The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2020, 10:43 AM   #31
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

A comment I’ve made recently elsewhere:

GS has Spring Drive, more accurate than any Rolex,
GS has titanium, unavailable in any Rolex,
GS has amazing dial designs, much more interesting than any Rolex.

YMMV

John
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:29 AM   #32
FATO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I like that what’s the reference for that?

Imagine that dial on a Datejust 41 with fluted bezel on jubilee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:08 PM   #33
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
January the 2nd I bought both a GS and Explorer. Both are very well made and finished the Dial and hand finishing on the GS is much better than the Explorer The bracelet on both is very well made and finished, the GS bracelet clasp is thinner on the wrist than the Explorer but is just as secure and well made.
I set both watches to my radio controlled clock on the 2nd and so far the Explorer is + 0.2 seconds a day and the GS is 0.0.
A surprising thing for the many who think heft is a sign of quality is that with both sized to my wrist the GS is the heavier watch.

The Explorer will most likely be the last Rolex I buy but I do intend to pick up another GS.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 20 January 2020, 08:46 PM   #34
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

52 years old. Still running at 1 second a day.

Don't let Hi-Beat scare you.

That said, not a huge fan of most modern GS as most are way too large and way too thick.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 08:58 PM   #35
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have both Rolex and GS. I find GS superior in finishing and dial design. To me, GS is the manufacturer that produces the more interesting watches in terms of aesthetics. Durability wise, I have 2 Seikos that are still functioning as they should after 10-20 years, without having any servicing.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:06 PM   #36
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I was tossing between the GS SBGA387 and the Rolex Exp2. Went for the former but less than 9 nine months, traded it for a SBGK005 and listed myself for an Exp2.

IMO you can’t go wrong with a Rolex.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:28 AM   #37
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Just be prepared for the bracelet to not be as good
^^^This
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:47 AM   #38
Hawkeye1
"TRF" Member

I own 2 GS and 2 Rolex and in the end, they are all great watches. As for specificts,
The GS Spring Drive being a quartz hybrid is more accurate and reliable than any mechanical watch hands down. Purists will argue that the presence of a quartz element makes it inherently inferior, but whatever.
GS finish is spectacular. They have got the dial and hands down to a science. Rolex is pretty close with the quality, but they don't do as much with pattern and texture on their dials. Owner preference here.
Bracelets go to Rolex all day, every day. My GS diver is comfortable, but the clasp is so thick, its comical. Also feels like clasp on my G-Shock. A GS on a strap is amazing though. My dress watch is stunning and although not quite in the league of PP, it is pretty damn good and I'd put it over Cellini any day.
In the end, both are amazing, but I still wear Rolex more often than my GS though, mostly because I love the look of the sub more than my SBGA 021.
Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 02:03 AM   #39
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If I wanted a watch with electronic elements, I would buy (and have several) a fine battery watch. An automatic watch like Rolex is a different animal in my view and represents the continuous improvement of a classic movement.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 02:07 AM   #40
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
If I wanted a watch with electronic elements, I would buy (and have several) a fine battery watch. An automatic watch like Rolex is a different animal in my view and represents the continuous improvement of a classic movement.
Hi-Beat.

*mic drop*
Old 21 January 2020, 02:18 AM   #41
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
SBGA387
w/Blue Snowflake Dial
As another post mentioned, the 387 is not the "blue snowflake." The SBGA387 is the Kira Zuri dial. The SBGA407 is the Blue Snowflake.

I recently picked up the 387 and I am very happy with it. I love the dial, but I caution you, a lot of the photos out there make it appear more blue than it comes off in real life. The dial color can vary a lot based on the lighting, and what colors it is reflecting. With that said, it is a beautiful watch with a stunning dial. I did look t the 407 in person at my AD, and the color didn't look the photos and came off too pastel for my personal liking.

I have owned at one point 6 Rolexes. I'm down to two. The bracelet on the GS is nice, but the lack of a micro adjustment is one of the down sides. Otherwise I find it very comfy and very robust. There was a thread not too long ago where the OP played with the amount of half links to get that perfect fit. I have done the same.

The spring drive movement is awesome. I encourage you to read up on it. Some say it is not a true mechanical watch. I disagree. The addition of a quartz crystal to regulate the time is amazing. There is no battery or anything else. It still has gears and all of that. My 387 is the most accurate watch I have ever owned. It seems rather robust, but if I'm going to do crazy things in life, I have other watches I would rather wear which are more functional for those purposes. Time will tell when it comes to the spring drives, but some posts that are coming in from long time owners of spring drive movements suggest no problems.

the 3185 and 3135 in my Rolexes have been time tested so I do not worry when I wear those.

The SBGA387 is a beautiful watch and a lovely addition to my collection, especially with the two straps it comes with. On the bracelet, I have worn it with jeans and a t-shirt and it has fit in well.

However, as a one and only watch, it would not work for me. As a one and only, I would prefer a Rolex or the GS SBGE001 GMT.

Good luck. It is a beautiful watch that only 557 other people will have should you buy it.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 02:19 AM   #42
tbk
"TRF" Member

I owned a Snowflake and a Peacock, and I'll echo what the others have said. The fit and finish of the case, dial, and hands is fantastic. The bracelets aren't great, look cheap/generic, and the first thing I did was put both watches on a strap.

I ended up selling both watches quickly for a couple of reasons. One, I just don't wear dressy watches very often. The Peacock was too small. The Snowflake, while it looked great in pictures, just didn't have that wow factor in real life. The titanium looks a little lifeless, and it also scratches extremely easily. They claim it's specially hardened and whatnot, but it doesn't help. It also feels too light and cheap because of the titanium. I think if the Snowflake had the stainless steel case of the Peacock, just in the bigger size, I'd like it a lot more. There was also no lume on the dials or hands, so that's something you have to be OK with also.

They are great watches, but they have some cons as well.
tbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 03:02 AM   #43
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
I'm also considering GS. I think its a beautiful watch. The details and quality looks fantastic. I'm just waiting the right opportunity.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:23 AM   #44
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaHammer View Post
The SKX is the only Seiko family member to own. And it's discontinued, so it will go up in value by at least 30% over the next few years.
My SKX007 was only $150 BNIB. 30% increase on that price isn't worth it to me unless you really like the watch to wear. For me it's my absolute beater.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:24 AM   #45
BT1985
"TRF" Member

I was a GS skeptic and completely changed my mind once I had the chance to handle one in the metal. Bought a SBGE249 and love it.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:48 AM   #46
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaHammer View Post
The SKX is the only Seiko family member to own. And it's discontinued, so it will go up in value by at least 30% over the next few years.
I don't buy this argument at all. I have an SKX009J (OK, my dad does - I gave it to him to use as a beater while on holiday), and it's an awesome watch, but it's got some serious downsides. The worst is the ancient movement - no hacking, not that accurate, and with a day and date complication and a puny power reserve but no manual wind, it's not versatile enough to just pick up whenever you want the ultimate beater. My J was fine, but I've seen some horror-story fit-and-finish.

With the new Prospexes not much more expensive, and the new 5 doing virtually the same thing for less (yes, I know there's no pip or screw-down-crown, but what % of people actually needed 20bar vs 10bar?) - all with manual wind and hacking, the SKX has been replaced with demonstrably better, more practical heirs.

I'm sure many will look back fondly, but the whole 'rising in value' schtick is wishful thinking IMO.
Old 21 January 2020, 04:55 AM   #47
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I was a GS skeptic and completely changed my mind once I had the chance to handle one in the metal. Bought a SBGE249 and love it.

Which strap is that?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:58 AM   #48
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
You have to like the styling of GS watches, which is basically the same as their lower end models with better finishing/details/materials in the watch.

Great watches if you like the aesthetic.

Would take an equivalent Rolex any day, but I don't care for the styling of GS.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 05:08 AM   #49
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Which strap is that?

Mugatoo made in Paris for GS. Timeless Luxury Watches in Plano, TX is a distributor.

Old 21 January 2020, 05:10 AM   #50
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mugatoo made in Paris for GS. Timeless Luxury Watches in Plano, TX is a distributor.

Lovely strap on a lovely watch.
Old 21 January 2020, 05:39 AM   #51
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Lovely strap on a lovely watch.

Old 21 January 2020, 09:41 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
You have to like the styling of GS watches, which is basically the same as their lower end models with better finishing/details/materials in the watch.

Great watches if you like the aesthetic.

Would take an equivalent Rolex any day, but I don't care for the styling of GS.
Quote:

I had to do a double take when I saw Will Ferrell and then mentions of mugatoo lol Who has seen Zoolander
I don't think anyone is going to dispute GS makes exceptional watches. You just have to decide if the brand is for you. Brand plays a massive factor in most purchases and for some it rules out GS.

Over time I have built substantial brand equity internally for GS and as such I get excited about their releases as they are both attainable and fairly priced. GS basically dominates the under 10k segment for my spending budget.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:45 AM   #53
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Did someone say SBGE 201?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twilight Time.jpg (266.0 KB, 229 views)
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 05:32 AM   #54
Fredamens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I like that what’s the reference for that?

Grand Seiko SBGA407

Fredamens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #55
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Finish is on par with Patek and absolutely nothing to worry about on the durability and reliability fronts. Accuracy will be as good as it gets to (if that floats your boat).

I don’t think you’ll be dissatisfied.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #56
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

GS quality is superb. However, I moved mine pretty quickly because there was no bracelet adjustability, and it would often feel uncomfortable on the wrist. So if comfort is important to you, keep that in mind.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:01 AM   #57
Rollied
2024 Pledge Member

Personally from strictly aesthetic perspective, GS > Omega
Rollied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 09:11 AM   #58
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
SBGA387
w/Blue Snowflake Dial
Go for it. A stellar watch. And I never had issues with GS bracelets like others so I guess it depends on wrist shape/size in terms of fit. They are as comfortable as they come and seem robust.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:32 AM   #59
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Old 24 January 2020, 11:02 AM   #60
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
SBGA387
w/Blue Snowflake Dial
Nice watch but that is not the blue snowflake.

SBGA407 is the actual blue snowflake.
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote