The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 August 2018, 12:05 AM   #1
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Help with 16520 please

Hello

I'm hoping that someone can help with some advice about a problem I'm having with my 16520 Daytona.

I bought the watch a few months ago and it's a 1992 model.

The watch generally runs OK, it tends to consistently gain about 10 secs per day with my normal wear. The problem comes when I use the chronograph. Again this usually does not cause any problems except for a reoccurring quirk. I sometimes like to start the chronology at 12 o'clock. I did this at lunch time today. I checked the watch then and it was spot on time, now, exactly three hours later, the watch has lost nine minutes!!!

I have just contacted Rolex's UK HQ at St James's Square and someone in their service department told me that this does come up but very rarely, and can be a real problem to solve.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before and / or has had any experience of how to fix this?

I informed the dealer I bought the watch off soon after I bought it that there was something not right about the watch and they took it back and had it serviced by 'their' watch maker. Obviously whatever the problems is has not been rectified.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 08:45 PM   #2
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
My 116520 recently did this. At night the power reserve would only last until about 3 AM when chronograph running too. It was sent back to Rolex and received a full service and it all works perfectly now.

When I studied mine with the chrono running the minute hand on the chrono would run the same as the centre seconds hand, racking up hours on the registers when only actually running for minutes. They didn't give me the exact details about what was occuring but a service rectified the problem.

Good luck.
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 12:06 AM   #3
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
It appears that when the chronology is started the watch will randomly loose about 8 minutes then resumes keeping normal time again after a couple of hours. It's as if starting the chrono creates some heavy drag on the mechanism which then evens out after a couple of hours?????
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:35 AM   #4
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
It might be something as simple as just needing to be demagnetized. OTOH, it's over 25 years old. If it hasn't been serviced, then it is probably on its last legs and you're easily looking at $1000+ if Rolex does it.
Old 19 August 2018, 01:27 AM   #5
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
It appears that when the chronology is started the watch will randomly loose about 8 minutes then resumes keeping normal time again after a couple of hours. It's as if starting the chrono creates some heavy drag on the mechanism which then evens out after a couple of hours?????
Your watch probably needs service. I would either take it to a reputable watch repair center or send it to the Rolex Service Center.

The longer you wear a watch needing service the costlier the repair will become in the long run.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 06:38 PM   #6
sherrytang
"TRF" Member

its a problem,but I dont know how help you,sorry
sherrytang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 01:30 PM   #7
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
Needs to be demagnetized
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote