The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 June 2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Anyone familiar with Bremont ?.

I've taken an interest in their watches lately, some of their designs are interesting and I like the aviation themes and British connection.

Went to the Bremont boutique on Madison Ave in Manhattan last week, a very nice setting. All their collections were on display, the sales rep was very informative, tried on a few models. I can see why these boutiques are gaining favor among watchmakers, the setting is perfect, a dedicated sales staff and no competition.

My question on the Bremont brand, how are their watches for reliability, durability and service? Thanks for your comments.
Old 17 June 2015, 01:12 AM   #2
CaptLeslie
"TRF" Member

I have been a Bremont fan for years and own several models. They are well made watches with high tech materials from aviation as the material for their cases! The case design is unique and functional! The movements, for most models, are ETA based with their own modifications for accuracy and durability. Their customer service is outstanding! Like all watches stuff happens and they are very responsive to making your purchase rewarding! The NY Boutique is brand new and at some point they will have a service center their for us in the States. If you like their unique design and aviation inspired watches, I would not hesitate to purchase! Good luck with your purchase decision and if you do buy a Bremont, I think you won't regret the decision! Cheers Jim
Old 17 June 2015, 01:27 AM   #3
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Developing an appreciation for their pieces. I've had the opportunity to check out a few fellow collectors pieces and I can definitely see the appeal. The question that always remains is : would this get your dollar over another piece... Lots of competition on that end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 June 2015, 04:04 AM   #4
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
They lost a lot of respect with the marketed in-house movement debacle a while back.
Old 17 June 2015, 04:35 AM   #5
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I think they meant that they installed their ETA movements in-house (*_*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
They lost a lot of respect with the marketed in-house movement debacle a while back.
Old 17 June 2015, 04:59 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I saw this mentioned in another thread, but I don't know any of the particulars. Is it common for watch makers to send empty cases to ETA, or whomever is supplying, let them install the movements and ship back for finishing?

And when one says they use third party movements which are modified for a specific maker, who does the modifying, the movement maker or the watch maker?

Was Bremont's problem unforgivable? They lost respect, but was it a problem identified and corrected or are there continuing problems? I know there's a cache with in-house movement design and manufacturing, but plenty of fine watchmakers use third party.

These issues get to the heart of how I evaluate the brand - long term reliability and durability. And service. I'm not as concerned with resale, but I am keen on good value.

This is my first serious consideration of a relatively expensive watch that is not among the top brands, so I've got a lot of questions and checking to do. Owners and aficionados with real experience are most helpful, so I appreciate the responses.
Old 17 June 2015, 05:05 AM   #7
mikea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
I've had Bremonts for years and still have my Solo. Will most likely not be getting rid of it anytime soon. They are very well made...and I am looking to add another Bremont early next year.
Old 17 June 2015, 05:10 AM   #8
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLeslie View Post
I have been a Bremont fan for years and own several models. They are well made watches with high tech materials from aviation as the material for their cases! The case design is unique and functional! The movements, for most models, are ETA based with their own modifications for accuracy and durability. Their customer service is outstanding! Like all watches stuff happens and they are very responsive to making your purchase rewarding! The NY Boutique is brand new and at some point they will have a service center their for us in the States. If you like their unique design and aviation inspired watches, I would not hesitate to purchase! Good luck with your purchase decision and if you do buy a Bremont, I think you won't regret the decision! Cheers Jim
Thanks for your comments. It's nice to hear from an owner with first hand experience, guess you didn't have a bad experience with the movement problem someone else cited (see my other post on this thread).

Yes, the case construction seems like a unique approach, along with a number of other designs, features and materials I find appealing, even if I'm not technically savvy enough to compare to other brands. Like most watches (and other nice things) we like what we like for our own personal reasons, this forum provides good information to help the decision process. Thanks again.
Old 17 June 2015, 05:16 AM   #9
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
I've had Bremonts for years and still have my Solo. Will most likely not be getting rid of it anytime soon. They are very well made...and I am looking to add another Bremont early next year.
Yes, I tried on a Solo, love the clean look. Black dial on a black strap, nice look! I'm a bit over done on black dials, need some diversification, but hey, you like what you like.
Old 17 June 2015, 05:34 AM   #10
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
This is very much the case with me and the more I looked into the company and it's advertising, I ran across quite a number of things about the company that are less than honestly described.

Corporate integrity means as much or more to me than the product they produce.

I would not care to own one.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 17 June 2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Well, after some of the comments here about the in house movement debacle I did some further checking, and it certainly does call in to question the integrity of the owners. It's a shame, because as many pointed out, Bremont produces a fine line of watches with many unique and interesting attributes, and it seems their deception was unnecessary.

I still like several models, and I think their designs, materials and production processes are interesting, I don't want to give up in the brand. But it is disconcerting, undermines my confidence in the long term reliability of the firm, not the mechanical reliability of their watches.

I'm a buy and hold watch fan, and I want to be confident of the organization behind the timepiece. My enthusiasm has cooled a bit, I'll go slow on this one, not writing them off but a bit more wary.
Old 8 December 2015, 04:05 PM   #12
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Bremont makes very high quality watches and is doing A LOT of business with the military. I think their future is bright. Here's my favorite watch of my entire collection, the Bremont Dragon Lady:

Old 8 December 2015, 09:01 PM   #13
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Not my cup of tea. Trying too hard to be something they are not. The In House debacle was the last nail in the coffin for me.

Old 14 December 2015, 08:22 AM   #14
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I recently bought a Solo CR. And immediately sent it to have a service done as it was 5 yrs old and I wanted to make sure that everything was in perfect running order.
Old 14 December 2015, 08:43 AM   #15
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
I've see a few in person... At this time I will pass.

The company seems to be play a lot in the marketing-to-the-tool-watch crowd space. The mechanisms are based on ETA. The stories behind timepieces are "inspired" by the typical macho-man stuff most of average guys can only dream about.
Old 16 December 2015, 04:30 AM   #16
Gundam
"TRF" Member

All companies put a spin on their products, it's the nature of marketing. TagHeuer did a similar thing with their 'in house' Seiko-based movement. There are worse trespasses in my opinion, such as the Panerai limited edition with the (not so) special movement.
Old 16 December 2015, 05:31 AM   #17
towernick
Banned

Too many other watches to own at Bremont's price points.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:52 AM   #18
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
I own an ALT1 ZT/BK and it’s an outstanding watch. It’s a heavily modified eta movement, and this particular one is the most accurate wristwatch I’ve ever owned — and I’ve owned a lot of Rolexes.

The case construction is a bit unusual, but I wear it on a NATO and I’m pleased about the prettier... maybe more attractive ... case. I recently bought and sold the Tudor GMT, because it wasn’t anywhere near as comfortable (or as accurate) as the Bremont.

Their watches are robust, easy to wear (if a little bulky), reliable, functional, and innovative. Bremont’s rotating chapter ring is a nice piece of engineering and locates with a feel that is seconded only by Rolex’s gmt bezel. They also nicely apply the lume which is thick, bright, and includes a 0/24 hour marker on the chapter ring as well as on the chrono hands.

On the downside for me: the Zulu vs. GMT hand movement is frustrating (I travel a bit and prefer ‘true gmt’ hand operation), I can’t wear the leather strap because the clasp irritates my wrist (which means it’s a bit hard for me to dress it up), and the watch is a bit tall (though 1.5mm thinner than the PO GMT).

In short, I think Bremont get a pretty rough and undeserved deal.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 13 September 2018, 02:56 AM   #19
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Why did you dig up 3 old Bremont threads and post your same review to all 3?

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
Old 13 September 2018, 04:21 AM   #20
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Why did you dig up 3 old Bremont threads and post your same review to all 3?

Because not all people read each thread and sometimes only stumble across one. Better question to ask why there are three threads asking largely the same question, and an even better question is to ask why you would be so upset at my cross-posting to write a comment about the fact (on all three), rather than on the content of the posts.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 13 September 2018, 05:03 AM   #21
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I'm far from upset, I'm actually amused. I'm just genuinely curious as to your unusual thought process. I've yet to see this tactic, of digging up multiple old threads (one that has been dead for 3 years) to post the same thing. Why stop at 3? Why not 5 or 10? Surely more people will stumble upon 10 different threads than 3. Now, a part of me wanted to stop at one thread response. But I amuse myself too much.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
Closed Thread