The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 September 2019, 07:32 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Triplock Crown Winding Question

My 14060 recently had a movement service, but the Triplock Crown does not wind as buttery smooth as my SubC Date, nor does it “catch” and tighten/screw down as smoothly as my other Rolex watches.

Did some forum searches, and it seems like this shouldn’t adversely affect the watch. In other words, so long as the watch winds and screws down then it shouldn’t be a major problem.

Do I have this right, or should I send it in to my watch repairer to get a new OEM Triplock Crown put in?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 07:35 AM   #2
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Triplock Crown Winding Question

Winding smoothness doesn’t depend on the crown so much as many other parts inside the movement... so if this feels rough that may be an issue with the movement. However threading the crown back to case is a separate issue. If this doesn’t feel right please explain a bit more as to why... it should be smooth.

Also the newer movements will feel a little less resistance when winding compared to the older ones (not while threading to case though).

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 07:47 AM   #3
illiguy

Thanks, Greg. Appreciate your input and follow-up. To be more precise, I think winding the watch feels ok, but certainly different and less smooth in comparison to my 2019 Submariner Date (116610LN).

For my other Rolex watches (e.g., Datejust 116234 and Submariner Date), after winding and when I go to screw back down the crown, I’ll turn slightly backwards so the thread “catches” and then I tighten clockwise until I feel slight resistance.

With my 14060, the crown doesn’t “pop out” as easily when loosening from a screwed down position and it also requires a bit more force to thread and screw down in comparison to my other watches. I never get the tactile “catch” feeling of the thread on the 14060.

Hope that helps.
Old 11 September 2019, 03:06 AM   #4
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Winding smoothness doesn’t depend on the crown so much as many other parts inside the movement... so if this feels rough that may be an issue with the movement. However threading the crown back to case is a separate issue. If this doesn’t feel right please explain a bit more as to why... it should be smooth.

Also the newer movements will feel a little less resistance when winding compared to the older ones (not while threading to case though).

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
I am going to take this one into my watchmaker.
Old 12 September 2019, 01:59 AM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

Who did the service work? Was the movement simply cleaned, reassembled and oiled or were worn parts replaced?

As Greg mentioned above, it sounds like the tube and crown might need replaced as well. He's correct in that it wouldn't affect how smoothly it winds. I suspect worn parts (reversing wheels for example) might not have been replaced. But, that's just a guess based on minimal info.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #6
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Who did the service work? Was the movement simply cleaned, reassembled and oiled or were worn parts replaced?

As Greg mentioned above, it sounds like the tube and crown might need replaced as well. He's correct in that it wouldn't affect how smoothly it winds. I suspect worn parts (reversing wheels for example) might not have been replaced. But, that's just a guess based on minimal info.
Sorry for delayed response. I am wearing my 14060 (N Serial - c. 1991) today and noticed the winding issue when powering up. Bought this watch in Fall 2019. Reputable seller had noted that the watch movement had recently been serviced (back in Fall 2019) with “good amplitude“. It’s running about -9 seconds/day right now.

Separately, I had the watch pressure tested by a local, respected watchmaker. I also had the watchmaker check out the winding mechanism and he did a repair using genuine OEM Rolex parts.

That all said, when I wind the watch it definitely feels more “stiff” or “gritty” (can’t think of better termS) compared to my other, more modern Rolex watches. This includes a a 116520, 116610, 14060M, 116234, etc. For all the others, the winding action feels smooth (“buttery” or “velvety” - again, can’t think of better words).

I guess I am wondering if this sounds like an issue with my watch or something that’s par for the course for a now, 29 year old watch.

P.S. Not sure if this is relevant (and an issue), but changing the time/minute hands forward is reverse from my other Rolex watches. Meaning the movement of the crown - clockwise v counter-clockwise. This always catches me a bit by surprise when I haven’t worn the 14060 in a while. Normal?

Thanks!
Old 10 January 2020, 09:52 PM   #7
illiguy

Update: Took to a local, CMW21 and Rolex Certified Watchmaker for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 January 2020, 02:33 AM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
"Grittiness" is not a good thing. Some resistance can be felt on occasion with new seals compared to older very worn ones, but the gritty feeling . . . .

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 08:00 AM   #9
watchmaker
TechXpert

Just got clarification, is your watch a 14060 (as you have said) or a 14060M?

If it is the former, that has a different movement generation (30xx vs 31xx) so you’re comparing apples and oranges.

If it’s the latter then there shouldn’t be a substantial difference between the two so it may indicate something isn’t quite right.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:03 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Just got clarification, is your watch a 14060 (as you have said) or a 14060M?

If it is the former, that has a different movement generation (30xx vs 31xx) so you’re comparing apples and oranges.

If it’s the latter then there shouldn’t be a substantial difference between the two so it may indicate something isn’t quite right.
Its from 1991 so 30xx movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote