The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 July 2022, 09:43 AM   #1
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
Help with 5196 215 ps movement?

Just purchased a pre-owned 5196g from respected brick and mortar. All seemed great but I find the winding to be extremely stiff, practically struggling to turn the crown to wind (but is very smooth turning crown counter-clockwise).

Also, the crown does not pull out easily - I have owned several manual winds between a 5124, Lange, and JLC and this feels completely different. I have to really fiddle with it and turn the crown counter-clockwise a couple of times to get it to pull out to the position to change the time.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong or it may just need to be checked out (came with warranty).

Input appreciated.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 02:36 PM   #2
Nicof
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona88 View Post
Just purchased a pre-owned 5196g from respected brick and mortar. All seemed great but I find the winding to be extremely stiff, practically struggling to turn the crown to wind (but is very smooth turning crown counter-clockwise).

Also, the crown does not pull out easily - I have owned several manual winds between a 5124, Lange, and JLC and this feels completely different. I have to really fiddle with it and turn the crown counter-clockwise a couple of times to get it to pull out to the position to change the time.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong or it may just need to be checked out (came with warranty).

Input appreciated.

Hi, no it shouldn’t be as stiff as you’ve described. If anything I find mine to be slightly on the loose side. I’d have it checked out to make sure all is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 04:25 PM   #3
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona88 View Post

Input appreciated.
What you have described doesn’t sound right. Consider approaching the seller with your concerns. A respected seller should acknowledge and try to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2022, 09:11 PM   #4
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Nope, not right, get it checked. Sorry to hear this!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 10:20 AM   #5
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
That doesn’t sound right. Personally I would send it to Patek for a service. That way you get papers in your name when it’s done.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 09:55 PM   #6
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

I own the 5196g, it winds silky and smoothly, sounds like something is wrong with your unit.

As others have noted, try sending it to Patek/Henri Stern Agency in NYC, or you could also try LA Watchworks (I have no personal experience with them but they seem to be well regarded around here).

Hope you get the issue resolved, probably won't be too hard to fix, and worth the while as it's a very nice watch. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 12:17 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
How old is the watch? It may be just need a full service which PP recommends every five years.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2022, 07:21 AM   #8
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

Not the correct feel based on my experience.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote