The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 June 2022, 08:52 AM   #61
enthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
Pretty much so, with a budget of around 20-25k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that is the case, wouldn't it make sense to go for the Nautilus that was offered to you?
enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 10:58 AM   #62
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Any skilled watchmaker with a lathe can make parts as needed.

Laser welding a steel case is also quite simple.

As for the dial you can sometimes find loose factory non service dials for sale from dealers.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 12:43 AM   #63
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusiast View Post
If that is the case, wouldn't it make sense to go for the Nautilus that was offered to you?

Yes, hence this thread as there are many options I could go with this piece if I decided to get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 12:51 AM   #64
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
Any skilled watchmaker with a lathe can make parts as needed.

Laser welding a steel case is also quite simple.

As for the dial you can sometimes find loose factory non service dials for sale from dealers.

So I'm now more inclined to go option B where I service the movement, repair the case and leave the hands and dial as is. But before all that, I'm waiting for the price to go down to the 80k Mark, that's my max comfort level for this piece.

I also learnt from servicing my wife's 5066, patek made you signed a disclaimer that they can't guarantee not to replace the hands although I sepcifically asked NOT to replace both hands and dial. They said when taking off the hands, there are possibilities that they would get damaged and it will compromise the watch accuracy.

If that happened, Patek has the right to replace them without needing to get my approval.

Maybe that's why we often see vintage pieces with original to the watch dial but with service luminova hands

Old 26 June 2022, 12:53 AM   #65
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Indeed. I saw one with Beyer stamp but touched up a little bit asking for 28k

Old 26 June 2022, 02:22 AM   #66
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Would be A and agree I’d wait them out on price. I don’t see an even desirable patina on this dial to suggest it’s something worth preserving. That’s just me though. I realize the motto is generally leave it alone. Not for me.
Old 26 June 2022, 04:57 AM   #67
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Like all vintage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... Everyone appreciates different things. You want to just have a Nautilus on your wrist that looks the part (or any vintage watch that just looks the part) then service parts/not period correct mismashes are just fine. You're an enthusiast that loves originality? Then it's another rabbit hole in making sure it's as correct/original as possible. Patina and wear is another category that's different for everyone....I am not written down with this type of wear on the dial but I know many that may love it and appreciate the passage of time including the bumps along the road.

Bottom line op, if you buy the watch do what you want to make yourself happy.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 08:45 PM   #68
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Quote:
Not sure if they're refinishing the dial but what I found out so far, for beaten up dial, if the owner doesn't mind it got changed, Patek will install a service dial with 'Swiss' only marking and all luminova lumes.

As for cases and bracelets, yes they still have stocks of blank cases (which they'll re-engraved the serial) or they make new ones.

If you decide to send it in to Patek, I would get a couple of different estimates. I would ask the cost to refinish the dial, which will be an original dial. And cost to replace the dial. Again if the case is the destroyed the cost to replace. But they can do some AMAZING case refinishing. LASER welding.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 08:48 PM   #69
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
Quote:
So I'm now more inclined to go option B where I service the movement, repair the case and leave the hands and dial as is. But before all that, I'm waiting for the price to go down to the 80k Mark, that's my max comfort level for this piece.

I also learnt from servicing my wife's 5066, patek made you signed a disclaimer that they can't guarantee not to replace the hands although I sepcifically asked NOT to replace both hands and dial. They said when taking off the hands, there are possibilities that they would get damaged and it will compromise the watch accuracy.

If that happened, Patek has the right to replace them without needing to get my approval.

Maybe that's why we often see vintage pieces with original to the watch dial but with service luminova hands

I have NEVER had to sign such a statement.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2022, 11:18 PM   #70
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
If you decide to send it in to Patek, I would get a couple of different estimates. I would ask the cost to refinish the dial, which will be an original dial. And cost to replace the dial. Again if the case is the destroyed the cost to replace. But they can do some AMAZING case refinishing. LASER welding.

I'm not aware if Patek has a dial refinishing service. Anyone has any experiences?

I'm currently having my 3700 two tone in service by Patek Geneve and they said my case is compromised and they need to change with a new case and it cost usd10k. They didn't offer case refinishing to rectify the case problem. They do offer case and bracelet polishing however.

Old 27 June 2022, 05:05 AM   #71
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
According to Phillips and I quote "it's a serendipity of a wrong paint mixture equivalent to the discovery of penicillin"
Yeah. According to me, that dial is badly damaged. Patina is one thing, wreckage is another.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 05:21 PM   #72
sherpastar
"TRF" Member

Option B, no question. I actually am liking the condition of the dial, and would not refinish or replace it under any circumstances.
sherpastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2022, 04:49 PM   #73
Roccio
"TRF" Member

Option B if you must get it. I'd personally pay no more than 70k for the piece tho. No matter how well the watch gets refinished, a polished watch is no match in value to its unpolished counterpart. Plus I kind of like the unique look of the watch as it is -- stands apart from all the generic genta blue faced watches that seem to be flooding the market nowadays.
Roccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 12:58 AM   #74
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Just an update: seller's last price is 83k and I'm thinking to close the deal. However, there's an offer for 5711 2011 fullset for 86k.

I like both and price is similar.

Opinions please

Old 2 July 2022, 02:44 AM   #75
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think I’d take the 5711. His price on the 3700 is just too high imho. If the 5711 is in nice shape, you will have an iconic watch for a price that seems pretty compelling with respect to recent market changes. If you did decide to buy the 3700, if it were me, I’d have to be comfortable living with a watch that will never be anything more than a heavily used watch in its original state, which as I noted earlier, has a definite charm. Or, you could have it restored to a like-new appearing watch that might lose much of its charm.

Only you can know for sure what speaks to you both now and down the line.
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 09:21 AM   #76
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

With the secondary market falling that dealer will probably come down even more for both those models.
Old 2 July 2022, 12:04 PM   #77
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
I think I’d take the 5711. His price on the 3700 is just too high imho. If the 5711 is in nice shape, you will have an iconic watch for a price that seems pretty compelling with respect to recent market changes. If you did decide to buy the 3700, if it were me, I’d have to be comfortable living with a watch that will never be anything more than a heavily used watch in its original state, which as I noted earlier, has a definite charm. Or, you could have it restored to a like-new appearing watch that might lose much of its charm.

Only you can know for sure what speaks to you both now and down the line.

The 5711 isn't perfect either. Notable ding on the bezel and scuffs here and there. I wasn't really considering 5711 until an offer came and it's really tempting at 86k BP.

First World problem

Old 2 July 2022, 12:09 PM   #78
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With the secondary market falling that dealer will probably come down even more for both those models.

Yes prices are still on the high side compare to early last year but problem is, real Patek owners here don't really care about the value so we see no panic selling.

Only a handfull small time investors / greys that got their hands burned and want to exit to minimise loss that's offering a couple of pieces in the market.

Old 2 July 2022, 02:23 PM   #79
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

What’s the dial color?

As far as I can see things are just beginning to drop off. I have no crystal ball and I reworked my tin foil hat to bake some chicken, but I think that the current trends will continue for some time yet.

Anyways, it would be great to see a picture of the 5711 if you have one.
Old 2 July 2022, 03:06 PM   #80
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes prices are still on the high side compare to early last year but problem is, real Patek owners here don't really care about the value so we see no panic selling.

Only a handfull small time investors / greys that got their hands burned and want to exit to minimise loss that's offering a couple of pieces in the market.

I've definitely noticed Pateks are moving slower on Chrono24, etc. Things like the 3800 for example.
Old 2 July 2022, 08:26 PM   #81
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
What’s the dial color?

As far as I can see things are just beginning to drop off. I have no crystal ball and I reworked my tin foil hat to bake some chicken, but I think that the current trends will continue for some time yet.

Anyways, it would be great to see a picture of the 5711 if you have one.

Yes I feel the same too. Although prices have come down, it's still way above last year or two.

Old 2 July 2022, 08:29 PM   #82
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've definitely noticed Pateks are moving slower on Chrono24, etc. Things like the 3800 for example.

Same happening in the greys here. Rolex on the other hands are still moving albeit slow.

Patek has been really almost no transactions maybe because the higher entry price point and not many people care to sell

Old 2 July 2022, 11:35 PM   #83
Roccio
"TRF" Member

That 5711 looks to be in a fairly good condition unless that blemish on the watch's glass center is a scratch. While 3700 is a classic, 83k is a bit too much for a watch in that condition.

As for 3800s I remember a full set steel blue dial example was around 20k or so before covid, so they have appreciated in (asking) value much more than 3700. No wonder they are moving slow at 60k and above, if at all.
Roccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 02:13 AM   #84
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes I feel the same too. Although prices have come down, it's still way above last year or two.

I have to say at these prices the 5711 looks pretty attractive.
Old 3 July 2022, 01:58 PM   #85
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccio View Post
That 5711 looks to be in a fairly good condition unless that blemish on the watch's glass center is a scratch. While 3700 is a classic, 83k is a bit too much for a watch in that condition.

As for 3800s I remember a full set steel blue dial example was around 20k or so before covid, so they have appreciated in (asking) value much more than 3700. No wonder they are moving slow at 60k and above, if at all.

I know it's a lot to ask especially you have an option for 5711 only for 3k more. However in my heart, I've always have a soft spot for vintage and I'm not sure another 3700 will come up for sale ever again here.

Old 10 December 2022, 12:10 AM   #86
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Update:

I finally bought it and send to Patek Geneve for a quote. After about 8 weeks they send me this

- overhaul usd1.5k
- case is too worn and must be replaced usd10k
- dial refinish/restoration usd 1.7k
- new bracelet usd6k

So total is almost 20k

Thoughts?

Old 11 December 2022, 02:49 AM   #87
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Find another steel 3700
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 09:46 AM   #88
okie4455
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Casio
Seems to me if you like the charm of it, clean up the movement and wear it as it. Do they let you pick and choose what is done to it or is it all or none?
okie4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 10:16 AM   #89
noyraf
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex daytona
Option B for me
noyraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2022, 10:26 AM   #90
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 3800, AP 14800
Honestly, other than option B, I don’t see why you bought this particular one. If you like the charm of it, option B is the only way to go.

jesulaiman is offline   Reply With Quote