The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2020, 07:56 AM   #91
cc75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Skydweller
Zero
cc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 07:56 AM   #92
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
The MSRP is just that.... a "suggested" retail price. Shouldn't ADs be able to set their own prices based on the market? That way they all compete fairly for customers and sales.

I would happily pay above MSRP at an AD....It would just be based on a combination of price and customer service they provide. Not to mentioned it would reduce hoarding my flippers and greys.

Look at William Sonoma for example.... Their suggested retail price is way higher than the MSRP.
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 08:01 AM   #93
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but your question is stupid.
You are less than 2 months old on TRF - you need to settle down and take it easy! You might not understand the question for its context but for this forum, its not a stupid question!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:00 AM   #94
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
5k over retail but I saved the tax haha
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:13 AM   #95
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
$0.01

Not even the sales tax? I would do MSRP + my local sales tax and not $0.01

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:13 AM   #96
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Buying grey market

Quote:

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:29 AM   #97
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Show some class...

My threshold would be MSRP+Local sales tax.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:38 AM   #98
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
$9,999

Because there's no damn way I'm getting it from an AD and I don't have time to kiss ass and pretend to be friends with a retail worker.

I love the honesty! Bravo!

If you want this watch any time soon, you gotta play the game. You either pay big $$$ to the greys or become a VIP at the ADs. It doesn’t seem “fair” to some but that is how it is.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:41 AM   #99
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Whatever happened to no such thing as a stupid question ? I guess I applaud you for your honesty but take it easy on fellow members. That way they will give you the same respect back ??
Old 23 January 2020, 11:42 AM   #100
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTdweller View Post

If you want this watch any time soon, you gotta play the game. You either pay big $$$ to the greys or become a VIP at the ADs. It doesn’t seem “fair” to some but that is how it is.
Hit the nail on the head. My time and money was no longer worth the AD calls and stress. Once I bought my blnr over retail I chose that day to buy gray no more games and no more stress if I really want it
Old 23 January 2020, 11:53 AM   #101
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
Zero over MSRP so no grey for me.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:29 PM   #102
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Hit the nail on the head. My time and money was no longer worth the AD calls and stress. Once I bought my blnr over retail I chose that day to buy gray no more games and no more stress if I really want it
This and another person, I think, have given the objectively correct answer. The truth is that, for some models in this market, buying from an AD means the MSRP plus multiple visits, calls, and other time spent nurturing the relationship to get further up the list. That being the case, if you're bought one of those models in this market, you haven't really accurately answered when saying you won't pay one cent above MSRP. You've spent time, gas, attention/worry/anticipation (choose one/+) and effort, all of which are assets used.

In other words, for those models in this market, you're either saving your time/effort/etc. by substituting additional cash over MSRP with a gray or you're saving your money by paying MSRP and substituting time/effort/etc. with an AD. Neither side should really be kidding themselves that they've done better than the other; they've merely chosen which asset they would rather spent vs. conserve.
Old 23 January 2020, 03:55 PM   #103
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane75 View Post
This and another person, I think, have given the objectively correct answer. The truth is that, for some models in this market, buying from an AD means the MSRP plus multiple visits, calls, and other time spent nurturing the relationship to get further up the list. That being the case, if you're bought one of those models in this market, you haven't really accurately answered when saying you won't pay one cent above MSRP. You've spent time, gas, attention/worry/anticipation (choose one/+) and effort, all of which are assets used.

In other words, for those models in this market, you're either saving your time/effort/etc. by substituting additional cash over MSRP with a gray or you're saving your money by paying MSRP and substituting time/effort/etc. with an AD. Neither side should really be kidding themselves that they've done better than the other; they've merely chosen which asset they would rather spent vs. conserve.

+1

And usually you have to spend big money at your AD’s store for other stuff to get you on the top of this mythical list. In many cases it will cost you more money to buy from the AD when comparing buying from grey.
With the AD you’ll get nowadays usually rude&nervous behaviour and comments like: ”You must promise not to sell this watch once you’ll get it... Rolex is monitoring....” This kind of poor customer service destroys the joy of buying the watch.
Go grey, enjoy life!

FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:21 PM   #104
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
I’m about to pay 30% over MSRP for a BLNR. Because they don’t make them on Oyster anymore. =\

Old 23 January 2020, 06:48 PM   #105
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
What a scam.
Rolex is loving this.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 07:20 PM   #106
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
+1

And usually you have to spend big money at your AD’s store for other stuff to get you on the top of this mythical list. In many cases it will cost you more money to buy from the AD when comparing buying from grey.
With the AD you’ll get nowadays usually rude&nervous behaviour and comments like: ”You must promise not to sell this watch once you’ll get it... Rolex is monitoring....” This kind of poor customer service destroys the joy of buying the watch.
Go grey, enjoy life!

This,spot on!
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:17 PM   #107
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If I decide I want a particular watch, I'll pay what DavidSW is asking and have it the next day. Don't even need to leave the house!
Littletommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:37 PM   #108
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane75 View Post

Spot on. I’ve seen many posts on TRF where posters have (on principle) declared: “I absolutely will not pay above MSRP for any watch.” Yet they spend tens of thousands of dollars or more at their AD on less-desired watches/jewelry with the “hope” they can get access to a hot piece.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:00 PM   #109
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

MSRP + $1k
TruthBalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:44 PM   #110
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Spot on. I’ve seen many posts on TRF where posters have (on principle) declared: “I absolutely will not pay above MSRP for any watch.” Yet they spend tens of thousands of dollars or more at their AD on less-desired watches/jewelry with the “hope” they can get access to a hot piece.
I think that might be situational depending of course on the individual. If you wanted the other watches/jewelry pieces then its fine. If you force a purchase then that's a different story.

I'm one of those who find it unnecessary to pay more than MSRP but my strategy was pretty much to find an AD that carries many brands so that I only buy what I want. Therefore my ALS, PP, VC and other brand purchases count towards my history and lets me ask for Rolex SS models without having to buy Cellinis. Also I do have a love for PM models so the idea of bundling doesn't bother me but I will definitely make sure I get a discount fairly comparable to gray market prices on the PMs. Of course I will never play bat if they offered me a piece. I usually know what I like and only buy what I want

Also I do have family and relatives that helps me beef up my purchase history as well so maybe I'm lucky They all know im a watch geek and always consult me when they are looking for a purchase. Most of them are just the average consumer and only want 1 Rolex and usually defaults to a date just or a day date. They won't even recognize a Daytona, GMT, Milgauss, or a Sub to even be a Rolex unless they see it up close. They'll usually either send me or go with me to the AD and make the purchase for them under my name

Also I don't mind waiting for models too as I always joke with my AD the slower I get my watches the healthier my bank account is
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 01:10 AM   #111
jcj
"TRF" Member

The Grey (or TS) vs AD is an interesting question to me; we all pay for convenience regularly, without a second thought, yet somehow the secondary pricing on Rolex is very polarizing.

I don’t ever see placing myself on a waiting list, while making weekly (or even monthly) visits to an AD in an attempt to ingratiate myself to the management and staff;I suppose that leaves the secondary market as my only option.

Part two, is do I want the piece enough to pay the current premium; thus far, the answer has been no.
jcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 02:05 AM   #112
Pantheon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj View Post

I don’t ever see placing myself on a waiting list, while making weekly (or even monthly) visits to an AD in an attempt to ingratiate myself to the management and staff;I suppose that leaves the secondary market as my only option.
Im curious as do people actually visit their ADs regularly? My AD tells me to visit them but I never go unless there is a watch I want to try on or a watch im buying. Usually when I visit the AD there is a 50% chance im walking out with something. I can't imagine myself going in to just "hang out" with the staff.
Old 24 January 2020, 02:09 AM   #113
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
Im curious as do people actually visit their ADs regularly? My AD tells me to visit them but I never go unless there is a watch I want to try on or a watch im buying. Usually when I visit the AD there is a 50% chance im walking out with something. I can't imagine myself going in to just "hang out" with the staff.
I guess ADs are all different (no real surprise there). One of the ADs local to me where I have my name on a "list" was surprised when I stopped in because he hadn't received the watch and hadn't called. I've also never been asked/pressured to buy anything else at an AD with a wink and nudge about the watch I want magically appearing.

My personal feeling is that once a watch leaves an AD and hits the greys it's "pre-owned". I'd rather just wait and get what I want, new, from an AD. I am also not in a hurry to pick up the watch I want so it's not a problem for me to wait.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 02:44 AM   #114
jcj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
I’ve seen it mentioned regularly on the forum, so I’m assuming some do; no judgement on going that route, but it’s not a strategy I see myself employing.
jcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 04:54 AM   #115
Pantheon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj View Post
I’ve seen it mentioned regularly on the forum, so I’m assuming some do; no judgement on going that route, but it’s not a strategy I see myself employing.
I see. I don't think its necessarily bad to visit the AD. Personally I worked in sales for a year or so for a tech company. There was nothing I hated more than having my time wasted. So my mentality kinda stuck to me that I do not like wasting a salesperson's time. If I don't have the intent to buy something usually I make it very clear because I feel like the time I take away from the salesperson is time that could be spent with another paying customer. If I'm buying something usually I would sit down and chat for an hour or something but maybe im crazy
Old 24 January 2020, 05:55 AM   #116
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
It really depends on how much you can afford to spend and how much you want the watch, it's really a personal choice. The going rates for all models are on every site so let this be your approximate guide. Your question is quite valid. The purpose of this site is to provide a community for advice, help and discussion with fellow Rolex enthusiasts. There are no points for being rude, a trait which unfortunately is becoming commonplace of late.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:29 AM   #117
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Quote:

Just to add... Becoming VIP at ADs is also big $$$.
Santiago32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:32 AM   #118
TurboTim14
"TRF" Member

I don't mind paying a little over MSRP to get one I really want. I think the max I am willing to spend would be 2-3k over depending on what it is.

What bothers me is my name is not on the warranty card buying gray market. For whatever reason that bothers me more than paying over MSRP to get it. YMMV.
TurboTim14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 06:43 AM   #119
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
[QUOTE=daOnlyBG;10310733]I think "blunt" and "stupid" should have been swapped.

Old 24 January 2020, 07:05 AM   #120
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
$0.01
+1 but in my case I would round down.
Its a watch, no reason to pay over retail price offered by the manufacturer.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote