The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 June 2022, 07:22 AM   #31
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
The GMT-second time zone is an interesting topic.

So, when I owned my GMT II (and my EX II) I could set the second time zone to anything I want. Let’s say since I am in aviation I really wanted the Greenwich Mean Time as my second time zone. I set the 24-hour hand eight (8) hours ahead of my local time. Whenever I need to know GMT, I simply look down at the hand and the bezel and Vuluah! (Or however you spell it), there it is at a glance.

If I have a GMT I, or this new Seiko, I look down, move the bezel eight positions and read the GMT off of the bezel. Is this a big deal? Of course not, just an added step. IMHO, it is not as functional as a GMT II, or travelers, or however you want to refer to an independently settable 24 hour hand. Here are the reasons:

1. It’s convenience. I can just glance at the dial for the info I need without having to move any bezel or anything else (call me lazy).

2. I always have to remember it is eight (8) positions away. OK, so that is not a big deal, but with a GMT II, I set the time once, and don’t ever have to think about how many hours ahead or behind I am… AND… what about when your local time changes, like travel or Daylight savings or whatever, how many hours am I off now? Is if forward or back?

Is it a HUGE difference? No, maybe not, but IMHO, the independently settable is much more convenient and useful.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 07:50 AM   #32
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post

So, when I owned my GMT II (and my EX II) I could set the second time zone to anything I want. Let’s say since I am in aviation I really wanted the Greenwich Mean Time as my second time zone. I set the 24-hour hand eight (8) hours ahead of my local time. Whenever I need to know GMT, I simply look down at the hand and the bezel and Vuluah! (Or however you spell it), there it is at a glance.

If I have a GMT I, or this new Seiko, I look down, move the bezel eight positions and read the GMT off of the bezel. Is this a big deal? Of course not, just an added step. IMHO, it is not as functional as a GMT II, or travelers, or however you want to refer to an independently settable 24 hour hand. Here are the reasons:

1. It’s convenience. I can just glance at the dial for the info I need without having to move any bezel or anything else (call me lazy).

2. I always have to remember it is eight (8) positions away. OK, so that is not a big deal, but with a GMT II, I set the time once, and don’t ever have to think about how many hours ahead or behind I am… AND… what about when your local time changes, like travel or Daylight savings or whatever, how many hours am I off now? Is if forward or back?

Is it a HUGE difference? No, maybe not, but IMHO, the independently settable is much more convenient and useful.
Got it.

There are multiple ways to utilize the GMT function, depending on the need. Given your scenario I can see why the Seiko would not be the best choice.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 07:15 PM   #33
ArtieFufkinPolymer
"TRF" Member

Very interested however from what I’ve seen I think the band and edge of the bezel looks a bit too “chromey”. I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.
ArtieFufkinPolymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 08:32 PM   #34
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hold on here. The old Rolex GMT 1 did not have an independently adjustable 24-hour hand, nor did it have an independently adjustable local hour hand. All it had with the 24 hour hand slaved to the hour hand, and you needed the bezel to read the second time zone.

This is NOT what we are referring to as a desk GMT. A desk GMT, like this new Seiko, allows you to independently change the 24-hour hand. So you can set the 24-hour hand to the 2nd time zone, or set it to UTC. Then the hour hand becomes your home time, the 24 hour hand the 2nd time zone, and the rotating bezel will give you the 3rd time zone, all at a glance. No need to change on the fly....although you can if you want to because of the independently settable 24 hour hand and rotating bezel.

I find a desk GMT to be not that much more complicated, and pretty much equal to, a traveller's GMT.

Am I missing something?
Gebbeth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 09:48 PM   #35
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True, but you still have to KNOW how many time zones you are off from your own to set the bezel correctly. With the GMT II for example, and it’s independently-settable hand, this is never a thought.

I am sure it is a great watch, but I am a bit disappointed at this (lack of) feature.

I would just leave the bezel in position for gmt. Not ideal that it could be moved (more like I move it because I can’t resist fidgeting with bezels) but it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 June 2022, 09:49 PM   #36
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Hold on here. The old Rolex GMT 1 did not have an independently adjustable 24-hour hand, nor did it have an independently adjustable local hour hand. All it had with the 24 hour hand slaved to the hour hand, and you needed the bezel to read the second time zone.

This is NOT what we are referring to as a desk GMT. A desk GMT, like this new Seiko, allows you to independently change the 24-hour hand. So you can set the 24-hour hand to the 2nd time zone, or set it to UTC. Then the hour hand becomes your home time, the 24 hour hand the 2nd time zone, and the rotating bezel will give you the 3rd time zone, all at a glance. No need to change on the fly....although you can if you want to because of the independently settable 24 hour hand and rotating bezel.

I find a desk GMT to be not that much more complicated, and pretty much equal to, a traveller's GMT.

Am I missing something?

This seiko’s 24 hour hand is slaved to the 12 hour hand.

Old 24 June 2022, 11:13 AM   #37
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:

Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db7566 View Post
This seiko’s 24 hour hand is slaved to the 12 hour hand.

This is what I understand as well, the 24 hour hand can NOT be independently set, just like the GMT 1.
Old 24 June 2022, 11:35 AM   #38
malice146
"TRF" Member

I maybe misunderstanding everyone but according to a Hiconsumption review of the SKX GMT it says the GMT hand can be independently set. I’d post a link but I have to few posts.

malice146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 02:22 PM   #39
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

The GMT hand can be set independently of the hour hand. Just not the other way around, like the way the Rolex GMT Master II works.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 04:03 PM   #40
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

That's what I read as well. The new GMT movement has an independently adjustable 24-hr hand.

I don't know who currently makes a GMT watch with a 4th hand that isn't either an independently adjustable 24 hour hand or an independently adjustable hour hand.
Old 24 June 2022, 04:08 PM   #41
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

https://www.fratellowatches.com/seik...eterans-alike/
Old 24 June 2022, 10:23 PM   #42
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Even I am assuming it will be an independent jumping hour as per recent times, it will be a deal breaker for many if they skip this. I guess we all have to wait for a hands on video review to be sure.
Old 25 June 2022, 05:13 AM   #43
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Even I am assuming it will be an independent jumping hour as per recent times, it will be a deal breaker for many if they skip this. I guess we all have to wait for a hands on video review to be sure.

Do you mean jumping the local hour hand vs the 24 hour hand? That's a deal breaker?

At a $500 price point, you are asking a lot of a movement to have a jumping local hour hand, especially for a movement that Seiko is trying to manufacture at volume for not only its watches but also for use in other companies' watches.

There are actually few watch makers that utilize a jumping local hour hand movement. Rolex, Omega, GS, Ball, Mido. Some are not really GMTs that have a rotating bezel (like time zone watches...ALS, Patek, AP) etc. All are significantly more expensive.

If Seiko can pull this off, this will be a game changer for independents trying to make an affordable GMT.
Old 25 June 2022, 06:53 AM   #44
HuguenotSW1
Banned

Looks great thanks for sharing
HuguenotSW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 06:37 PM   #45
kegan
"TRF" Member

I don’t think a movement that operates the same as every Rolex gmt from the 6542 to the 16700 is a deal breaker on a 500$ piece. Looks like an awesome watch to me.
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 08:32 PM   #46
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegan View Post
I don’t think a movement that operates the same as every Rolex gmt from the 6542 to the 16700 is a deal breaker on a 500$ piece. Looks like an awesome watch to me.

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 02:55 AM   #47
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
OK, so we have beaten this to death, but MAYBE this is the answer. Now, I am NOT talking about a jumping hour hand, like on the GMT II and the EXP II Rolex, what I want to know, is can I independently set the 24 hour hand.

For example, my local time is 10:00AM. The second time zone I am interested in the time is 2:00PM, or 1400. So, with this watch, I can have my local hour hand set at 10:00AM and the 24-hour hand set at 14 (on the bezel). This is correct(?). According to that article anyway.

As opposed to the GMT 1, where the 24hour hand was slaved to the hour hand. If it was 10:00AM on your local hour hand, the 24 hour hand was pointing at 10 on the bezel (assuming the bezel is straight up). If your local hand says it is 2:00PM, the 24 hour hand is pointing at the 14 on the bezel, but this was not changeable.

So, does a dorklehead like me now have it right?
Old 27 June 2022, 03:45 AM   #48
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I'll wait for the pepsi version of this watch, I have no doubt Seiko will eventually release the pepsi version
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2022, 08:02 AM   #49
malice146
"TRF" Member

Received my SKX GMT and you are able to set the GMT hand independently.

malice146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2022, 10:22 AM   #50
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
GMT hand sets independently. No jumping hour. Agree with Kegan, for this price, awesome watch.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2022, 09:42 PM   #51
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
I picked up the "Blueberry" version earlier this week at a local Seiko AD with a discount. It's a wonderful watch for the money!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 10:03 PM   #52
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I looked at the three options last week and did not get one. Broke down this week and bought the Orange dial for myself and the Blue version for a friend who is a great Seiko fan. Great watch and a lot of fun.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 10:05 PM   #53
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegan View Post
100%
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 11:55 PM   #54
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I looked at the three options last week and did not get one. Broke down this week and bought the Orange dial for myself and the Blue version for a friend who is a great Seiko fan. Great watch and a lot of fun.
Very nice.

If you have a chance to post a couple of pics of the orange, that would be great. It’s the one I’m eyeballing.
Old 17 July 2022, 03:03 AM   #55
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Thus far, the accuracy on my "Blueberry" is excellent. It ran about +6 over a 24 hour period when I first got it. Over the last 24 hours it is running +/-0, can't complain about that!

This is the first watch I have been excited about in a LONG time.

My only gripes are the lack of a screw down crown and the Hardlex Crystal, but for the price that's nitpicking. Really surprised to see the end links are actually solid on this piece. The bracelet is GREAT.
Old 17 July 2022, 09:36 AM   #56
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Thus far, the accuracy on my "Blueberry" is excellent. It ran about +6 over a 24 hour period when I first got it. Over the last 24 hours it is running +/-0, can't complain about that!

This is the first watch I have been excited about in a LONG time.

My only gripes are the lack of a screw down crown and the Hardlex Crystal, but for the price that's nitpicking. Really surprised to see the end links are actually solid on this piece. The bracelet is GREAT.

My AD received their first GMT today and he called me right away. Being shipped Monday, can’t wait to start wearing it.

Reelandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 12:36 AM   #57
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Just picked up the orange (yesterday). Neat watch. The 24 hand can be moved independent of the 12 hr hand, but it is unidirectional. One direction spins the 24hr hand and the other direction changes the date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange.jpg (90.6 KB, 177 views)
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 10:11 AM   #58
Ctaranti
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Rolex,Omega
I hardly need another watch, but big fan these especially the orange which I ordered. Pics to follow.
Ctaranti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 08:34 AM   #59
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

A photo from Insta.

Old 25 July 2022, 11:15 PM   #60
chinaski
"TRF" Member

My Blueberry is running at +10 over the course of 7 days. Surprised how accurate this thing is. Very pleased.