The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 April 2022, 10:51 AM   #1
rcordeau
"TRF" Member

PP 5235g vs Laurent Ferrier Galet

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, so want to say hello. I'm debating between a couple of watches and wondered what the forum thought. I'm looking at a 5235G as well as a Laurent Ferrier Galet micro rotor in the ice blue. Merits of the PP that I can see are white gold, annual calendar, amazing movement, brand heritage. The LF is amazing as well with the finish and wanting to also support a small independent brand, but time only. Mentally concerned about the longevity of the independent brand, though he seems to be gaining in popularity.
rcordeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 12:12 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Do you own other watches from these brands or are you new to these brands? There is an interesting thought process of going with a well-known brand like Patek vs a small independent brand like LF.

LF makes some interesting pieces for sure. But the 5235G is quite a different watch, being Patek's first regulator wristwatch, with a new movement created for this watch. I have owned the 5235G for 7+ years and it is a fabulous watch!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 12:31 AM   #3
sameer222
"TRF" Member

Watch: PatekRolexAPLange
LF's order book is full till the end of 2024 for what it's worth.
sameer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 12:49 AM   #4
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Go with Patek
Old 16 April 2022, 03:11 AM   #5
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I am sure I’d get used to a regulator, but having to look in two places on a watch for hours and minutes seems like a bad idea to me.
Old 16 April 2022, 04:41 AM   #6
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

May just be bad lack, but I had multiple issues with my Laurent Ferrier, ended up selling
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2022, 05:50 AM   #7
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

The Patek for me. Very interesting watch that’s off the beaten track and that will have a special place in any collection even years from now.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 04:31 AM   #8
iceshark
Banned

Patek
iceshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 05:44 PM   #9
clkol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 372
Go with the Patek. It is truly an extraordinary piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8936-2.jpg (209.4 KB, 933 views)
clkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 11:00 PM   #10
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Agree with the recommendation to go for the Patek.

Disclaimer: I am biased as a happy owner of the 5235G
d-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 11:21 PM   #11
David001
Banned

Personally I'd go with the LF if the choice was between the two, the 5235G is a tough watch to love if it doesn't immediately capture your heart.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 01:04 AM   #12
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Patek anyday - LFs use of movements from La Fabrique du Temps (LVMH) does not sit well with me personally.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 05:48 AM   #13
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Patek for sure and 5235g is discontinued.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 12:53 PM   #14
KWSub
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
The 5235, all day any day. I believe this is the most beautiful and impressive watch Patek Philippe makes under about $75k.

Although I prefer the R to the G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KWSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 01:19 PM   #15
nickorette
"TRF" Member

I'd go LF. That movement is worth the price of admission alone. Not a fan of Patek's complication windows, looks very out of place. Also, brushed steel dials always look cheap to me.
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 07:08 AM   #16
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800/1J
So full disclosure have a 5235r and a LF regulator in steel. Regulator dials are for folks who really appreciate them so let’s get that out of the way. 5235 and Galet both have amazing movements - no question. I wouldn’t pay attention to those who disparage LF movements when LF helped create and style many of them during his career at Patek. Personally I think it’s down to aesthetic- independent vs once a small brand independent. I love both brands but LF os here to stay and going places. It’s easy to see how he is PP 50 years ago which lends a different excitement. Either way go with you heart because it will end up being something you keep and cherish instead of selling in 4 years time. IMHO
flava_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2022, 08:23 AM   #17
Oryx
"TRF" Member

No one is disparaging LF but there are some naive comments and misunderstanding as it relates to LF and what the brand produces.

Movements are made by a third party that is part of the LVMH group which produces movements in volume and for a number of watch makers.

Laurent was a very revered watch maker whilst at Patek and LF also do some interesting things such as the dials etc.

But in this day an age when there seems to be so many so called independent watch makers out there it’s important that collectors are fully informed.

If you want a watch from truly independent fully integrated watch maker then you need to look at the likes of Voutilainen. They make the case, dial and movements all in house and there watches are a very different proposition to brands that buy movements which they the finish and case.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2022, 05:10 AM   #18
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800/1J
That’s a fair comment. LF designs the movements from scratch completely on his own but yes production is not done at LF. It’s an interesting topic when thinking back to time when JLC made movements for many independents of that era. I wouldn’t hold it against them personally but with a small team and production of maybe 2-300 watches I can understand why. The fact that Voutilanen and FPJ do it in house also affects the price point at which the pieces can be offered.
Cheers.

flava_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2022, 01:49 AM   #19
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Just seeing this thread now. The concept that "in-house" movements somehow make a watch better or more valuable is an over-generalization and in many cases not true. Patek's "in-house" movement is not "better" than Fabrique du Temps. Period end. If anything, the opposite is more likely true.

Either way, I think "better" is a silly argument. The true artistic value a watches movement is in the design and the quality of its finish. Both of which LF does "in-house."
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 03:18 AM   #20
rcordeau
"TRF" Member

Well, here they are on a couple of wrist shots. I put them both on the same strap just to not have the strap affect the dial perception. The LF is really elegant - very refined and lovely all around. In steel, I was surprised as to how light it was. Also, polished everywhere, which makes me think it'll be a scratch magnet. The color is really striking, but there were times in the light that the reflections obscured the hands and I couldn't read the dial. The processing of the photo makes the blue appear more "blue" that it is - it is rather light blue. The LF movement is absolutely beautiful. You can tell they put a lot of effort into the finishing. The Patek movement is also stunning. With the dial (color and more interesting to look at) and the case design, the Patek feels a bit more versatile - can be dressed up and can be a bit easier to dress down. Though I have probably two more days to change my mind, I think I will be sticking with the Patek. I believe I'll wear it more often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0492.jpeg (188.5 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0503.jpeg (245.0 KB, 460 views)
rcordeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 07:36 AM   #21
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Both look fantastic. Can't go wrong.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 12:21 PM   #22
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcordeau View Post
Well, here they are on a couple of wrist shots. I put them both on the same strap just to not have the strap affect the dial perception. The LF is really elegant - very refined and lovely all around. In steel, I was surprised as to how light it was. Also, polished everywhere, which makes me think it'll be a scratch magnet. The color is really striking, but there were times in the light that the reflections obscured the hands and I couldn't read the dial. The processing of the photo makes the blue appear more "blue" that it is - it is rather light blue. The LF movement is absolutely beautiful. You can tell they put a lot of effort into the finishing. The Patek movement is also stunning. With the dial (color and more interesting to look at) and the case design, the Patek feels a bit more versatile - can be dressed up and can be a bit easier to dress down. Though I have probably two more days to change my mind, I think I will be sticking with the Patek. I believe I'll wear it more often.

Aesthetically Patek for sure. Don’t know too
Much about LF and design doesn’t speak to me as much.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 01:34 PM   #23
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

The dial on the LF is really great.

Sent from my XQ-AS62 using Tapatalk
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote