The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 June 2022, 12:00 PM   #1
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

Would you wear a 5320G in public in Rome?

Despite its low profile, wondering if it might still be a problem. Thanks for any thoughts.
Rmatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 12:16 PM   #2
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Absolutely and without a doubt. Rome, especially the tourist areas, are extremely safe with lots of police with lots of big guns visible. Recently I wore my 5524g EVERYWHERE throughout Rome, even late a night, and never did either or my wife or I feel any unease. Wear your 5320g with complete confidence. Viva Italia!
Old 14 June 2022, 12:26 PM   #3
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

thank you!
Old 14 June 2022, 12:31 PM   #4
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmatlanta View Post
thank you!

Same in NYC or SF I wore a bunch of high end watches all over - I have insurance and a bit of street smarts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 12:59 PM   #5
solarpower44
"TRF" Member

Watch: ExpII,DJ,SubC
You do have to be careful in the tourist areas. There are many reports among Korean travellers of what appears to be a group of women or kids surround, distract, and steal bags, wallets and jewelries.
solarpower44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 04:46 PM   #6
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

In Rome the risk is not getting beaten up and robbed but rather getting it stolen by sleight of hand in crowded areas. Think concerted efforts where one spills ice cream on you, ”helps” you wipe it off and a second person then steals the watch while you’re distracted.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 07:03 PM   #7
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Are you going with a big group? Will it be only your significant other and yourself? Does your hotel offer a front desk safe box?

Personally, I wouldn't. I know that watch very well and it is very low-key, but I still wouldn't risk it. Vacations are to relax and not worry about things. A grand comp is a lot of money and if someone spots it you're not going to have a nice time.

If you want to keep it 100% safe, you'd have to wear long sleeves and avoid walking in the streets at night which takes away a lot of good experiences. You could try to book an Uber from the restaurant to your place but again walking after having some drinks in the Trastevere area is fun.

Just go with something less expensive, consider something you would feel comfortable giving away if someone stops you for it so things don't go violent. Let's pray the people that try to steal from you aren't coked up because they will be violent even if you're cooperating with them.

The other guy replying in the thread maybe was just lucky. Plus, isn't it annoying to have that itch at the end of your brain thinking that the hotel safe isn't that safe, thinking those gypsy kids saw my watch, etc?

Would also not recommend going with a Rolex, as they are universally recognized.

If you go with or without it let us know and share your experience with us, OP.

I hope you have a great time in Rome
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 07:13 PM   #8
Uros
"TRF" Member

Wouldnt on short sleeves, travel should be stress free.

Have Panerai for summer travel and it works perfect for last ten years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2022, 07:53 PM   #9
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
Are you going with a big group? Will it be only your significant other and yourself? Does your hotel offer a front desk safe box?

Personally, I wouldn't. I know that watch very well and it is very low-key, but I still wouldn't risk it. Vacations are to relax and not worry about things. A grand comp is a lot of money and if someone spots it you're not going to have a nice time.

If you want to keep it 100% safe, you'd have to wear long sleeves and avoid walking in the streets at night which takes away a lot of good experiences. You could try to book an Uber from the restaurant to your place but again walking after having some drinks in the Trastevere area is fun.

Just go with something less expensive, consider something you would feel comfortable giving away if someone stops you for it so things don't go violent. Let's pray the people that try to steal from you aren't coked up because they will be violent even if you're cooperating with them.

The other guy replying in the thread maybe was just lucky. Plus, isn't it annoying to have that itch at the end of your brain thinking that the hotel safe isn't that safe, thinking those gypsy kids saw my watch, etc?

Would also not recommend going with a Rolex, as they are universally recognized.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this. I truly appreciate it.
Old 14 June 2022, 10:56 PM   #10
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I would, 100%. Insurance and some situational awareness go a long way. Things I would NOT wear on this trip: Daytona, GMT II, Nautilus, Royal Oak, Richard Mille.

Wear it, enjoy it, and have a great trip!

P.S. Thought experiment: do the locals who buy their Pateks at Rome Patek Boutique hide their watches at home and only wear them when traveling to other cities? I understand being a bit more mindful when on the road, but there’s no need to be overly worried.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 02:46 AM   #11
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

It’s Rome. You’ll be fine (and yes, I’ve stumbled out of a bar in Trastevere wearing a Patek many many times).
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 04:26 AM   #12
joe&joe
"TRF" Member

Lately Italian major cities are terrible if you want to wear your luxury watch, in Milan I read every day news about stolen watches with the victims being foreign tourist.

Your watch is kind of low profile, however I would be very careful about it, especially if you are not used to be alert for such things.

recent events just this week in Milan, and Rome is not much different:

https://www.milanotoday.it/cronaca/r...o-pellico.html

https://www.milanotoday.it/zone/lore...te-casati.html
joe&joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 04:44 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
In Rome the risk is not getting beaten up and robbed but rather getting it stolen by sleight of hand in crowded areas. Think concerted efforts where one spills ice cream on you, ”helps” you wipe it off and a second person then steals the watch while you’re distracted.
My wife told me she would whack anyone coming close and be nice while we were in Paris.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 06:32 AM   #14
MatteoG
"TRF" Member

No problem. Wear and enjoy
MatteoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 07:34 AM   #15
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I tend keep any high value item at home/safe/bank when I'm off to a completely foreign place I haven't explored before. While other times, strap on whatever I want if I feel like it.

But if you have to ask, then keep your toys at home.

We are all grown adults, if you have any hesitation then keep it safely at home and enjoy your vacation. Seriously fail to understand why people can't just have a good time without their piece of jewelry on their wrist. I don't even bring my wedding ring on a trip cause I'm probably going to be absent minded at some point and misplace it somewhere lol.

Our egos can stay in check for the couple/few weeks away.

Insurance or no insurance, if you already have some reservations in your mind, if something does happen to the piece (damage/theft/etc.) it would bug you fully on the trip. Not saying it will happen in Rome (or any other place), but insurance is meaningless if something does happen and it puts you or your family at risk. You don't want to hit that jackpot.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 08:00 AM   #16
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Have done so several times. I’m comfortable taking a nice watch any place I’m willing to take myself.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 01:57 PM   #17
Nepats81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt View Post

this is 100% correct.

OP leave your watch in the safe enjoy Rome but be safe even without the watch!
Nepats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 10:23 PM   #18
Partekular
"TRF" Member

I wear my 5320 everywhere in the U.K. - it looks like a Timex to the non PP aficionado. That said I wear long sleeved shirts and don’t wave it about on the underground where strap hanging would expose it in all its white gold shining glory.

I never take expensive watches on holiday where Swatch watches come into their own. Also it is not waterproof….

No point tempting fate.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2022, 11:30 PM   #19
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Tourists are easy targets
Old 15 June 2022, 11:45 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I realize this is the Patek forum, but my wife and I travel to Italy once every year or two and we always spend a few days in Rome ... our last trip was in October 2021 and I wore this ... a fair bit more recognized than the Patek in question Pictures are from Venice, but same watch worn for the entire trip.

I've never had an issue traveling with my watches. Part of the fun of wearing for me is to have a nice watch on vacation.

That said, if it makes you uncomfortable, then leave it at home and enjoy your trip

IMG-20211006-WA0009.jpgIMG-20211006-WA0015.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 07:29 AM   #21
Oliver_Wilson
Banned

Rome is generally safe. I can wear Patek safely even here in New York as long as I stay in touristy areas and not move like someone who is a likely target. I am pretty sure you won't appear to be gawking or clueless.
Oliver_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 04:58 PM   #22
kanwind
"TRF" Member

I wear my 5320G everywhere in HK even when I go to drink in bar at night.
but I do not wear it on travel just because it is only 30m water-resistance
kanwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 10:53 PM   #23
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwind View Post
I do not wear it on travel just because it is only 30m water-resistance
Read what 30m water resistance actually means…

https://ijl.ca/blogs/the-jewel/3-thi...ter-resistance
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2022, 07:16 AM   #24
Fifteen
Banned

Only place I wouldn’t wear a nice watch is in SF or Beverly Hills
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 06:05 AM   #25
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

Wore it in Rome all week. Zero problems and a good time. Also wore it into the PP boutique but it did not make anything appear from the vault! Thanks for the advice everyone. My takeaway - daylight and situational awareness take the stress away.
Old 26 June 2022, 12:28 PM   #26
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Great to hear, share a photo of Rome!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote