The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2020, 03:02 AM   #31
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

58 & Explorer. There's not that large of a gulf between adding the Speedy and adding an Explorer (even less for an OP). Keep saving.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:22 AM   #32
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Really depends if you like changing watches. If not, get the Explorer. If u like variety sit pat and buy the Explorer. I tend to wear the same watch everyday, the others just sit in my safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:34 AM   #33
kegan
"TRF" Member

Keep the speedmaster, sell the Tudor, add the explorer.
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:39 AM   #34
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBowen2 View Post
Long time lurker, not a normal poster (yet)

Been into watches a long time but currently rebuilding the collection.

My dilemma is

I’ve got a BB58 right now, and thinking of adding a speedy pro. It would be a killer 2 watch collection and do everything I need.

Or

Instead go for one Rolex ~<$6500, would likely either be the 39mm Exp1, 36mm Exp1 or the black/white OP39

I do have a few affordable pieces that would be in rotation too

I know I need to do what’s best for me but curious what others would do. Do you diversify and go for 2 great pieces, or one crown to rule them all?

Any opinions welcome!

If you have the “Rolex itch” nothing else will ever satisfy it.

Previously, I had an Omega AT Skyfall and SMP300C and thought I would never trade those for a single Rolex (a Sub). But ... I did and I have never looked back.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:50 AM   #35
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
If you want a "collection" that you're going to regularly rotate through, then you can't go wrong starting it with a BB58 and Speedy. If you're looking for one watch to wear ~90% of the time, then I'd go with the Explorer.
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 03:50 AM   #36
cgaites
"TRF" Member

The standard hesalite Speedy Pro is my all-time favorite watch, and I'd never want my collection to be without one. So, from the two options you presented, I'd go with the Speedy and BB58. That said, I'd then quickly move to sell the BB58 and replace it with a 36mm Explorer. Doesn't seem like there would to be much of a spread between the two in terms of price when both the sale and purchase are transacted private party to private party. Then you have two timeless, yet very different steel sports watches, one of which has the uncanny ability to look good on pretty much any strap you throw on it.
cgaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 04:53 AM   #37
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
You don't appear to be a committed "one watch guy", so I don't think you'd be happy going down to a single piece.

On the other hand, if it is your goal to build up your collection, I would keep the great watches you have and save up for the Rolex. An Explorer added to your current Tudor and Omega would be a fantastic 3 watch rotation!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:24 AM   #38
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
That's a good dilemma to have!

From experience and I may be a little biased, but I say get a speedy pro hesalite now and you will have a great two watch collection. You will also have a lot of strap options.

I also have an explorer I in my rotation, it will take a while to get your hands on a new one so maybe take that time and save up. The other reason I say that it's better to wait is maybe the Explorer will get the new movement soon.
If that happens you'll have two watches with a 70hr power reserve and manually wound watch. Easy for a regular rotation.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:29 AM   #39
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBowen2 View Post
Long time lurker, not a normal poster (yet)

Been into watches a long time but currently rebuilding the collection.

My dilemma is

I’ve got a BB58 right now, and thinking of adding a speedy pro. It would be a killer 2 watch collection and do everything I need.

Or

Instead go for one Rolex ~<$6500, would likely either be the 39mm Exp1, 36mm Exp1 or the black/white OP39

I do have a few affordable pieces that would be in rotation too

I know I need to do what’s best for me but curious what others would do. Do you diversify and go for 2 great pieces, or one crown to rule them all?

Any opinions welcome!

Depends. If you have wanted a particular model for a while then sure. But make sure you are not flipping 2 watches just to have a “Rolex”. There is very and I mean very few current Rolex models I would take over a speedy. No, I lied. I would not take one current Rolex model over the speedy. In fact I have my Daytona to my wife and kept my speedy. Rolex is not the end all be all, though they are great. I got into Rolex as a Kid before I knew all the particulars and always loved the iconic design of the sub and Daytona. I did not like them because they were Rolex, but rather the design.

The models you are considering in my opinion are not worth losing a great watch and giving up perhaps the most important watch in production today. The moon watch is the real deal. Famous for timing the burn on Apollo 13, not because a salad dressing guy liked it. Salad dressing is hype, functioning when it counts in space-legendary.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 02:14 PM   #40
JBowen2
"TRF" Member

2 Better than 1?

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses, this really is helping me.

Just to clarify I don’t have the speedy right now. I have the BB58 and am considering adding the speedy OR selling the BB58 and putting the $ I would use for a speedy towards likely a 39mm Explorer.

I’m not much of a one watch guy, but by no means do I need a ton of watches. 3-5 quality pieces is the ideal (and maybe a cheaper 1-2 for fun)

Although I do like the idea of the speedy and the 36mm Explorer and the BB58 being left behind...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JBowen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 02:30 PM   #41
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

You'll never use the chronograph function. Rarely anyone does. Also, you're never really going to only have 1 watch. Save for the Rolex because you'll end up getting another one, and another one, and another one.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 02:15 AM   #42
JBowen2
"TRF" Member

Strongly leaning towards going the explorer route. Now the age old question of 36mm (114270) or 39mm

JBowen2 is offline   Reply With Quote