The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2019, 10:48 AM   #31
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Daytona's in cases.

I remember when they first released the DaytonaC (white dial) for $12.4K, No Tax and added $75 for shipping to you out of State. You had to wait on the list but if you got lucky you got one.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 10:53 AM   #32
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdaytona View Post
You have it wrong they cost $12k but are worth $25k if you can get one, which most can't.
Better to go white gold. Easier to source and the dial options are much better. Who cares if the bezel isn't ceramic?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 02:28 PM   #33
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Can't we do both? I'm a millennial and I happen to hate most of us.

Now I went and offended myself...damn

Anyways, there was a point back in the late 90's I remember seeing at least a black-dialed SS Daytona in the case at the mall. And ~10 years ago, I handled a new Kermit that was being sold at a discount. Makes me wonder what will be just ridiculously popular in the coming decades that isn't selling well now.
Milgauss, especially if they don’t have a GV if/when it gets updated.
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 06:57 AM   #34
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
If you are referring to SS Daytona , That means you have been a client for a long time. I have only ever seen PM and TT Daytonas in the case.
Yep, the stainless Daytona pre ceramic bezel. Every time I bought a GMT or Deep Sea or Sub, he would say, you really should add one of the Daytona's and I usually replied with, na, too busy, too small etc...

Enter the new era....crazy!
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:08 AM   #35
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
The ones who can’t afford the current market value ceramic Daytonas are the people who are belly aching on and on here about others who can afford to spend 24k to get the watch.Blah,blah,blah,boring.
Sounds like sour grapes and jealousy to me.These people should have listened harder and learnt more in school in order to get better jobs and earn more money. Haha
The prices are market value,get over it and put a sock in ya gob.These tedious repetitive threads are just a waste of time and are of no value whatsoever.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #36
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
I know where a grey dealer is looking for 28k euro for a 'new' SS Daytona
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 07:20 AM   #37
cat1pro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmelloy View Post
I think it’s weird people will pay 20 something for a piece of steel. The gold one isn’t much more. If I was gona spend 20k I would just go with gold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my thoughts exactly. I went for the 116528
cat1pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:11 PM   #38
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Crazy times we live in. Makes me wonder if years down the road people will say “I should have bought the SS Daytona when it was only $23k. Now I’m kicking myself . . .”

Who knows?
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:22 PM   #39
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTdweller View Post
Crazy times we live in. Makes me wonder if years down the road people will say “I should have bought the SS Daytona when it was only $23k. Now I’m kicking myself . . .”

Who knows?
How many years do you need? PP 5711s we’re selling for under $30k all day just a couple years ago (maybe even more recently) now they’re around $70k.

I picked up my first 116500 for around $15k a couple years ago and was indirectly ridiculed for paying a premium here on TRF. A lot of “a fool and his money...” talk. As well as hearing only a moron would be willing to pay over retail.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:51 PM   #40
MGCP
"TRF" Member

I’m quite glad that Daytonas leave me cold, although it is strange watching people go crazy paying ever larger sums for something you have no interest in yourself.

From the outside it just ends up looking like a mix of tulipmania and bitcoin, perceived status or ownership combined with a hefty does of FOMO in the belief the price tomorrow will be significantly higher than the price today, so better get on board!
MGCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:04 PM   #41
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Yet you can still buy a new Daytona 2 tone for under MSRP which is the best value hands down.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 11:52 PM   #42
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
I bought my Daytona in 2016 and my ad gave me 15 percent off. Stainless steel white dial thank god I still own it as I would hate paying thousands over retail for a used watch
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:12 AM   #43
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton911 View Post
The ones who can’t afford the current market value ceramic Daytonas are the people who are belly aching on and on here about others who can afford to spend 24k to get the watch.Blah,blah,blah,boring.
Sounds like sour grapes and jealousy to me.These people should have listened harder and learnt more in school in order to get better jobs and earn more money. Haha
The prices are market value,get over it and put a sock in ya gob.These tedious repetitive threads are just a waste of time and are of no value whatsoever.

Not sure I’d have put it this way, but made me chuckle regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #44
Rosex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Not when fools are gladly paying 25K for a SS Daytona worth 12,400
If people are prepared to pay 25k then that is the value.
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:11 AM   #45
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
I've heard daytonas were never in the cases, and I've heard that they were flooding the cases and didn't sell. Want to get the story straight...
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #46
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I think many of us agree that it is a bit out there to pay $25K for a SS Daytona and most probably would not do it.

However, what are peoples thoughts on if they were offered one at MSRP, buying and flipping, versus keeping? Is this as high as prices will get?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 02:45 AM   #47
cat1pro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I think many of us agree that it is a bit out there to pay $25K for a SS Daytona and most probably would not do it.

However, what are peoples thoughts on if they were offered one at MSRP, buying and flipping, versus keeping? Is this as high as prices will get?
it would be hard not to flip and buy a WG model
cat1pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 03:19 AM   #48
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famz_01 View Post
I bought my Daytona in 2016 and my ad gave me 15 percent off. Stainless steel white dial thank god I still own it as I would hate paying thousands over retail for a used watch
I wish I would've received 15% off! But won't complain, because I have other ceramic and feel last edition (Green Tag imo) 116520s were the best Daytona value in years. Same exact watch minus the ceramic bezel and black sub-dials on the white dial. A lot of hype today for a ceramic bezel on a watch that imo didn't need it. I do like the black 116500, but imo the white dial is a little too much a mix of Tag Formula 1 and wannabe Panda. But hey that's why Rolex makes different versions to make us all happy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5351-jpeg-small.jpg (152.4 KB, 121 views)
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 04:28 AM   #49
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1pro View Post
it would be hard not to flip and buy a WG model
If only it were not another 6 to 8k!
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 04:36 AM   #50
AlexFrank
"TRF" Member

Today is still the same sales tactic. Its unbelievable how they do us
AlexFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:14 AM   #51
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

Back in 2013...

When I bought my Sub 2tone I could have had any Daytona at the same 18% off... It never really appealed to me until I laid eyes on the Platona almost a year later... back then I think it was high 70’s before discount. I had 2 occasions I could have bought one but didn’t have the scratch then... cut to last fall and I had to beg and search for even an opportunity to buy one... no AD would take an order or even offer a guaranteed allocation. One AD even told me I had to buy the watch first in full then they would try to get me one... Everywhere I go I pop into Rolex stores and it’s the same thing... empty everything lol. In the end I count myself lucky to have found one at MSRP (there was/is a local grey selling a 2014 with a missing link (sized) that wanted 92k plus tax... I’m grateful I buy to wear and not collect. I have too many other expensive hobbies... can’t afford another 😎
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:17 AM   #52
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Sheeple
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:35 AM   #53
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
$100 to your favorite charity if you can point out to me where I said anything against millennials or even hinted at it. Are you paranoid?

Now I realize Daytona’s have always been hard to get but I don’t ever recall a time when they were selling for double retail with the exception of the last few years. Can you point out a time to me when they were? Granted I’ve only been in the Rolex game for the last eight years or so but I would love to hear your insight to when this is happened before.

Oh and by the way the economy is rocking in the United States and that’s the reason why it’s so difficult to get Rolex or any luxury item. I suspect your economy will be doing pretty awesome here soon also.
In the early 2000's, stainless steel Daytonas were going for $10K USD or much higher in Asia when their Rolex list price was still, as I recall, in the low $6000's USD.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:51 AM   #54
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdaytona View Post
You have it wrong they cost $12k but are worth $25k if you can get one, which most can't.
Anybody can get one at 25k lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:03 AM   #55
greeneyedguy
Banned

I'm on deck for one at retail and I've never been more stoked to drop 14k on a watch.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:09 AM   #56
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
In the early 2000's, stainless steel Daytonas were going for $10K USD or much higher in Asia when their Rolex list price was still, as I recall, in the low $6000's USD.
I would not know. In the early 2000s I was lower middle class and I had absolutely no idea what was happening in Asia. But I believe you. It still says to me anyone that be willing to do something like that then 10k isn’t very much to them to begin with. Same thing goes for today.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:07 AM   #57
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Clothing and hair styles change with the times. Just take a look at some of your pictures from the mid 80s. LOL!

No different with watches, small is out, gold is out, dress watches out(mostly).
So no mystery why SS is at a premium. Couple the SS is in fad with the Daytona's popularity and you have a watch you can't get. At least I haven't been able to get one, yet.

I think it's why the 5711 is going for such insane prices. It's big, it's SS, it's sporty and can pull off a dressy role when needed. Daytona a close second to checking all those boxes. So I don't see Daytona prices moving south too much if at all anytime soon.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #58
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

Well, to round this thread out. I've had two black ceramic Daytona's and a white ceramic. The only time I miss them is when I see the grey market price jump up to another level.

Read into that however you want.
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote