The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 June 2018, 07:14 AM   #1
prefontaine
"TRF" Member

What happens to unsold watches on TRF?

I browse the non-Rolex sales forum on TRF a lot. (The Rolex sales forum is not interesting because of current pricing.)

I see so many BNIB pieces from Panerai, Omega, Tudor, Lange, PP, etc. that just languish in there. They are posted, the poster bumps once a week often for more than a month. And no sale.

I also notice that many asking prices are unrealistically high.

So what actually happens to these watches? Do manufacturers have a buy-back channel? Are there auctions for mass goods (a la Mannheim Auctions for cars)?

I really don't think many of these pieces sell well. So what do the sellers do with them?
prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:20 AM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefontaine View Post
So what do the sellers do with them?

Do you mean those being sold by grey markets dealers?
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:21 AM   #3
prefontaine
"TRF" Member

To be honest, most of the sellers -- the ones that post 3 - 5 watches at a time -- seem like part-time amateur brokers, not full-time professionalized greys.
prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:28 AM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be honest, most of the sellers -- the ones that post 3 - 5 watches at a time -- seem like part-time amateur brokers, not full-time professionalized greys.

Well, a grey market dealer is a grey market dealer whether they sell as a hobby or as a business.

I guess what happens to them depends on how they got the watch and what the arrangement is. If it was a consignment of excess stock, it might be returned after a while. I would suggest, however, that most would have been purchased and just sit in stock above a break even price until someday a buyer comes along. I have subscribed to some sales thread that come back to life several months after the last post. In the end, they might end up in an auction situation where the market is allowed to decide the value.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:10 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nothing happens until it is sold. Many sellers list the watch here and many other forums or eBay or even their own website. If it gets sold elsewhere you’ll notice the seller just strips bumping it. I’ve seen items go over a year at a high price because nobody could offer a price that the seller would accept.

Manufacturers have no role since the watch being listed already went through a retailer who moved it onward to the seller here. So it’s stranded inventory for the seller until it is sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:13 AM   #6
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Just like any business, either they hold until it sells or reduce prices to find the market.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 07:17 AM   #7
Tourbeon
"TRF" Member

I think it would be nice if there was a separation of dealer (resellers) and private collector sales. Lately I have been having issues with buying from resellers/gray market etc. Most seem to get offended if you ask more than 3 questions, and almost insult if trying to negotiate.
Tourbeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 08:38 AM   #8
ChrisInCharlotte
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbeon View Post
I think it would be nice if there was a separation of dealer (resellers) and private collector sales. Lately I have been having issues with buying from resellers/gray market etc. Most seem to get offended if you ask more than 3 questions, and almost insult if trying to negotiate.
I haven't had this experience with Grey dealers I've worked with, but maybe it just depends on who.
ChrisInCharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 09:31 AM   #9
Tourbeon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCharlotte View Post
I haven't had this experience with Grey dealers I've worked with, but maybe it just depends on who.

I have had this happen with 3 different sellers and 3 different pieces recently. Prices between 20-30k.
I asked one about strap length and their reply was simply "I don't know" that put me off right there. This was on a $30k Lange 1.
Tourbeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 03:04 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I have had this happen with 3 different sellers and 3 different pieces recently. Prices between 20-30k.
I asked one about strap length and their reply was simply "I don't know" that put me off right there. This was on a $30k Lange 1.
It’s unfortunate you received such poor customer service. Best to vote with thy wallet.
Old 28 June 2018, 07:03 PM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Like with just about anything in sales, including ADs, you will have some sellers who offer impeccable customer service and others who are awful. In a good economy where it often is a seller’s market, they will show their true colors. The two grays I’ve bought from have been outstanding, equal in customer service and professionalism to my outstanding AD. Were there grays/dealers selling what I purchased for a lower price? Sure, but I was happy to pay a small premium for the service and piece of mind I received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 08:08 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I browse the non-Rolex sales forum on TRF a lot. (The Rolex sales forum is not interesting because of current pricing.)

I see so many BNIB pieces from Panerai, Omega, Tudor, Lange, PP, etc. that just languish in there. They are posted, the poster bumps once a week often for more than a month. And no sale.

I also notice that many asking prices are unrealistically high.

So what actually happens to these watches? Do manufacturers have a buy-back channel? Are there auctions for mass goods (a la Mannheim Auctions for cars)?

I really don't think many of these pieces sell well. So what do the sellers do with them?
The seller keeps it
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 08:48 PM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It’s unfortunate you received such poor customer service. Best to vote with thy wallet.
I say best also to leave a public comment about your dealings and tell the dealer you will be. Seller's have way too much power and money in this market and service always suffers.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 09:35 PM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:

Really? Have had only good experiences with the few grey dealers I delt with, but at the same time they were pretty well known grey dealers and their attitude was consistent with their reputation, impeccable, but I lust say I allost didn’t bargain as the mrices were already great, so either didn’t bargain or just slightly, in all cases the transaction was at market level, you need to understand the dealers getting pissed when they put a watch at 16k, market being 15, so they can give a discount, and the buter proposing 13, happened to me when I wanted to sell some watches, ridiculous...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2018, 11:45 PM   #15
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I really don't get the question.

They repost them until they sell.

David has tons of unmoved inventory on his website. They just hold until it sells.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 01:39 AM   #16
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
I really don't get the question.

They repost them until they sell.

David has tons of unmoved inventory on his website. They just hold until it sells.
Not david specifically but with many sellers all too commonly it sells on the website or a different forum and is never marked as sold. Like the car dealers who never take down ads for sold cars, they leave the ad behind to generate leads. "No, that sold but I have this other similar one for you"
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 06:02 AM   #17
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I also look at these classified ads for unwanted and unloved watches and have to think to myself, why are these watches cast off, even when they are new releases? Seeing this is what keeps me from making any kind of impulse purchase. I think a lot of watches are impulse purchase that the owner regrets. Maybe they trade to a dealer for a steep loss, and it lingers in the classified.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote