The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 June 2022, 10:21 PM   #1
FrogWatch
"TRF" Member

Grey market purchase

Does purchasing a grey market Patek help at all establish a relationship with an AD? At least show that you are interested in the brand? This would not be from an AD that sells pre-owned.

Also, I have an AD that is about an hour away but they want to play the “buy your way onto a list.” Totally get it (as I’ve done this for my Rolex collection) but they flat out told me I needed to spend $75k to get on a 6119g list. Does this seem steep for a $35k watch? Especially one that can readily be found preowned at or below retail?

Thanks for any insight!
FrogWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 10:32 PM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Unless you are buying some cool stuffs like 1518, 2499 or 5970, I would advice only buying from an AD for any current products that are still in production.

With regards to 6119 requiring 75k of purchase history to get on the list, tell them to FLY A KITE and go somewhere else. 6119 should be possible to get on the list without requiring that much of a purchase history. Might need 1 or two purchases before to actually get one but not 75k that’s for sure.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 10:36 PM   #3
S``
"TRF" Member

Really depends on your AD, and how you click with certain people (SA)...

I recently stepped into an AD for the first time in 3 years in SG and received the coldest shoulder ever from the PP AD. Was wearing my 5711 bought a long time ago (screws in the bracelet baby lol)... Meant nothing to them... At the same time later on, I see people physically checking out the same calatravas that I was looking to try on (I didn't explicitly ask, but I wasn't offered to try them on as well).

Walked across the street to another AD store of a different hot brand and received a way better experience. Stuck around chatting about watches for an hour or so...

So... There's no real answer... Some SAs are sales machine, others are just more into horology ... Ymmv
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 11:08 PM   #4
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Obviously YMMV and varies heavily store to store.

My guess would be that it counts some, but counts less than buying undesirable PP reference they have for sale new to hit their quotas. More importantly, I think you'll find the real problem is a moving target that changes from year to year where they change the 'rules' on you after you've already spent money.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 08:30 PM   #5
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
It counts for ZERO. The AD gains NOTHING from you spending your money outside their store. The whole purpose of the "spend" is that the AD is making a little (or a lot) more on other items and then feels comfortable selling a hot piece at retail.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2022, 09:20 PM   #6
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

One or more of the following would have to be true:

1. The piece in question was bought from the ADs own pre-owned selection.

2. The piece in question is from some VIP customer of the AD that’s selling with the AD’s blessing.

3. The piece in question is a rare vintage collector’s piece and your AD happens to be a PP Salon.

4. You use the piece as an icebreaker in conjunction with sending it for service through your AD as well as buying some straps/clasp/cufflinks or whatever.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 01:34 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogWatch View Post
Does purchasing a grey market Patek help at all establish a relationship with an AD? At least show that you are interested in the brand? This would not be from an AD that sells pre-owned.
. . .
The Grey Market bypasses the distribution system that Patek has set up for the sale of their products. No AD will look kindly upon you buying outside this system and not supporting them.

Buying a used watch someplace is not the Grey Market.
Old 25 June 2022, 02:27 AM   #8
GCBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400
Never got the "buy crap you dont want so you are allowed to buy the stuff you do"
Just buy what you want and bypass everyone else with additional cash
GCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 02:28 AM   #9
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
but they flat out told me I needed to spend $75k to get on a 6119g list.
Have to admit, I laughed out loud. And I would have done the same in the salesperson's face. This kind of nonsense condition is exactly the kind of thing that would push me into the grey market.

The 6119 is a fine watch (although not to my taste), but it is an entry-level Patek and is desirable mostly because it's new (and as a consequence, in short supply relative to demand, of course).
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 03:11 AM   #10
joa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does purchasing a grey market Patek help at all establish a relationship with an AD?
possibly if you use them as an entry point for PP servicing, but not sure