The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2018, 04:24 AM   #1
elee617
"TRF" Member

Trying to decide b/t a Hulk and Batman? Please read.

So I've owned the BLNR since 2014 and it was my everyday wearer ever since and I absolutely love it. But I came across a Hulk at retail last week and, even though I must admit it was a watch that never really crossed my mind, at the current state of unavailability of steel sports models in Asia, I felt compelled to buy it. I've been through my handful of different steel Rolexes during my life, Explorer 216570 black, Sub 116610LN, Datejust 116334 blue, BLNR and now Hulk. For those of you considering one or the other and now that I'm a proud/extremely lucky owner of both here's my take (apologies in advance of the stock photos it won't let me download pics of from my phone) in a heavyweight by round format:

Attachment 952248

Attachment 9522493)

Attachment 952250

1) Dial: Hands down, the Hulk. I never thought I would like a green dialed watch but wow, is it bright and vibrant yet somehow subtle in certain lower lights. The black BLNR dial is gloss and standard on other Rolex models while the green is just so unique. It really does change shades depending on angles.

Hulk 10
BLNR 8

2) Bezel, slight edge to BLNR. The blue/black combo for night and day makes perfect sense. The black sometimes appears shiny gun-metal color while the blue adds a depth to the entire watch. The bezel is, however, a bit busy with a full 24 hour gradation. The Hulk's dial is a but powdery and stays flat in color. But it is green and pops like a crisp $100 bill.

Hulk 9
BLNR 10

3) Bracelet, massive edge to the Hulk. The Hulk's glidelock absolutely rocks. And the fully brushed links do scratch (I know this firsthand since I owned the LN for three years) but they do not show nearly as much as the polished links. My BLNR has lots of very noticeable swirls and hairline scratches all over the place. I'd give this a 10-7 round but the considerably larger buckle on the Hulk makes that more a scratch magnet.

Hulk 10
BLNR 8

4) Dimensions, edge to the Hulk. The crown guards are a hair bigger and it sits a touch higher on the wrist making the proportions of the watch feel a bit more appropriate.

Hulk 10
BLNR 9

5) Functionality, big edge to the BLNR. Now, I do go diving about once a year but I always use an electronic dive watch that reads much better and also gives me detailed info on elapsed time and current and past depth. And c'mon, who ever dives more than 100m? The GMT has more than enough water resistance for 99.99999% of people on earth. The GMT, for a traveler like me works perfectly. Anyone who has ever gotten on a plane and gone to another time zone can use the GMT. Unless, you're timing your parking meter, the GMT will always be more functional to the general public.

Hulk 8
BLNR 10

6) Wow factor, slight edge Hulk. I've gotten so many compliments and inquiries about where I got the BLNR over the years here in Asia I've lost count. But in the week I've owned the Hulk I've gotten about 5 "hey where'd you get that?" from friends and family.

Hulk 10
BLNR 9

7) Investment potential, edge to the BLNR. Now this is going to be a controversial round but here's my take. The Sub is the only fully green watch in the entire Rolex lineup but it is a monochrome bezel and it is a sub that is due for a refresh soon. They will likely change the movement and the first model they could refresh is the Hulk. The new Pepsi BLRO on Jubliee doesn't effect the BLNR at all. Different colors, bracelet and bezel. And some don't like the slightly weird blue on the bezel on that one. Everyone seems to like the blue on the BLNR. Yes, the Hulk has seen a massive spike in second hand and gray markets but that is mostly due to speculation about it's potential discontinue. And it's been out for 8 years while the BLNR has been out for 5 meaning there are more of them on the open market. Will the Hulk hold it's value? Most likely. But it is selling for $2500 USD over retail right now and that's based on speculation over a high demand watch that at one point was not popular at all. The BLNR has been hot since it's inception in 2013 and is the first bi-color ceramic bezel Rolex ever introduced.

Hulk 9
BLNR 10

8) Overall versatility: BLNR. I personally could wear the BLNR with a tux (as I did for my wedding last year) or at with jeans and a T-Shirt. I would never wear my Hulk with a tux or with a suit for that matter. A green watch with a tux? Maybe the Milguass, not the Hulk.

Hulk 9
Blnr 10

If this were an 8 Round heavyweight "Watchup" final score would be a 75-74 victory for the Hulk.

Anyone have a different scorecard?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5022.JPG (87.1 KB, 1047 views)
elee617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:25 AM   #2
tangsuva
"TRF" Member

If you can afford both, that is the simple answer. But if you HAD to choose one.... Hulk by a slight margin. Both amazing pieces
tangsuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:40 AM   #3
airpeace
Banned

very nice write up.
airpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:41 AM   #4
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

only one, blnr for versatility, but get both if you have the option to get at retail
Old 19 May 2018, 04:41 AM   #5
Yeldraw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I think I would have to go with the Hulk. Love that green dial and bezel.

I saw one at Dubai airport a couple of years ago but it was about £300 more expensive than in the UK at the time so I didn't buy it.

I've got sore shins now...from kicking myself
Yeldraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:51 AM   #6
elee617
"TRF" Member

I did not want to make this mistake. I love the BLNR but had mixed emotions about the Hulk. There was no way I wad going to pass up the chance to buy it. But now that I have both, I have to make a decision as to which one I put on in the morning.

And that's a GOOD thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elee617 View Post
So I've owned the BLNR since 2014 and it was my everyday wearer ever since and I absolutely love it. But I came across a Hulk at retail last week and, even though I must admit it was a watch that never really crossed my mind, at the current state of unavailability of steel sports models in Asia, I felt compelled to buy it. I've been through my handful of different steel Rolexes during my life, Explorer 216570 black, Sub 116610LN, Datejust 116334 blue, BLNR and now Hulk. For those of you considering one or the other and now that I'm a proud/extremely lucky owner of both here's my take (apologies in advance of the stock photos it won't let me download picsof from my phone) in a heavyweight by round format:

Attachment 952248

Attachment 9522493)

Attachment 952250

1) Dial: Hands down, the Hulk. I never thought I would like a green dialed watch but wow, is it bright and vibrant yet somehow subtle in certain lower lights. The black BLNR dial is gloss and standard on other Rolex models while the green is just so unique. It really does change shades depending on angles.

Hulk 10
BLNR 8

2) Bezel, slight edge to BLNR. The blue/black combo for night and day makes perfect sense. The black sometimes appears shiny gun-metal color while the blue adds a certain depth to the entire watch. The Hulk's dial is a but powdery and stays flat in color. But it is green and pops like a crisp $100 bill.

Hulk 9
BLNR 10

3) Bracelet, massive edge to the Hulk. The Hulk's glidelock absolutely rocks. And the fully polished links do scratch (I know this firsthand since I owned the LN for three years) but they do not show nearly as much as the polished links. My BLNR has lots of very noticeable swirls and hairline scratches all over the place. I'd give this a 10-7 round but the considerably larger buckle on the Hulk makes that more a scratch magnet.

Hulk 10
BLNR 8

4) Dimensions, edge to the Hulk. The crown guards are a hair bigger and it sits a touch higher on the wrist making the proportions of the watch feel a bit more appropriate.

Hulk 10
BLNR 9

5) Functionality, big edge to the BLNR. Now, I do go diving about once a year but I always use an electronic dive watch that reads much better and also gives me detailed info on elapsed time and current and past depth. And c'mon, who ever dives more than 100m? The GMT has more than enough water resistance for 99.99999% of people on earth. The GMT, for a traveler like me works perfectly. Anyone who has ever gotten on a plane and gone to another time zone can use the GMT. Unless, you're timing your parking meter, the GMT will always be more functional to the general public.

Hulk 8
BLNR 10

6) Wow factor, slight edge Hulk. I've gotten so many compliments and inquiries about where I got the BLNR over the years here in Asia I've lost count. But in the week I've owned the Hulk I've gotten about 5 "hey where'd you get that?" from friends and family.

Hulk 10
BLNR 9

7) Investment potential, edge to the BLNR. Now this is going to be a controversial round but here's my take. The Sub is the only fully green watch in the entire Rolex lineup but it is a monochrome bezel and it is a sub that is due for a refresh soon. They will likely change the movement and the first model they could refresh is the Hulk. The new Pepsi BLRO on Jubliee doesn't effect the BLNR at all. Different colors, bracelet and bezel. And some don't like the slightly weird blue on the bezel on that one. Everyone seems to like the blue on the BLNR. Yes, the Hulk has seen a massive spike in second hand and gray markets but that is mostly due to speculation about it's potential discontinue. And it's been out for 8 years while the BLNR has been out for 5 meaning there are more of them on the open market. Will the Hulk hold it's value? Most likely. But it is selling for $2500 USD over retail right now and that's based on speculation over a high demand watch that at one point was not popular at all. The BLNR has been hot since it's inception in 2013 and is the first bi-color ceramic bezel Rolex ever introduced.

Hulk 9
BLNR 10

8) Overall versatility: BLNR. I personally could wear the BLNR with a tux (as I did for my wedding last year) or at with jeans and a T-Shirt. I would never wear my Hulk with a tux or with a suit for that matter. A green watch with a tux? Maybe the Milguass, not the Hulk.

Hulk 9
Blnr 10

If this were an 8 Round heavyweight "Watchup" final score would be a 75-74 victory for the Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldraw View Post
I think I would have to go with the Hulk. Love that green dial and bezel.

I saw one at Dubai airport a couple of years ago but it was about £300 more expensive than in the UK at the time so I didn't buy it.

I've got sore shins now...from kicking myself
Old 19 May 2018, 05:04 AM   #7
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Nice comparison I have both I couldn’t part with either it’s like choosing your favorite child lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:07 AM   #8
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Nice analytical breakdown. For me, I prefer to go more with my gut and what sings. When I tune everything else out, I can usually hear which one sings louder. Obviously a personal preference, but for me, that would be the LVC.
At the end of the day, I don't bother using a GMT function and prefer the simplicity of the Sub bezel and 3 hands as opposed to 4.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:15 AM   #9
elee617
"TRF" Member

What's odd for me is that when the Hulk came out in 2010, I didn't fall in love with it right away. I fell in in love with the BLNR the second it was introduced. There was nothing gradual with the BLNR, it was love at first sight.

That is why I think the Hulk will not be as much of a collector's item 10 years later. Kinda like the difference in 2000's 5 digit GMTs and 5 digit subs.

Quote:
So I've owned the BLNR since 2014 and it was my everyday wearer ever since and I absolutely love it. But I came across a Hulk at retail last week and, even though I must admit it was a watch that never really crossed my mind, at the current state of unavailability of steel sports models in Asia, I felt compelled to buy it. I've been through my handful of different steel Rolexes during my life, Explorer 216570 black, Sub 116610LN, Datejust 116334 blue, BLNR and now Hulk. For those of you considering one or the other and now that I'm a proud/extremely lucky owner of both here's my take (apologies in advance of the stock photos it won't let me download pics of from my phone) in a heavyweight by round format:

Attachment 952248

Attachment 9522493)

Attachment 952250

Hulk 10
BLNR 8

2) Bezel, slight edge to BLNR. The blue/black combo for night and day makes perfect sense. The black sometimes appears shiny gun-metal color while the blue adds a depth to the entire watch. The bezel is, however, a bit busy with a full 24 hour gradation. The Hulk's dial is a but powdery and stays flat in color. But it is green and pops like a crisp $100 bill.

Hulk 9
BLNR 10

3) Bracelet, massive edge to the Hulk. The Hulk's glidelock absolutely rocks. And the fully polished links do scratch (I know this firsthand since I owned the LN for three years) but they do not show nearly as much as the polished links. My BLNR has lots of very noticeable swirls and hairline scratches all over the place. I'd give this a 10-7 round but the considerably larger buckle on the Hulk makes that more a scratch magnet.

Hulk 10
BLNR 8

Hulk 10
BLNR 9

Hulk 8
BLNR 10

Hulk 10
BLNR 9

Hulk 9
BLNR 10

Hulk 9
Blnr 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
Nice comparison I have both I couldn’t part with either it’s like choosing your favorite child lol

Old 19 May 2018, 05:18 AM   #10
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Too much brain, math and logic applied to make a decision that should be made with your heart.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:43 AM   #11
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I like them both and wear them both for different reasons. I’ve never ‘scored’ any of my watches - as I really have just always bought what I like - and for that reason only, not as an ‘investment’, not because it is the hot item to have, just because I like it. And this is regardless of manufacturer.

And if I were to be perfectly honest — the professional Rolex model that gets the most wrist time out of the entire collection is the 114060. Pure and simple. Over the Hulk, BLNR, Daytonas etc. The next Rolex, probably the Blue dial DJ41.

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:48 AM   #12
EmilA
"TRF" Member

I’m lucky enough to have both too. and I do find myself going for the LV more than the BLNR, though the BLNR does fit into every scenario quite well, and I have owned the BLNR longer too. Both are keepers
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:51 AM   #13
elee617
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post

I don't think I would part with either at this point either. I guess what's odd to me is that I fell in love with the BLNR at it's inception in 2013 but didn't fall in love with the Hulk till 8 years after it came out in 2010. The BLNR never sold for under it's retail price while the Hulk regularly did until about a year ago. And yes the Hulk is now trading a tad more than the BLNR but let's not forget it actually for sold for UNDER retail at one point back in 2013.

I'm still a bigger fan of Subs over GMTs. However, if anyone has any doubts about either watch, no worries, I hope I've made substantial cases for both. They're both winners for sure.
Old 19 May 2018, 05:52 AM   #14
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Good write up but I’m not a fan of the Hulk so my preference between the two would be the GMT.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 06:09 AM   #15
elee617
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
Good write up but I’m not a fan of the Hulk so my preference between the two would be the GMT.
BLNR or Hulk for future value and why?
Old 19 May 2018, 07:19 AM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Who cares about future value if your buying for your enjoyment to keep.
If you're just buying for "investment" then who cares which one, buy both and hide them in some safe for the next guy to enjoy.

I've owned both of these two, and I would pick the BLNR.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 07:57 AM   #17
Brazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15300/BLNR/SubC LV
Guess I'll just have to get both
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 08:03 AM   #18
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
How can you seriously compare green with blue?!!!
It is either green or blue. There can be no comparison!
*grin*
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 08:27 AM   #19
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
green hulk all the way
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:50 AM   #20
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:

I’m with what Rashid commented on. If you’re looking for someone thing with future value you’re rolling the dice between the two, my guess would be BLNR.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 04:38 AM   #21
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Hulk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 05:03 AM   #22
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachopc View Post
Hulk
Because it's the King?
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 05:05 AM   #23
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I chose the Hulk! It sings to me. I got bored of the blnr but not the hulk. It’s just so special! I love it!
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #24
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
BLNR for sure.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 06:35 AM   #25
Jaysea
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated. I will post once I make my mind up which one I really want. Thanks again.
Jaysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:30 AM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's all subjective...

And for what it's worth, it's a "neither" for me.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:40 AM   #27
peterpl
Banned

Pass on both. Get an SD43 heaps better than either of them in my eyes.

Or even better get a 116613LB Bluesy which is even better and more special.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:51 AM   #28
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Good write up and evaluation. My only comment is the BLNR could be in line for an update this year, or in the next couple. The new SS BLRO is the only GMT that received the new movement in '18 so it makes sense they would put that movement in all the varieties of the GMT. I'd be surprised if the Sub LV bezel or dial were changed given how popular it is. I agree all Subs are likely due for a new movement, the same as in the SD43 and DSSD, or a variant of it as I don't know if it will fit in the Sub cases.

I agree with your conclusion, I prefer the LV over the BLNR.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:56 AM   #29
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysea View Post
Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated. I will post once I make my mind up which one I really want. Thanks again.
What are you talking about? This was not your thread. Just because your other thread got a cold response, you decide to bump this one, posing as the OP and hoping people won’t notice? Pretty lame. Well, you got that part right.....most of the people on here won’t notice. They won’t even notice it’s an old thread that got bumped.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 08:59 AM   #30
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It's all subjective...

And for what it's worth, it's a "neither" for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Pass on both. Get an SD43 heaps better than either of them in my eyes.

Or even better get a 116613LB Bluesy which is even better and more special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Good write up and evaluation. My only comment is the BLNR could be in line for an update this year, or in the next couple. The new SS BLRO is the only GMT that received the new movement in '18 so it makes sense they would put that movement in all the varieties of the GMT. I'd be surprised if the Sub LV bezel or dial were changed given how popular it is. I agree all Subs are likely due for a new movement, the same as in the SD43 and DSSD, or a variant of it as I don't know if it will fit in the Sub cases.

I agree with your conclusion, I prefer the LV over the BLNR.
This is an old thread guys. It was bumped by a guy who already started a Batman vs Hulk thread today, and I’m guessing decided to bump this one in an effort to get more replies to his question of which model people prefer.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote