The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 July 2018, 04:35 AM   #61
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Huge fan of the LN here. The BLNR never appealed to me...nor the silly nickname associated with it!

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:39 AM   #62
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Wait for the watch you really want. A BLNR shouldn't be that difficult to source, even for a first time buyer.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:55 AM   #63
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
I personally like the LN better and would go for it without hesitation. I have passed on numerous BLNRs under retail, b/c every time I try it on, it really doesn't do much for me. I personally think the bi-color bezels look better on the classic 5 digit references.

My vote is to grab the LN. Chances are you're not going to lose money on it if you do decide to sell it later on down the road.

However, at the end of the day it is really up to you and which one you prefer.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 05:10 AM   #64
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Few for sale on the forum, some of them brand new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
With the exchange rate as it is, he'd end up paying probably 6k CDN over MSRP if he bought it from a US seller. Current MSRP is 10200 CDN which is about 7750 US.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 05:25 AM   #65
nick800
"TRF" Member

I bought a BLNR from AD. Sold it and went LN. I love looking at it on my wrist. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the BLNR looked cheesy to me.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 02:48 PM   #66
DayDateDream
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 TT 116713LN
UPDATE: So I went to the AD to try on the LN. I have to admit, it’s a beautiful thing. And I love the weight of it. And the finishing is impeccable. It’s a Rolex.
The sales associate also was very friendly, respectful, wasn’t pushy nor snobby, and actually very down to earth. I appreciated that.

BUT, in the end, if I’m gonna throw down that much, it needs to be something that I REALLY REALLY want. I turned it down.

Maybe one day I will end up getting it. Reading everyone’s posts allowed me to appreciate the
details and versatility of this model. I just won’t be getting it today. I may never get the call for a BLNR. But who knows...

Thanks to everyone’s input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DayDateDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:04 PM   #67
IAN1
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex of course.
Ln
IAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:05 PM   #68
2024 Pledge Member

LN. I never see them in the wild anymore. I see BLNRs relatively often.

Or, if you're going to wait, BLRO.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:22 PM   #69
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
+1 blnr.
Old 19 July 2018, 05:05 PM   #70
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

I personally would go for the BLNR. The splash of blue adds a nice touch!
Old 19 July 2018, 05:28 PM   #71
Sportwatchmania
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Don't settle, wait for the BLNR.

116610LN - 116710BLNR - 116500LN White - 116500LN Black

Instagram: @sportwatchmania https://instagram.com/sportwatchmania/
Sportwatchmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 05:37 PM   #72
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
You may never see a BLNR out in the wild. I have seen two since it was released. LA and Paris.

I have the LN, bought it before the super hero craziness.

If you buy the LN, you’d never need a Sub.

To me, the LN is the silent collector’s watch that will explode in value in 20 years.

Remember the “red” font Sub?

BTW, the LN is now more rare than the Batman...
You say (i) one may never see a BLNR out in the wild, but then say (ii) the LN is now more rare than the BLNR.

Although the more important question would be on (ii) ...how would you know that? I don’t think any of us has access to Rolex’s inventory flow, and thus it would be really difficult to believe any firm number on that.

Secondly, all the ADs I’ve talked to from London to Paris to Johannesburg (I do global PE and travel a lot) have wait lists for the BLNR that are substantially longer than those of the LN. In places like London, it is years longer. In one of the three ADs I visited a couple months ago, the sales lady (who was ironically wearing a GMT II LN) told me the waitlist for the BLNR was not only closed, but was up to ten years deep based on the people in the list (and she wasn’t trying to blow me off from asking to be on the list since we were discussing the BLNR I was wearing).

Maybe you base your assertion on the number of BLNR incomings on TRF versus the incomings of LNs?

If so, that would be skewed since people will tend to report when they get something of note, and thus incomings will tend to be for certain watches.

For example, based on the last month’s incomings from the UK of the Stainless Steel BLRO, one can claim that a Date Just is (significantly) rarer than a Pepsi SS. After all, we literally haven’t seen more than one or so DJ incomings from the UK, but have been inundated with a bunch of Pepsi SS incomings from Blighty and it’s surrounds...

Anyway, I’m curious as to why you think the LN is rarer than the BLNR.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 05:48 PM   #73
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Anyway, I’m curious as to why you think the LN is rarer than the BLNR.
I'm not the one you asked but have pondered this myself. BLNRs are currently in higher demand and don't sit around long before selling. LNs very well could be made in lower numbers now and sit around due to lower demand, making them appear more plentiful.

The only way I've found to even remotely justify this is looking at the second-hand market. There are far more BLNRs available if one factors the time span of production for each.

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/ref-116710ln.htm LN / 11 years / 354 available (many of which are frankenwatches)

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/ref-116710blnr.htm BLNR / 5 years / 278 available

That's about a 2:1 ratio of BLNRs available if considering production years. If the BLNR was produced annually in equal or lower numbers to the LN, one would think the secondhand market would reflect it. Even here on TRF there are a ton of BLNRs available in comparison.

Rolex very well might be cranking out more BLNRs than LNs even though we want to think otherwise. Problem is, we don't know either way.
Old 19 July 2018, 07:04 PM   #74
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
I'm not the one you asked but have pondered this myself. BLNRs are currently in higher demand and don't sit around long before selling. LNs very well could be made in lower numbers now and sit around due to lower demand, making them appear more plentiful.

The only way I've found to even remotely justify this is looking at the second-hand market. There are far more BLNRs available if one factors the time span of production for each.

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/ref-116710ln.htm LN / 11 years / 354 available (many of which are frankenwatches)

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/ref-116710blnr.htm BLNR / 5 years / 278 available

That's about a 2:1 ratio of BLNRs available if considering production years. If the BLNR was produced annually in equal or lower numbers to the LN, one would think the secondhand market would reflect it. Even here on TRF there are a ton of BLNRs available in comparison.

Rolex very well might be cranking out more BLNRs than LNs even though we want to think otherwise. Problem is, we don't know either way.
I like your logic, particularly because without information from Rolex that is what we are left with ...the use of logic.

I do think however that it may not necessarily show the real state of play on the ground. The BLNR has been out for 5 years, and there are 278 of them for sale.

However, the BLRO 126710 (the stainless steel Pepsi) has been out basically ONE MONTH, and there are 88 of them for sale! A calculation of number of watches for sale/number of years (in this case, months) of production, would indicate the Pepsi SS is the most produced watch in Rolex’s inventory.

Which we know it’s not.

https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...goal_suggest=1
Pepsi SS / 0.083 years / 88 available
Old 19 July 2018, 07:18 PM   #75
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
However, the BLRO 126710 (the stainless steel Pepsi) has been out basically ONE MONTH, and there are 88 of them for sale! A calculation of number of watches for sale/number of years (in this case, months) of production, would indicate the Pepsi SS is the most produced watch in Rolex’s inventory.

Which we know it’s not.
Agreed. The variable in this case would be the astronomical premium sellers are getting for the BLRO. If either the LN or BLNR were selling for double MSRP, their numbers would be equally skewed. At least with both of these having been out for 5 and 11 years, we can assume more stability and draw a better assumption (although it's still an assumption). The BLRO is currently quite unstable in the market and too new to have a long-term view.

The other variable to my post above is that more LN owners could be holding onto their watches and enjoying them while more BLNR owners are letting theirs go either for a quick profit, getting tired of the color, or something else coming along and it being an easy watch to sell. But, all of that is more on the emotional side of things. Hard numbers leave less room for speculation.

But, it's still anyone's guess.
Old 19 July 2018, 07:55 PM   #76
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Agreed. The variable in this case would be the astronomical premium sellers are getting for the BLRO. If either the LN or BLNR were selling for double MSRP, their numbers would be equally skewed. At least with both of these having been out for 5 and 11 years, we can assume more stability and draw a better assumption (although it's still an assumption). The BLRO is currently quite unstable in the market and too new to have a long-term view.

The other variable to my post above is that more LN owners could be holding onto their watches and enjoying them while more BLNR owners are letting theirs go either for a quick profit, getting tired of the color, or something else coming along and it being an easy watch to sell. But, all of that is more on the emotional side of things. Hard numbers leave less room for speculation.

But, it's still anyone's guess.
Good points.

I’d say it’s probably a mix of all of the above. Most people who buy a LN - a gorgeous reference btw - are likely going to keep it. Why? Because while Rolex’s will (almost) always retain (at least part of) their value, watches like the GMT II LN or the Submariner Date LN will likely not sell at a premium.

Thus, purchasing a LN GMT or Submariner Date means the buyer will likely keep it for personal use, and only sell if (a) tired of it, (b) flipping for something else or (c) an event requiring quick liquidity. With most Rolexes not selling for too steep a discount, LN watches can be an okay-ish store of value.

The BLNR (and LVc, since I mentioned the LN Submariner Date above, and I believe there are 278 LVcs for sale) on the other hand are a bit different.

BLNRs currently sell at premiums, with one example going for 12,900 (but seem to average just under 11,000). Like their colored cousins the LVc, this means there is a profit incentive - and not all buyers of BLNRs and LVcs will be buying to keep them.

Thus, while the average LN buyer will be purchasing to keep, buyers of BLNR and LVc will be split between those buying to keep and those buying for profit (an easy 2-3K if bought at MSRP).

Not as much as the BLRO, but more accessible than the BLRO as well.
Old 24 July 2018, 03:06 PM   #77
DayDateDream
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 TT 116713LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjazy View Post
I was in the same predicament last November. I went with the LN and never looked back.

How do you feel about your decision now? Has the LN grown on you, or do you still crave the BLNR?

DayDateDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 09:36 PM   #78
crazyjazy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDateDream View Post
How do you feel about your decision now? Has the LN grown on you, or do you still crave the BLNR?

Instagram (and this place) is evil!! Lol. Everyone on IG has the BLNR and I think that fueled my desire for it. However, my AD made me a great deal and it LN has grown on me. I actually think it will age better, meaning an all black bezel will always look sharp versus the BLNR which may lose its novelty in the future. Just my opinion.

I have no desire to trade mine in for BLNR plus $3k or whatever just for the partially blue bezel.

crazyjazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 11:09 PM   #79
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I would wait for the one that I want the most

For me that would be the BLNR
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 11:40 PM   #80
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Would take the black bezel any day when talking ceramic.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 11:42 PM   #81
fdm79
"TRF" Member

As a GMT Master II lover, I would get them both !

However, IMO,

BLNR = BLRO > LN
Rolex GMT Master II 126710 BLRO - Rolex Submariner 116610 LV - Breitling Navitimer 01 Pan-American Bronze Limited Edition AB0121C4/Q605-447A - Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 3861 (Sapphire) 310.30.42.50.01.002 - Omega Seamaster Diver 300M 41mm Ceramic (Blue) 212.30.41.20.03.001
fdm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #82
rolexandrolex
Banned

blro
rolexandrolex is offline   Reply With Quote