM   #102
dwaine99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroya View Post
You mean for only 2x above retail SW won’t play any silly games? You don’t say….

Isn't that a great deal for a USED watch?
Old 7 July 2022, 04:23 PM   #103
curlychris1967
"TRF" Member

I'm amazed at the number of replies and thank you all very much for throwing in your advice and points of view.

Out of interest my first Rolex was a 1950's Tudor and my other is a 1974 single red sub.

Having heard back from the dealer after asking for an "interview" slot first thing Saturday morning I've been told they are so busy that they have no slots for anyone wanting to buy a Rolex for at least 2 weeks on any day of the week at any time.

I'm guessing if it takes that long to simply talk about a watch it's going to be a long and painful process actually getting hold of one but I will gladly update you as I go through the process.
curlychris1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 08:16 PM   #104
temporarychicken
"TRF" Member

It looks like the proposed 'interview' was merely to automate the dropping off of less committed applicants.

Having pushed through that stage, the next hurdle is to actually book the 'interview' for which they also have a strong defence.

It may not be practical, but were you to actually visit the store you would be unlikely to witness the staff each working 8 hour days with back-to-back interviews for potential new customers.

It is most likely that they believe they already have customers for every watch they'll receive this year at least.

If you are, by any chance, able to physically pop in unannounced you will hopefully be able to initiate a much more honest discussion and find out the actual lie of the land.

All the ADs I've visited recently have been anything but busy. If you have a product that sells itself, then you're a seller who doesn't have to do much selling, for this brand at least.
temporarychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 10:51 PM   #105
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlychris1967 View Post
I'm amazed at the number of replies and thank you all very much for throwing in your advice and points of view.

Out of interest my first Rolex was a 1950's Tudor and my other is a 1974 single red sub.

Having heard back from the dealer after asking for an "interview" slot first thing Saturday morning I've been told they are so busy that they have no slots for anyone wanting to buy a Rolex for at least 2 weeks on any day of the week at any time.

I'm guessing if it takes that long to simply talk about a watch it's going to be a long and painful process actually getting hold of one but I will gladly update you as I go through the process.
So first you are asked to give up an hour for an "interview" to be then told they are too busy? Incredible!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2022, 10:57 PM   #106
AlanH
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I don’t know about anyone else but my AD sells other watch brands in addition to Rolex, as well as selling jewellery, diamonds, engagement and wedding rings. The sales staff aren’t focused totally on Rolex.
AlanH is offline   Reply With Quote